What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th Test: Australia v India at Gabba Jan 15-19, 2021

Incorrect

Coach
Tugga was such an all time great he outmaneuvered Hohn's backstabbing shittery, which was awesome. 2003 he averaged f**king 80 in test cricket and they were shuffling him towards the door!

Never understood what Hohns had against him personally but clearly there was something. Even his dropping from the ODI side came across as arbitrary scapegoating, sure he hadn't had his best year but he wasn't performing badly. It was like he copped it for the fact the NZ worked out half our top order.
Think Tugga was probably a better leg break bowler than Hohns if he'd turned his mind to it.... Ate away at our esteemed Chairman of Selectors....

undertaker

Coach
Steve Waugh got treated the worst out of all those players, if he didn't get that famous 100 at the SCG he was gone and forgotten even though he got 70 odd the test before at the MCG. He had the ODI captaincy taken off him and then was pretty much asked when are you handing the reigns over to Ricky. Even though he'd done so much for aussie cricket the only Bloke who had done more was AB. Hohns tried his best to push him out which is amazing when he is now happy to pick absolute nobodies like Wade,Harris and Burns.

Boon.M Waugh and Healy all played a year of two too long.

Hohns i absolutely despise him, he is a fossil out of time.

I absolutely cannot understand why Tugga was witch-hunted during that 2002/03 Ashes series when he had only gone 6 innings without scoring a century (and scored 50s in the previous two tests at the WACA and MCG). Why the hell was Hohns so eager to shaft him?

It was also very poor form of Hohns to tell Tugga just hours before what should've been a night of celebration at the 2002 Allan Border Medal that he had been dropped from the ODI side. That ought to spoil the mood for the night! Tugga was purely scapegoated for the Aussies missing the 2001/02 ODI tri-series finals:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/waugh-i-was-close-to-being-dropped-20051022-ge13jj.html

It also amazes me how Hohns has lasted so long as a selector, and yeah, since Tugga retired, it's amazing to look at all the underperforming players during Hohns' second stint as selector that have been in the side

To put the 6 inning "form slump" in perspective,

*Mark Taylor went 24 test innings without scoring a century (only scored two 50s in that period) until his career-saving century at Edgbaston 1997

*Matthew Hayden went 30 innings without scoring a century (score five 50s in that period) until his career-saving century at The Oval in 2005. Haydos was very lucky that McGrath was fit to play in that test, as there had been a lot of talk in the media of the Aussies fielding 5 bowlers had McGrath been injured, which would've most certainly spelt the end of Haydos. Still think the Aussies missed a chance not playing MacGill, as the Poms struggled against Warne

*Mike Hussey went 28 innings without scoring a century (scored seven 50s in that period) until his career-saving century at The Oval in 2009.

*Ricky Ponting went 33 innings without scoring a century until his career-saving century at the SCG in 2012 (would've been 50 innings had he not been dropped on 0 before scoring a double-century in Hobart vs Pakistan)

hineyrulz

Post Whore
There was another travesty, Bev should have played near on 100 Tests. The excuses were laughable too. Deadset, 19k First Class runs at pretty much 60 across the strongest period in Aussie cricket history but he can't play the short ball?

Pull ya dicks!
I once watched a net session on a pretty green deck at the SCG where Cracker Holdsworth went after Bevo with a vicious spell where he tried to kill him. Bevo smeared him all over the place to Say he couldn't play the short ball is laughable. Sadly someone of his talent didn't even get 20 tests. Wade has 36 lol and Harris 10 LMFAO.

I was a massive Bevo fan.

Incorrect

Coach
There was another travesty, Bev should have played near on 100 Tests. The excuses were laughable too. Deadset, 19k First Class runs at pretty much 60 across the strongest period in Aussie cricket history but he can't play the short ball?

Pull ya dicks!
Kinda similar personalities Bevo and Tugga. Single minded, devoted and not part of the boys clubs... And above all, talented as f**k.

Incorrect

Coach
I once watched a net session on a pretty green deck at the SCG where Cracker Holdsworth went after Bevo with a vicious spell where he tried to kill him. Bevo smeared him all over the place to Say he couldn't play the short ball is laughable. Sadly someone of his talent didn't even get 20 tests. Wade has 36 lol and Harris 10 LMFAO.

Had to 'Like' that post purely for the reference to "Cracker" Holdsworth... Takes me back....

