What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

If you just stick with "Sydney" instead of "North Sydney" then what are the bears getting out of it?, still be using SFS fulltime, just train and trails at NSO with 1 home game a year there, makes mo sense for them to both merge but not actually merge in name

Player pathways to the NRL, more funding as well as corporate opportunities? I know we’ve run with Sydney for a while now but how many Easts fans do you know who call the club Sydney? I don’t know any and the younger ones just call us Roosters. Sydney is pretty neutral to me and encompasses a greater area plus its 50% of North’s existing name anyway. My Norths buddies (small survey group admittedly) aren’t bothered by the name either as they think of us as Easts, too. Anyway, my guess is bears are still pinning their hopes on the CC move and view us as a stepping stone until then.

No one is moving to the central coast for all the reasons stated here , the balance is about right atm
The area can support around 3 NRL club games a year & support them well. But thats about it.

MugaB

Coach
Player pathways to the NRL, more funding as well as corporate opportunities? I know we’ve run with Sydney for a while now but how many Easts fans do you know who call the club Sydney? I don’t know any and the younger ones just call us Roosters. Sydney is pretty neutral to me and encompasses a greater area plus its 50% of North’s existing name anyway. My Norths buddies (small survey group admittedly) aren’t bothered by the name either as they think of us as Easts, too. Anyway, my guess is bears are still pinning their hopes on the CC move and view us as a stepping stone until then.
Yeah youre still thinking with your rooster hat on, Again theres nothing in it for the north sydney bears to let roosters properly take over the area, if the name change is not there, besides where's "Sydney" there's 9 teams here, its not the harbour, or bondi or circular quay, be milk or be nothing, should just revert back to calling yourselves easts, atleast then we all know where you are, not a new fan having to look up google to find out roosters were eastern suburbs, before trying to be everything to everyone as "Sydney"

Yeah youre still thinking with your rooster hat on, Again theres nothing in it for the north sydney bears to let roosters properly take over the area, if the name change is not there, besides where's "Sydney" there's 9 teams here, its not the harbour, or bondi or circular quay, be milk or be nothing, should just revert back to calling yourselves easts, atleast then we all know where you are, not a new fan having to look up google to find out roosters were eastern suburbs, before trying to be everything to everyone as "Sydney"

Do Melbournians complain about an AFL club called Melbourne? The fans know where we’re based. I’ve already mentioned what Norths get out of it. I should also add the benefit of survival to the list as well.

MugaB

Coach
Do Melbournians complain about an AFL club called Melbourne? The fans know where we’re based. I’ve already mentioned what Norths get out of it. I should also add the benefit of survival to the list as well.
What survival? The Bears dont exist in top flight, so why do they feel the need to give up anything and who gives a sh1ť about Melbournians and ALF anyways, im sure the demons werent eastern suburbs before becoming Melbourne demons anyway, just like broncos started as brisbane, eastern suburbs went 88 years before switching to "sydney city" which also would be fine, as that atleast defined where in sydney it represented.

Then now Sydney, and that would be fine if it was a one or two team city, but there's nine, it's just stupid, no wonder RL fans hate them, its not the success that gets a mention, its the audacity to proclaim this club above all others in sydney.

What survival? The Bears dont exist in top flight, so why do they feel the need to give up anything and who gives a sh1ť about Melbournians and ALF anyways, im sure the demons werent eastern suburbs before becoming Melbourne demons anyway, just like broncos started as brisbane, eastern suburbs went 88 years before switching to "sydney city" which also would be fine, as that atleast defined where in sydney it represented.

Then now Sydney, and that would be fine if it was a one or two team city, but there's nine, it's just stupid, no wonder RL fans hate them, its not the success that gets a mention, its the audacity to proclaim this club above all others in sydney.

So we weren’t hated when we were Easts? Maybe people really were yelling boo-urns back then.

I’m happy to go back to Sydney City if it helps get Norths fans to hop on board. We’ll still be registered as Eastern Suburbs Rugby League Football Club, though. I doubt there’ll be an appetite at board level to become a new entity and finish on 15 premierships like Saints did but we’re not in financial trouble.

MugaB

Coach
So we weren’t hated when we were Easts? Maybe people really were yelling boo-urns back then.

I’m happy to go back to Sydney City if it helps get Norths fans to hop on board. We’ll still be registered as Eastern Suburbs Rugby League Football Club, though. I doubt there’ll be an appetite at board level to become a new entity and finish on 15 premierships like Saints did but we’re not in financial trouble.
The only way to get Norths fans onboard, is to call yourselves norths, you'd still be Sydney Roosters, playing at SFS, colors of Navy, Red and white, all you'd need to do is add North.

