What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 2021 semi realistic sides

mickeylane

Bench
If Norman fails to fire in the first 6 rounds I think Junior Armone could surprisingly be blooded at 6 - he has all the hallmarks of a “Hook” young gun selection “brash, confident, natural” this kid will be our teams future superstar along w Ramsay and Lomax who I believe will be the SOO right centre but the end of 2021 (he’s improved that much it’s not funny and I’ve been one of his early detractors ). I expect Dragons to follow the Penrith blueprint and start blooding a lot of the young backline Talent quite early and reaping the rewards in years to come ... best backline talent I can remember since 2008 (Morris twins, Gaz, Coops)

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
If Norman fails to fire in the first 6 rounds I think Junior Armone could surprisingly be blooded at 6 - he has all the hallmarks of a “Hook” young gun selection “brash, confident, natural” this kid will be our teams future superstar along w Ramsay and Lomax who I believe will be the SOO right centre but the end of 2021 (he’s improved that much it’s not funny and I’ve been one of his early detractors ). I expect Dragons to follow the Penrith blueprint and start blooding a lot of the young backline Talent quite early and reaping the rewards in years to come ... best backline talent I can remember since 2008 (Morris twins, Gaz, Coops)
All the interviews I’ve seen so far people have specifically mentioned Amone. I agree he could be a very realistic option to debut this season. I’m not sure of his contract situation but I reckon he’ll be upgraded. Hopefully he and Sullivan are our halves for years to come.

getsmarty

Immortal
Five players, two spots: St George Illawarra Dragons star weighs in on halves battle ahead of 2021 season
Written By Liam O'Loughlin
@ljoloughlin

Five players, two spots - Anthony Griffin has quite the task on his hands.

With two months left until the start of the 2021 NRL season, the St George Illawarra Dragons have a massive battle between five halves that could see Origin stars miss out.

Ben Hunt, Corey Norman, Adam Clune, Jayden Sullivan and Junior Amone are all vying for the jerseys No.6 and No.7 this year, aiming to impress their new coach in Griffin.

Hunt and Norman have struggled in recent years and have come under plenty of scrutiny, and while they are the front-runners as it stands, they are no certainties to claim the halves spots.

Mature-age rookie Clune had a solid first season in the top grade, while Sullivan got a taste towards the end of the year.

The X-factor in the conversation is Amone, who isn't even in the Dragons top 30 squad, but has been ripping in at training and is ready to knock down the door in the next 12-18 months.

Speaking to the media on Thursday, star centre Zac Lomax weighed in on the tough decision that awaits Griffin ahead of their round one clash with Cronulla.

“Not exactly sure (who will play in the halves) - but whoever it is filling that role, that’s what will be best for the team, and everyone in our team wants what is best for our team," he said.

"We’ve got a lot of halves there at the moment – obviously Benny and Normy, they have both played State of Origin. Adam Clune was there last year and he was unreal for us.

"The thing we’ve got on our side at the Red V is we’ve got a lot of talent in the halves, and whoever is going to be there will do an unreal role for us.

“You look at the young halves who are coming through – Sully played one game at the end of last year and he was unreal.

"Junior Amone – I have only been here for a week and a bit, and to see some of the skill he produces is unreal and the sky is going to be the limit for him."

Amone has come through the grades for Illawarra, and formed a lethal halves combination with Sullivan in the SG Ball competition as the Steelers took out the title in 2019.

The pair are seen by many as the future long-term halves combination for the Dragons, such is the talent and desire to succeed that both young men possess.

With a new coach at the helm, Lomax believes the Dragons are destined for big things in 2021 after some lean seasons under Paul McGregor.

Lomax's own game rose to new heights last year, and finished the season with a call-up to the NSW Origin squad.

Now, he's looking to bring that experience back to club level and improve on his game after locking down the right centre position inside barnstorming Fijian winger Mikaele Ravalawa.

“I was around the best players in the game, I just went in there and took my notepad and tried to understand every different player, their rituals and habits going into the biggest games they play,” he said.

“I feel like the week and a half I’ve been back that we’re building something special here.

‘I’m still getting a bit of a gage of it. Everything that I have had to do with Hook, he has been very simple and he cuts it down a lot. He instills a lot of confidence and keeps it short and sweet.