Bazal

Post Whore
Think Tugga was probably a better leg break bowler than Hohns if he'd turned his mind to it.... Ate away at our esteemed Chairman of Selectors....

Honestly I can't think of anything Tugga wouldn't be better at than our esteemed selector.

Except maybe failing. Not sure Tugga has that much experience with it.

undertaker

Coach

Before there was Brett Lee, there was Wayne "Cracker" Holdsworth. He was lightning quick and a shame his fame fizzled out after being picked for the 1993 Ashes tour.

Bevo had an excellent record in his debut test series vs Waqar/Wasim in Pakistan, and Ambrose/Walsh in Australia, not to mention his left-arm chinaman bowling was useful, took 10 wickets in Adelaide which won us the test series vs West Indies in 1997.

Unfortunately, two bad Ashes series (1994/95 and 1997) earned him the label of "not being able to handle the short-pitched bowling in test matches" and that stereotype became etched in the minds of the selectors and fans.

No matter how many thousands of runs Bevan went on to score in Shield and County Cricket (back when they were both elite first-class cricket competitions played on pitches that offered a lot more assistance for bowlers compared to today), I remember the rumour went around during the late '90s that the selectors weren't going to let Bevan have another go in the test match arena.

Such a shame, as Bevo was one of several Shield players during the '90s that would've played 100+ tests and scored thousands of test runs if he had been born at least a decade later.

Bazal

Post Whore

I loved Bevo. I still rate him the best ODI bat ever, adjustments made for the style of the game obviously. He was a genius in a chase

You just have to look at the caliber of bowlers that didn't play test cricket during the 90s and early 2000s, or the guys who were coming through prior to playing Test cricket. As if they all put the short ball away for Bevo to score the most runs in Shield history lol

And maybe the Poms couldn't put up a quality Test attack towards the end of that period, but their County decks and the blokes who bowled on them were not rubbish in those conditions either

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Before there was Brett Lee, there was Wayne "Cracker" Holdsworth. He was lightning quick and a shame his fame fizzled out after being picked for the 1993 Ashes tour.

Bevo had an excellent record in his debut test series vs Waqar/Wasim in Pakistan, and Ambrose/Walsh in Australia, not to mention his left-arm chinaman bowling was useful, took 10 wickets in Adelaide which won us the test series vs West Indies in 1997.

Unfortunately, two bad Ashes series (1994/95 and 1997) earned him the label of "not being able to handle the short-pitched bowling in test matches" and that stereotype became etched in the minds of the selectors and fans.

No matter how many thousands of runs Bevan went on to score in Shield and County Cricket (back when they were both elite first-class cricket competitions played on pitches that offered a lot more assistance for bowlers compared to today), I remember the rumour went around during the late '90s that the selectors weren't going to let Bevan have another go in the test match arena.

Such a shame, as Bevo was one of several Shield players during the '90s that would've played 100+ tests and scored thousands of test runs if he had been born at least a decade later.
The corn in Bevo's shit was more talented than an absolute plank like ,Matty Wade. Back in the 90's Wade wouldn't of made a shield team let alone play 36 tests for Aus. When people try to tell me cricket is better now i just LOLZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I loved Bevo. I still rate him the best ODI bat ever, adjustments made for the style of the game obviously. He was a genius in a chase

You just have to look at the caliber of bowlers that didn't play test cricket during the 90s and early 2000s, or the guys who were coming through prior to playing Test cricket. As if they all put the short ball away for Bevo to score the most runs in Shield history lol

And maybe the Poms couldn't put up a quality Test attack towards the end of that period, but their County decks and the blokes who bowled on them were not rubbish in those conditions either
Spot on, Bevo averaged over 60 in the shield at a time when there was world class bowlers all over the place. Imagine what he would of been able to do at Glenelg against the might of the current SA attack??? LOLzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!

Even a plodder like Jimmy Maher probably plays 50 tests.

Bazal

Post Whore
The corn in Bevo's shit was more talented than an absolute plank like ,Matty Wade. Back in the 90's Wade wouldn't of made a shield team let alone play 36 tests for Aus. When people try to tell me cricket is better know i just LOLZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

In all fairness, I do think CRICKET is better now in a way. But not in terms of quality locally. The Aussie scene in the 90s/00s was ludicrously good, you could pick up any Shield side from the late nineties at full strength and beat lots of Test teams today with it. Probably even the Aussie test side unless you grabbed Tassie lol.

But I do think that other countries have improved a hell of a lot, so the game globally is better and more competitive.

Latest posts