What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Needless to say it shows what impact perception has on how we believe players perform..

Not for me buddy I’m all about the stats. My post stated he had a great year & was rewarded with origin call up despite his high errors. Also stated it’s a positive because if that’s tidied up he’ll be an even better player.

It’s also a fact he does compete for more than his own share of attacking kicks so it’s inevitable he’ll pick up errors as a result.
I’m curious..

If you’re “all about the stats”, how can you say that Lomax had a great year?

He came out on top of most of the negative stats & only topped the points one due to goal kicking..

And I still disagree with the whole perception that it’s “trying to catch attacking kicks” that leads to errors.

Did you know Ravalawa scored as many tries as Lomax with half the error rate? He has a better tackling efficiency too.. (Yet so many call for his head week in week out)

It’s all about perception..

kit66

Bench
Mate you are delusional living in Lala Land. All his attacking stats are mediocre compared to other top 8 fullbacks. I’ve comprehensively listed all of them on here once before not doing it again.

But I will say this;

Due to Dufty’s pathetic kick returns he ranked 34th in average run meters. There simply isn’t an argument to justify that! We need a bigger body running the ball back with purpose to get our sets off on a positive. Dufty is a coward constantly volunteering in tackles. Posters on here constantly rubbish our forwards for not dominating but it’s impossible to dominate when you are constantly turning around running 30-40 meters & hitting the ball up from inside our own 20!

1) Tedesco
2) RTS
4) Dylan Edwards
5) Papenhuzen
6) Gutherson
8) Ponga
11) Nicol-Klokstad
19) Jordan Pereia
22) Brimson
28) Adam Douihi
30) Will Hopoate
33) Paul Vaughan
34) Dufty
35) Euan Aitken
48) Mikaele Ravalawa

How are we supposed to win & dominate footy games with stats like that? Not doing Hunt any favours either.

Better get your Kleenex ready for when he’s dropped & not resigned for 2022. Not my personal opinion just analytics.

You declare yourself Lord of the Stats one minute and next you're gonna beat me down with one statistic ? ( the only one that goes anywhere near supporting your wild theories ) and it's not even a bad stat - yeah, he's in the top 50 for kick return metres, that's a good thing dude. He's also in the top 50 players in the league for Tackle Breaks, Line Breaks, Line Break Assists, Tries, Try Assists, Run Metres, Intercepts, Line Engaged and the one you seem to have conveniently missed, Kick Return Metres - for which he's 6th in the league you muppet. Funnily enough he's nowhere near the top 50 for Missed Tackles or Ineffective Tackles, go figure.
In Dufty's first season he was topping the league for Tackle Breaks but because he got rag dolled a couple of times he was told to go to ground and do voluntary tackles - a favourite ploy of McGregor and Young's Coaching Tips for Losers.
Any more blanks in that gun Statboy.

Como Connection

First Grade
I’m curious..

He came out on top of most of the negative stats & only topped the points one due to goal kicking..

And I still disagree with the whole perception that it’s “trying to catch attacking kicks” that leads to errors.

Did you know Ravalawa scored as many tries as Lomax with half the error rate? He has a better tackling efficiency too.. (Yet so many call for his head week in week out)

Good man Rav, a must pick each game.
CC

Maddragon99

Juniors
I’m curious..

Mate not going to argue with you, you are entitled to your opinion & I respect that.

The facts;

Between Lomax, Rav & Ramsey we scored 27 tries on the right compared to 5 tries on the left. Not too bad.

Lomax was the equal highest club try scorer with Dufty & Rav. Not too bad.

Lomax was the fourth highest comp try scorer for a centre (10th overall) not bad for a 12th placed side.

Lomax was the 5th highest comp point scorer even in a 12th placed team. Not too bad

Lomax had a 79% goal conversion rate, reasonable but can be improved with practice & experience. Like to see that at 85% or above.

Lomax didn’t rate in the top 50 for missed tackles. Not too bad (Hunt & Norman were the standouts for us)

Lomax was selected in the NSW Origin squad not bad for a 20yr old.

You see his errors as a negative whereas I see them as a positive. He posted some pretty solid numbers in 2020 in a well beaten team even with his personal error rate. imagine what’s possible in 2021 when he’s tidied up his handling.

it’s simply a fact Lomax is a targeted weapon for attacking kicks. You only need to watch his 2020 highlight reel to see this. It’s inevitable he’s going to drop a few which will count as errors.

Hope that clears that up for you :thumbsup:

Maddragon99

Juniors
You declare yourself Lord of the Stats one minute and next you're gonna beat me down with one statistic ? ( the only one that goes anywhere near supporting your wild theories ) and it's not even a bad stat - yeah, he's in the top 50 for kick return metres, that's a good thing dude. He's also in the top 50 players in the league for Tackle Breaks, Line Breaks, Line Break Assists, Tries, Try Assists, Run Metres, Intercepts, Line Engaged and the one you seem to have conveniently missed, Kick Return Metres - for which he's 6th in the league you muppet. Funnily enough he's nowhere near the top 50 for Missed Tackles or Ineffective Tackles, go figure.
In Dufty's first season he was topping the league for Tackle Breaks but because he got rag dolled a couple of times he was told to go to ground and do voluntary tackles - a favourite ploy of McGregor and Young's Coaching Tips for Losers.
Any more blanks in that gun Statboy.
Mate I took a hour or so a few weeks ago to post a comprehensive analysis of Dufty, if you were a regular on here you would have seen it. Back at work now I don’t have the time to do it again. Get over it.

kit66

Bench
[QUOTE="Maddragon99, post: 14503084, member: 51313"

Lomax didn’t rate in the top 50 for missed tackles. Not too bad (Hunt & Norman were the standouts for us)

You see his errors as a negative whereas I see them as a positive. He posted some pretty solid numbers in 2020 in a well beaten team even with his personal error rate. imagine what’s possible in 2021 when he’s tidied up his handling.

it’s simply a fact Lomax is a targeted weapon for attacking kicks. You only need to watch his 2020 highlight reel to see this. It’s inevitable he’s going to drop a few which will count as errors.