"I’m really looking forward to working with Hook – his success rate in the NRL has been unreal.

“We were building a good combination on the right edge, Mika is unreal to play with, he’s got such a powerful carry and he’s one of the best finishers in the game, in my opinion.

“I felt like the combinations we had towards the end of the season were really good and we’re building something special there, hopefully."

Dragons 2021 Predicted Team - Round 1

1. Matt Dufty
  2. Cody Ramsey
  3. Max Feagai
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Corey Norman
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Blake Lawrie
  9. Cameron McInnes
  10. Paul Vaughan
  11. Jackson Ford
  12. Tariq Sims
  13. Jack Bird
  14. Poasa Faamuisili
  15. Tyrell Fuimaono
  16. Trent Merrin
  17. Josh Kerr

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...iffin-rugby-league/11keivh613gbg1idaux04ymtir

Five players, two spots: St George Illawarra Dragons star weighs in on halves battle ahead of 2021 season
@ljoloughlin

With two months left until the start of the 2021 NRL season, the St George Illawarra Dragons have a massive battle between five halves that could see Origin stars miss out.

Ben Hunt, Corey Norman, Adam Clune, Jayden Sullivan and Junior Amone are all vying for the jerseys No.6 and No.7 this year, aiming to impress their new coach in Griffin.

Hunt and Norman have struggled in recent years and have come under plenty of scrutiny, and while they are the front-runners as it stands, they are no certainties to claim the halves spots.

Mature-age rookie Clune had a solid first season in the top grade, while Sullivan got a taste towards the end of the year.

The X-factor in the conversation is Amone, who isn't even in the Dragons top 30 squad, but has been ripping in at training and is ready to knock down the door in the next 12-18 months.

Speaking to the media on Thursday, star centre Zac Lomax weighed in on the tough decision that awaits Griffin ahead of their round one clash with Cronulla.

“Not exactly sure (who will play in the halves) - but whoever it is filling that role, that’s what will be best for the team, and everyone in our team wants what is best for our team," he said.

"We’ve got a lot of halves there at the moment – obviously Benny and Normy, they have both played State of Origin. Adam Clune was there last year and he was unreal for us.

"The thing we’ve got on our side at the Red V is we’ve got a lot of talent in the halves, and whoever is going to be there will do an unreal role for us.

“You look at the young halves who are coming through – Sully played one game at the end of last year and he was unreal.

"Junior Amone – I have only been here for a week and a bit, and to see some of the skill he produces is unreal and the sky is going to be the limit for him."

Amone has come through the grades for Illawarra, and formed a lethal halves combination with Sullivan in the SG Ball competition as the Steelers took out the title in 2019.

The pair are seen by many as the future long-term halves combination for the Dragons, such is the talent and desire to succeed that both young men possess.

With a new coach at the helm, Lomax believes the Dragons are destined for big things in 2021 after some lean seasons under Paul McGregor.

Lomax's own game rose to new heights last year, and finished the season with a call-up to the NSW Origin squad.

Now, he's looking to bring that experience back to club level and improve on his game after locking down the right centre position inside barnstorming Fijian winger Mikaele Ravalawa.

“I was around the best players in the game, I just went in there and took my notepad and tried to understand every different player, their rituals and habits going into the biggest games they play,” he said.

“I feel like the week and a half I’ve been back that we’re building something special here.

‘I’m still getting a bit of a gage of it. Everything that I have had to do with Hook, he has been very simple and he cuts it down a lot. He instills a lot of confidence and keeps it short and sweet.

"I’m really looking forward to working with Hook – his success rate in the NRL has been unreal.

“We were building a good combination on the right edge, Mika is unreal to play with, he’s got such a powerful carry and he’s one of the best finishers in the game, in my opinion.

“I felt like the combinations we had towards the end of the season were really good and we’re building something special there, hopefully."

1. Matt Dufty
  2. Cody Ramsey
  3. Max Feagai
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Corey Norman
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Blake Lawrie
  9. Cameron McInnes
  10. Paul Vaughan
  11. Jackson Ford
  12. Tariq Sims
  13. Jack Bird
  14. Poasa Faamuisili
  15. Tyrell Fuimaono
  16. Trent Merrin
  17. Josh Kerr

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...iffin-rugby-league/11keivh613gbg1idaux04ymtir
Lomax needs to find some synanyms for "unreal".

