What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McCullough

kit66

Bench
Just stewing on this overnight, remembering how we let Robinson go and kept Cam which upset a lot of fans, not me particularly but I'd hate that decision to come back and bite us.
It says Bris are refusing to let McCullough go, hopefully it stays that way.
My guess on Cam is that he wants to play Hooker and we can't guarantee him that so he's looking at his options.
Maybe getting McCullough is just insurance - as a back up - to have an experienced hooker on call in case we lose Cam and Hunt fires at 7, I suppose that's the logic. I don't like it but he has played a lot with Hunt and also with Norman and Bird so there's that. Doesn't do Brittain any favours.

st shaneoh

Juniors
In my opinion if this story is true then it almost certainly points to the fact that the club has talked to Cam about next year and he has told them he will be leaving...

Not sure if he is one of these players who lives in Sydney and makes the daily commute to the Gong but as soon as i heard that the Tigers had made him their no 1 target for next year i thought that the chances of him leaving were relatively high with his connection to Madge..

They would be making a big money play for Cam and i doubt that we could match that and not have it cost us some of our promising young juniors or eat into our cap that Hook might think we need to spend in other areas next year especially with Hunt on the books till the end of 2022 with a player option that i am sure he will take up for 2023...

If Cam leaves then it would be very disappointing for us fans but it shouldn't be surprising when you take these things into account...
If he wants to leave go now
Didn’t he sign with us then backflip on the deal then Cook came to Souths and he contacted us begging? Loyalty to Mcmoron only not our club. Maybe mcmoron is going to the tigers.

hewi

Bench
If he does sign with the Tigers then let him go now, let’s not have the second year with a new coach interrupted by having a new Captain and one of the spine replaced. Decision needed ASAP in my opinion.

st.phil

Bench
No IV's or media w ole mate Captain Cam - writings on the wall, said it a while back. Hard to tell from the outside but his continued defence of Mary and reaction post a sacking that was 2-3 years late undermined the club. Good player but feel like he is believing his media / bubble

kit66

Bench
If he does sign with the Tigers then let him go now, let’s not have the second year with a new coach interrupted by having a new Captain and one of the spine replaced. Decision needed ASAP in my opinion.

If I was Hook I'd be trying my hardest to keep him at least to the end of his contract this year. Our forward pack is pretty ordinary atm and Cam is the standout, his line speed sets the standard and his 50+ quality tackles per game would be sorely missed, plus he's our Captain. At hooker or lock or 2nd row, we need him on the park this year, absolutely.

possm

Coach
Can we throw in Corey Norman as a sweetener?
Why, he will be gone at the end of the season. Better to throw in Ben Hunt, Brisbane need a top grade halfback.

I'd say Griffin and McInnis aren't getting on and that the Tigers have offered McInnes top dollar. Sjo better that we save the cap by hiring McCullock at half the price. McCullock is a good dummy half and can defend quite well but more importantly he understands Griffins way and gets on with him.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Mickeylane looks like you are right with Mcinnes heading to Tiger Town - if we do buy McCullough means Hunt is our official number 7 all year
Not really. If Hunt does not perform at 7 it is likely he will drop back to the bench or even to Caterbury Cup. There are now too many options for Saints to use in the halves.

Gareth67

First Grade
I did mention on another thread only yesterday that the Big Red V are in desperate need of a player whom can fire-up the rest of the forwards and lead the pack , so perhaps that is also another reason we are after McCulloughs services ?

He certainly has experience in that department , a no-nonsense sort of player , however a 3 year deal is way too long for mine . Still I believe that we are between a rock and a hard place at this point in time and if signed he could very well be the glue that cements our forwards together ?

Dragsters

First Grade
The only way any of this makes sense IMO is if Hook has decided to put a big cross through De Belin who is exiled from training.

If that was the case then we certainly would need another senior player to bolster our forwards.

This makes more sense than all of the wild McInnes leaving speculation and we most certainly need a top line back rower if true...

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I did mention on another thread only yesterday that the Big Red V are in desperate need of a player whom can fire-up the rest of the forwards and lead the pack , so perhaps that is also another reason we are after McCulloughs services ?

He certainly has experience in that department , a no-nonsense sort of player , however a 3 year deal is way too long for mine . Still I believe that we are between a rock and a hard place at this point in time and if signed he could very well be the glue that cements our forwards together ?

Interesting that this 'reported' offer of 3 years co-incides with the exact amount of time Hunt has lect at the Dragons. :thinking::thinking:

possm

Coach
The only way any of this makes sense IMO is if Hook has decided to put a big cross through De Belin who is exiled from training.

If that was the case then we certainly would need another senior player to bolster our forwards.
I'd say that this would not happen until a decision on his legal case has been made.

Gareth67

First Grade
One attribute that Griffin has which is similar to the great Wayne Bennett is that he is able to get the best out of players that are seemingly’ over the hill ‘ than perhaps other coaches .

I am not referring to junk-yard buys at David Jones prices as the illustrious maestro bought in his 7 looong years , but individuals that do have the necessary talent required in a particular position .

The Dragons have an evenly balanced side of experience and youth but no one whom is able to be the conduit between the two . Food for thought .

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
The contract must be very low if it is for 3 years, say 300k a year ? Still sounds to me that this could be the first cross for the new regime. Looks like a McWrecker/Millward production.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Ben Dobbin Channel 9 Brisbane just reported that we have offered a 3 yr deal to Andrew McCulloch immediately. Brisbane reportedly refusing to release him.
Sounds like BS to me, unless McInnes has advised the club he won’t be staying regardless of the Hunt situation.