What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is State of Origin hindering NRL expansion?

T-Boon

Coach
State of Origin gets eye balls on rugby league in expansion areas but unfortunately state of origin has been an ugly sports spectacle for the last 15 years (the last few years it has improved a bit), especially during Gallen's era. It used to be the pinnacle of excitement.
I imagine eyeballs in expansion areas are left with no strong desire to watch more RL after a SOO game.

State of Origin gets eye balls on rugby league in expansion areas but unfortunately state of origin has been an ugly sports spectacle for the last 15 years (the last few years it has improved a bit), especially during Gallen's era. It used to be the pinnacle of excitement.
I imagine eyeballs in expansion areas are left with no strong desire to watch more RL after a SOO game.
If the refs are going to put the whistle in their pocket and allow slow rucks then they should allow players to have a good biff, like the one in 1995 at the MCG. Everyone loved it.

mongoose

Coach

what rubbish. As much as I hate to admit - QLD had an incredible side for much of that time and played some of the most attractive Rugby League ever seen. You're an idiot if you think Inglis, Thurston, Slater doing their thing wasn't a great advertisement for the game. NSW on the other hand were often dire to watch....

T-Boon

Coach
what rubbish. As much as I hate to admit - QLD had an incredible side for much of that time and played some of the most attractive Rugby League ever seen. You're an idiot if you think Inglis, Thurston, Slater doing their thing wasn't a great advertisement for the game. NSW on the other hand were often dire to watch....

It just became structured and wrestle based. I heard Andrew Johns call it a second rowers game in about 2011. He is right. For NSW the ball never got past Bird and Gallen 3 men off the ruck. When SOO was great it was a heck of a spectacle with rehearsed set moves and what not. I think they get into camp now and just practice tackling/wrestling.

Travitoh

First Grade

Is this fact or your opinion?

Because being from Adelaide i can tell you that State of Origin does create an appetite for RL here.
Since it started being broadcast into the state live about 10 years ago, there has been a definite increase in interest of the NRL, to the point that there are some people who choose to support Parramatta!

Is this fact or your opinion?

Because being from Adelaide i can tell you that State of Origin does create an appetite for RL here.
Since it started being broadcast into the state live about 10 years ago, there has been a definite increase in interest of the NRL, to the point that there are some people who choose to support Parramatta!
Doesn't Darren Lehmann support the Eels?

Latest posts