What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

Travitoh

First Grade
I think less of Corey Allan leaving the club a year early because he played a couple of good games at the back end of last season than i do of Luke Keary who was out of contract when he left.

callmack1

Staff member
From the Sydney Morning Herald, check out the bit in bold part way down,

'It all happened in four days' - Instant attraction for Allan at Bulldogs

Corey Allan needed just one meeting with Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett to convince him to quit South Sydney and try his luck at nailing down the Canterbury No.1 jersey.

Allan met Barrett last Wednesday, accepted a three-year deal on Thursday, informed his Souths teammates of the news on Friday before eventually locating Belmore on his map to begin life as a Bulldog on Monday.

The 22-year-old, who was cut loose by Wayne Bennett at Brisbane, was given the supercoach's blessing this time to join the Dogs due to the depth in the outside backs at Redfern.

Allan knew he would have struggled to bump Latrell Mitchell from the Souths' No.1 jersey, and will give it his all to nail down the Canterbury custodian role, a position Will Hopoate has had to keep returning to in recent years.

Allan's departure will pave the way for Penrith flyer Josh Mansour to sign a two-year deal at Souths by the end of the week. There was a report on Monday that Souths were keen to swoop on Wests Tigers favourite David Nofoaluma, but the preference is former Souths junior Mansour.

After completing his first session at Canterbury on a balmy summer's day, Allan told the Herald he was immediately won over by Barrett.

"It all happened in the space of about four days,'' Allan said. "I got a call from my manager Sam [Ayoub] on the Tuesday, I met 'Baz' on the Wednesday, and I told the Souths boys on the Friday.

"Baz said he really wanted to have me, he knew he could improve my game and how it was a good opportunity for me. I felt he was being really genuine. He's quite involved, he's young, excited and I'm intrigued to see what happens.

"Obviously I want to play fullback, that's my goal. I won't be too picky about where I play, but I am most comfortable [at fullback].

"Wayne wants the best for his players, he's always been good to me. He told me the truth, he said Latrell is here, I deserve to be playing first grade, and if I can find somewhere else he'll happily release me because he wants the best for me.''

Allan, who made his Maroons debut late last year, still struggles getting around Sydney and almost got lost heading to the south-western suburbs.

He made a point of not thinking about where he was going to fit into Bennett's back-line plans. Mitchell, Campbell Graham, Alex Johnston, Dane Gagai, Braidon Burns, Steven Marsters and even Tautau Moga are all on the payroll.

Allan was understood to be on about $350,000 this year, and received an upgrade at the Dogs.

Josh Mansour has played all of his 158 NRL games for Penrith but has been told his services are unwanted for the coming season.

Barrett's strike rate at nailing down players has continued. Allan joins Kyle Flanagan, Nick Cotric and Jack Hetherington, along with Josh Addo-Carr who arrives in 2022.

Souths praised Allan, who did a solid job at fullback once Mitchell broke down with a hamstring tear in the run home to the finals.

"Corey has done a great job for our club over the past two seasons and he goes to his new club knowing he has the respect of everyone at Souths," club football manager Mark Ellison said.

"His preferred position - and his best position - is fullback and the opportunity to play in that position on a regular basis is not there with us.

"He feels he will have a better opportunity to play fullback at his new club, on an extended and improved deal than that which he had with us. We felt it would be unfair to stand in the way of Corey progressing his career somewhere else, he will always be a Rabbitoh, and we wish him and his partner Teigan all the best for the future.''

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs sign international winger Josh Mansour for seasons 2021 and 2022: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...inger-josh-mansour-for-seasons-2021-and-2022/

Bunnies pounce on star Panther brutally axed 48 hours after Grand Final loss: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/9aa3c9a7aecd2f94754f49d1cee6fbc8

Absolutely wrapped to have this confirmed!! Honestly stoked! A great signing in my opinion. I've seen some people comment that he's too old or that he's too slow, bullshit if you ask me. Mansour is still an elite winger and it still one of the best wingers out there. 30 is still young ish so he still has a few great years of Footy to come. He completes our squad in my opinion and has us absolutely primed for a Premiership tilt. An elite meter-eating winger is what we've been crying our for and that's exactly what we've got. Wrapped with this.