I suppose there's an issue losing any previous premierships, if becoming a new entity, like wests and tigers both starting from 1908, but only being the one premiership, thats a huge compromise, i suppose just keeping it a simple name change might be enough, instead of an announced official merger, which still leaves the bears a possible future on the central coast or elsewhere if they so choose to in future expansion bids, i suppose no different than today, but atleast the roosters could properly represent the northern suburbs better than any other team has since the loss of the bears, but it would only happen if norths got their name involved, calling yourselves Sydney, does nothing for them, nothing that isn't happening now

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
I like your alternate jersey, funny though, I was thinking the white Citibank era as the away kit. My thoughts were, still stick with Sydney and perhaps go back to a the bridge (but classier) logo further linking the two districts. North Sydney is too bigger leap for me. Sydney speaks to both parties plus I think we would be nuts to walk away from the new SFS. We signed a 20 year lease anyway. As I said, ex bears fans don’t have an issue going to the SCG as it is so a shiny new modern stadium might be a good lure for lapsed fans. But would love a couple of games at NSO especially against Manly. If even for ol’ time sakes.

Just change the navy blue to black or become the Northern Sydney Roosters as Easts are now the defacto CC Bears

Also the Souths-Easts district change occurred back in 1937 not in the 50s

MugaB

Coach
Just change the navy blue to black or become the Northern Sydney Roosters as Easts are now the defacto CC Bears

Also the Souths-Easts district change occurred back in 1937 not in the 50s
Correct i forgot that, the map i saw was a 1950s border change, obviously happened back in '37 tho
Border_2.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Since when does anyone refer to the Roosters as 'Sydney'? I have never heard someone say 'I go for Sydney' . All their fans either refer to themselves as the Roosters or Easts.

They still need to get rid of that abomination of a logo though.

Guess again champ, you have only 4 junior clubs. Bondi United, Clovelly Crocodiles, Paddington Colts, St Charles Waverley.
Souths took more than half the area you posted way back in the 50s, all im saying is that you might be a 1st grade success over the years, but really aren't vital to the regions in sydney that are more important if they got moved away from their areas, if the roosters were to move on, souths would just swallow that area up, and there wouldn't be a difference, any other club would leave a sizeable hole
View attachment 45151
View attachment 45152
Sydney Rabbitohs, tri colours.

mongoose

Coach
Guess again champ, you have only 4 junior clubs. Bondi United, Clovelly Crocodiles, Paddington Colts, St Charles Waverley.
Souths took more than half the area you posted way back in the 50s, all im saying is that you might be a 1st grade success over the years, but really aren't vital to the regions in sydney that are more important if they got moved away from their areas, if the roosters were to move on, souths would just swallow that area up, and there wouldn't be a difference, any other club would leave a sizeable hole
View attachment 45151
View attachment 45152

Manly just gets all of north sydney by default lol

flippikat

Bench
No one is moving to the central coast for all the reasons stated here , the balance is about right atm
The area can support around 3 NRL club games a year & support them well. But thats about it.

Good point, and come to think of it.. if the Illawarra Steelers weren't sustainable as a stand-alone top tier club, probably neither is the Central Coast. So perhaps we should be looking towards the "East Coast Roosters" with 9 home games per season at SFS, 3 at Gosford, and a "Return to North Sydney Oval" trial match each year?

siv

First Grade
Good point, and come to think of it.. if the Illawarra Steelers weren't sustainable as a stand-alone top tier club, probably neither is the Central Coast. So perhaps we should be looking towards the "East Coast Roosters" with 9 home games per season at SFS, 3 at Gosford, and a "Return to North Sydney Oval" trial match each year?

I would call them the Eastern Roosters and let them play in Wellington NZ

flippikat

Bench
I would call them the Eastern Roosters and let them play in Wellington NZ

I know I've said that I'd support any team that moved here, but *that* would cause untold chaos in my house.

I live there, but my wife's a Souths fan.

The only way I could justify buying a season pass is if I told her we'd go to boo them every game.

Cactus

Juniors
I know I've said that I'd support any team that moved here, but *that* would cause untold chaos in my house.

I live there, but my wife's a Souths fan.

The only way I could justify buying a season pass is if I told her we'd go to boo them every game.

Soft !

Just reassess how attached you really are to her.