[/QUOTE]

But he did top the list for Ineffective Tackles ( and Errors and Negative Plays ).
You can blame the tackling on technique and McGregor and Youngs' Defensive Structures for Losers but the handling, despite your excuses needs to be sorted.
I love the guy but he really needs to get those negatives out of his game fast, he has the Feagais, Bird and others who can press for a shot if anyone fails to perform. I'm pretty confident he'll improve though.

kit66

Bench
Mate I took a hour or so a few weeks ago to post a comprehensive analysis of Dufty, if you were a regular on here you would have seen it. Back at work now I don’t have the time to do it again. Get over it.

If you posted it weeks ago but still feel the need come back day after day and defend it maybe it's you who needs to get over it, or just give up, you're not convincing anyone.
Or cut and paste it, I could use a laugh.

kit66

Bench
But I will say this;

Due to Dufty’s pathetic kick returns he ranked 34th in average run meters. There simply isn’t an argument to justify that! We need a bigger body running the ball back with purpose to get our sets off on a positive. Dufty is a coward constantly volunteering in tackles. Posters on here constantly rubbish our forwards for not dominating but it’s impossible to dominate when you are constantly turning around running 30-40 meters & hitting the ball up from inside our own 20!

Better get your Kleenex ready for when he’s dropped & not resigned for 2022. Not my personal opinion just analytics.

What's pathetic is manipulating the stats to support your argument.
Dufty is 6th for kick return metres, 34th for All Metres Gained.

These are the stats off NRL.com.
Games Played / Average Kick Return Metres per game

Kick Return Metres

Dylan
Edwards

Panthers

Clinton
Gutherson

Eels

Caleb
Aekins
Panthers

James
Tedesco

Roosters

Ryan
Papenhuyzen

Storm

Matthew
Dufty

Dragons

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-13_14-18-36.png
    upload_2021-1-13_14-18-36.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 1
    60.3 KB · Views: 1
    56 KB · Views: 1
    63.3 KB · Views: 1
    69.7 KB · Views: 1
    67.4 KB · Views: 1

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Mate not going to argue with you, you are entitled to your opinion & I respect that.

The facts;

Between Lomax, Rav & Ramsey we scored 27 tries on the right compared to 5 tries on the left. Not too bad.

Lomax was the equal highest club try scorer with Dufty & Rav. Not too bad.

Lomax was the fourth highest comp try scorer for a centre (10th overall) not bad for a 12th placed side.

Lomax was the 5th highest comp point scorer even in a 12th placed team. Not too bad

Lomax had a 79% goal conversion rate, reasonable but can be improved with practice & experience. Like to see that at 85% or above.

Lomax was selected in the NSW Origin squad not bad for a 20yr old.

Hope that clears that up for you :thumbsup:
And despite all of that, there were still others in the team who he couldn’t better when it came to every other positive stat (bar goal kicking)..

Nobody is arguing here.. Just find it amusing that once again the minute anyone mentions Lomax’s errors, people rush to find excuses..

It still remains a matter of people’s perception of players..

Oh, and Lomax let in more tries than he scored....

redVinme

Juniors
Zac defs has work to do in defence. Another off season will help with first contact and decision making hopefully.

That said if we are talking stats Zac made the most tackles of any centre in the comp last season. Excluding back rowers who are dual players according to nrl.com

Bound to lead to errors in judgement for a young player.

Hopefully if he tidies it up, is selective in attack and cuts out the unforced errors we will have a real gem.

Maddragon99

Juniors
What's pathetic is manipulating the stats to support your argument.
Dufty is 6th for kick return metres, 34th for All Metres Gained.

These are the stats off NRL.com.
Games Played / Average Kick Return Metres per game

Kick Return Metres

Dylan
Edwards

Panthers

Clinton
Gutherson

Eels

Caleb
Aekins
Panthers

James
Tedesco

Roosters

Ryan
Papenhuyzen

Storm

Matthew
Dufty

Dragons
Wow Kit you’re really gone the extra mile there to make a point. I’m impressed :thumbsup:

Maddragon99

Juniors
Indeed it did but Creagh played league all his life where as Mr Ravalawa is relatively new to league and still learning. Plus I love watching him iron out opposition outside backs
Agreed, Creagh was much fitter & younger when he made the switch. JP might actually be a better candidate for the backrow

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I prefer to put Rams on Lomax's side if he gets a start on the wing ahead of JP.
Why though?

Cody proved during the 9s that he can play on the left..

And if Rava & Lomax have a good combination going in attack, why break it up? Plus Ravalawa can be there to help clean up any defensive lapses from Lomax..

Latest posts