@ljoloughlin

1. Matt Dufty
  2. Cody Ramsey
  3. Max Feagai
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Corey Norman
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Blake Lawrie
  9. Cameron McInnes
  10. Paul Vaughan
  11. Jackson Ford
  12. Tariq Sims
  13. Jack Bird
  14. Poasa Faamuisili
  15. Tyrell Fuimaono
  16. Trent Merrin
  17. Josh Kerr

The only people not described as "unreal" by Lomax is Hunt and Norman. I concur.

kit66

Bench
@ljoloughlin

1. Matt Dufty
  2. Cody Ramsey
  3. Max Feagai
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Corey Norman
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Blake Lawrie
  9. Cameron McInnes
  10. Paul Vaughan
  11. Jackson Ford
  12. Tariq Sims
  13. Jack Bird
  14. Poasa Faamuisili
  15. Tyrell Fuimaono
  16. Trent Merrin
  17. Josh Kerr

Here's another predicted Dragons team that has no mention of Alvaro, why is that, does no-one rate him ? I think he's quite a solid player, capable of getting us some good momentum and a good defender if I remember correctly. I think we'd benefit from his experience. If Bird plays lock ( which I kind of doubt - at least early in the season ) I'd have Lawrie as the bench lock and Alvaro or Po partnering Vaughan. Merrin in reserves.

In the halves I want Hunt with whoever can be a real organizing No.6 and take pressure off Hunt so he can do his thing. Hunt / Clune - Hunt / Sullivan - Hunt / Amone might work, did I miss anyone ?
I watched young Amone's highlights yesterday, very talented kid, I hope Covid doesn't interrupt things so we can watch him in CC this year and maybe even in 1sts for a spell during Origin maybe. I'm happy with our depth in the 1 to 7 this year, any injuries will just be an opportunity for one of the reserve backs to impress.

possm

Coach
Here's another predicted Dragons team that has no mention of Alvaro, why is that, does no-one rate him ? I think he's quite a solid player, capable of getting us some good momentum and a good defender if I remember correctly. I think we'd benefit from his experience. If Bird plays lock ( which I kind of doubt - at least early in the season ) I'd have Lawrie as the bench lock and Alvaro or Po partnering Vaughan. Merrin in reserves.

In the halves I want Hunt with whoever can be a real organizing No.6 and take pressure off Hunt so he can do his thing. Hunt / Clune - Hunt / Sullivan - Hunt / Amone might work, did I miss anyone ?
I watched young Amone's highlights yesterday, very talented kid, I hope Covid doesn't interrupt things so we can watch him in CC this year and maybe even in 1sts for a spell during Origin maybe. I'm happy with our depth in the 1 to 7 this year, any injuries will just be an opportunity for one of the reserve backs to impress.
Going on last seasons form, Norman and Hunt are both the problem not the solution. Unless Griffin and his staff have performed a miracle in the off-season, I'd like to see the both of them gone asap.

Our future in the halves is in the hands of our young juniors and so the sooner we can install them in first grade the better.

And out of the players we have in our squad at the moment, my forward pack for round 1 would be:
8. Kerr
9. McInnes - if he stays
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Ford - Bird to share time off the bench
13. Fuimaono

14. Bird
15. Alvaro
16. Faamausili
17. Lawrie

Last edited:

Drakon

Juniors
Article on Zero Tackle

Mitch Keating
Dragons rising star ready for major role in 2021
Could he be the successor to Tyson Frizell?

St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin has the tough task of finding Tyson Frizell’s successor in 2021, with the Origin star heading to Newcastle following the conclusion of last season.

While the void left by Frizell will remain a key stepping stone for the Dragons’ success this season, 22-year-old back-rower Jackson Ford is eager for the challenge after impressing Griffin and his teammates, per The Daily Telegraph.

Ford has played 17 games in the Red V as he enters his third season at Kogarah and revealed his eagerness to step into Frizell’s role.

“It was massive seeing Frizz go, he’s an Origin player and one of the best back-rowers in the whole comp. But Hook trusts us,” Ford told The Telegraph.

“Last year I was floating around a bit, a bit of middle and edge but I do like the edge, so I want to knuckle down and become more of an edge this year.