Well done Souths, welcome home Sauce!

We bid for his services too, virtually the moment the panthers speared him.

I’ve been hoping to pick him up, but he wanted 3 years. We offered 2 like you, but he held out and then of course the caravan moves on and we couldn’t find a settlement.

I wanted him because he’s still a very accomplished player ( sound stats) beyond excellent club man.

The new rules require high levels of fitness or high skills.

He has very good height which will present more options in attack and being big and rangey, with a bit of work he could slip into a utility role as well. Some second phase when he’s running the ball out.

I’ve never seen him not try his best. What he lacks in grace, he makes up in will power. I think Allen was a similar player.

There is also some like for like stylistically in terms of playing what’s in front of you that he would be accustomed to.

I’m not sure I’f he’s the messiah, but I like his game. Whether he can find a permanent place is of interest. I’m sure he will get a crack.

The Panthers were terrible to him. Day after losing the grand final, they stab him hard. He was heartbroken.

Anyway, this makes up for it. Probably a blessing for him after their darkest off season. Probably even their mascot is off to greener pastures as well.

Renno’s last year contract. It will be interesting to see what he’s offered and whether he will stay. There’s not a lot of high quality halves out there.

Last edited:

Jim Rockford

Bench
Renno’s last year contract. It will be interesting to see what he’s offered and whether he will stay. There’s not a lot of high quality halves out there.
I will be bitterly disappointed if we don't do everything necessary to keep Reyno, but he loves the place so much he'll work with us to make sure he ends up a one-club man.

Probably a more general comment, but I’m trying to figure out how the clubs are adjusting to the new rules etc in terms of make up of the sqaud. Where the clubs expectations lie as to how to best address the speed of the game.

A big push in our side for monster forwards, less interest for the rake and even fullback where say others are chasing marquee backs when their forwards seem far less composed.

You haven’t really been able to spend this year, so it’s a question of training and adjustment or available players. A few other clubs in the same boat such as Manly, well coached, but not as strong.

We paid a whopping $700k for Douhie but he’s been a great buy for us and on the up.

Travitoh

First Grade
Probably a more general comment, but I’m trying to figure out how the clubs are adjusting to the new rules etc in terms of make up of the sqaud. Where the clubs expectations lie as to how to best address the speed of the game.

A big push in our side for monster forwards, less interest for the rake and even fullback where say others are chasing marquee backs when their forwards seem far less composed.

You haven’t really been able to spend this year, so it’s a question of training and adjustment or available players. A few other clubs in the same boat such as Manly, well coached, but not as strong.

We paid a whopping $700k for Douhie but he’s been a great buy for us and on the up.

IMO, the modern game requires forwards to be athletic and play 50+ minutes. The proof is in the final 4 from last season for mine. Teams just can't afford to carry forwards who play less minutes than they sit.

IMO, the modern game requires forwards to be athletic and play 50+ minutes. The proof is in the final 4 from last season for mine. Teams just can't afford to carry forwards who play less minutes than they sit.

I think that’s the case.

I certainly think there’s no value in a crack backline without at least competent forwards.

I’ve got this sense, can’t quite put my finger on it, but the changes may not result in the flow we want and the staccato of the game will remain more or less in situ.

I don’t get the object of the new field goal point business at all. Excellent for recognised kickers though.

An extreme view, but we may see sides actually trying to lose ground! Unnerving! I might not be understanding it fully though (lol).

handyman2190

Bench
Handy my pessimistic bro I should have said 100% for sauce not 99.9% lol. There may be some further news soon that will make you "buck" for joy. That's buck with "b":laughing: get the whip out son! Is 2190 your postcode by any chance?
Brother mixo, your unbelievable!!, use to be now its 2196, close.
You also know im anxious for pengai junior, but you insinuated katoni stags, i feel we need a forward rather than a back, but! Gags is going 30 and i cant justify the reported 700k and he hasnt resigned,if we add 100 or 150k to gags money staggs would be great plus he is a nsw boy,would he come home?

Wizardman

First Grade
You guys have a young bloke names Blake Taaffe who could have an interesting year in NSW Cup.....one to watch, keeping in mind it is a Reynolds contract year.

Latest posts