“I’m not as big as some of the middles, and I feel like I’ve got a bit more to bring on the edge.”

Ford believes Griffin’s ideology moving forward is set to complement his own game as he hopes to make major strides as a starter for the Dragons this year.

“I’ve been loving Hook, he’s more that old-school style – he always wants you pushing up with the ball, always be there, I feel like that’s my style of football,” Ford said.

“(He’s got me) focusing on defence, keep knuckling down and making sure there’s no breakaways on my edge and keep working with my halves, and put a bit more weight on.”

Ford will be up against Tyrell Fuimaono for a starting position, while new recruit Jack Bird will bide his time as he is set to begin his return to the Dragons from the bench.

redv13

Bench
Going to stick my neck out here, but barring injury, I think our backline is set for round 1.

1. Dufty
2. JP
3. Ramsey
4. Lomax
5. Rava
6. Norman*
7. Hunt

* Clune if Norman suspended
Agreed. Only other change is Ramsey for JP and Feagai in, but I could live with that 1-7

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Going to stick my neck out here, but barring injury, I think our backline is set for round 1.

1. Dufty
2. JP
3. Ramsey
4. Lomax
5. Rava
6. Norman*
7. Hunt

* Clune if Norman suspended
I reckon so too but I reckon Ramsey will replace Rava. I have heard talk on here of Ramsey at left centre. It would really shock me to be honest, not necessarily in a bad way. This trial will give the Feagai boys and Wiliame a chance to press their claims.

possm

Coach
I reckon so too but I reckon Ramsey will replace Rava. I have heard talk on here of Ramsey at left centre. It would really shock me to be honest, not necessarily in a bad way. This trial will give the Feagai boys and Wiliame a chance to press their claims.
Some on here are real Dufty and JP fans and want to see them both included in the side no matter what. I say that the coaching staff have seen all the players perform in the off-season and will give them all some time during the trials to put their hands up for a top 17 spot.

I do place my trust in Griffin's judgement and so will go with whichever players he selects in the 17. I'm sure if players show the same deficiencies dsplayed in 2020, they will be droped without delay.

I personally rate Ramsey (fast, more robust and better under the high ball) over Dufty, Matt Feagai (very fast, sold and can find the line) over JP and Max Feagai (has it all and tipped to be the long term centre partner to Lomax) over Williame.

Let's sit back and see how it all turns out.

possm

Coach
1. Dufty

2. Ravalawa

3. Lomax

4. Feagai Max

5. Ramsey

6. Norman

7. Hunt

8. Vaughan

9. McCullough

10. Lawrie

11. Sims

12. Ford

13. McOuttis

14. Bird

15. Kerr

16. Faamausili

17. Alvaro
My predicted first grade and reserve grade side is:

Run-on 13
1. Ramsey
2. Matt Feagai
3. Lomax
4. Max Feagai
5. Ravalawa
6. Norman/Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. Kerr
9. McCullough
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Ford
13. McInness / De Belin

Bench
14. Bird - utility
15. Alvaro - prop
16. Faamausili - prop
17. Lawrie - prop / backrow

By the second half of the season our young backline would have gelled and be on fire. Not only giving a a chance of making the final, but standing our team in good stead for 2022.

Reserve Grade

1. Dufty
2. Pereira
3. Sauni-Esau
4. William
5. Sloan
6. Sullivan
7. Clune
8. Blacker
9. Brittain
10. Ellis
11. Fuimaono
12. Merin
13. H Lomax

Bench
14. Almone
15. ?
16. ?
17. ?

A very strong reserve grade that is capable of keeping the first grade players honest. Maybe 3 part time or trial to play forwards on the bench for reserve grade. Schiller to spend the first half of 2021 playing in our lower grades but maybe become a canditate for a backline position prior to the end of June.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
dsc_0413.jpg

INJURIES

Dragons injury update: Cameron McInnes
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 12 Feb 2021, 01:16 PM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra have provided the following injury update on Cameron McInnes, who has injured his anterior cruciate ligament.

McInnes suffered the injury during a training session on Friday morning.

The 27-year-old is yet to undergo follow up consultations to establish the next steps in his recovery and return to play timeframe.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/02/12/dragons-injury-update-cameron-mcinnes/