What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TWO new Brisbane teams

The most likely scenario, is only one extra team in SE Qld. Which must play their home games out of Suncorp Stadium i.e. the Firehawks. What needs to be addressed though, is a football specific boutique stadium for the Brisbane Roar A league team. Suncorp should be a League and Union specific stadium with 3 main tenants.

The most likely scenario, is only one extra team in SE Qld. Which must play their home games out of Suncorp Stadium i.e. the Firehawks. What needs to be addressed though, is a football specific boutique stadium for the Brisbane Roar A league team. Suncorp should be a League and Union specific stadium with 3 main tenants.
Roar are now playing at Dolphin Stadium.

flippikat

Bench
The Broncos are shite enough as it is. Imagine if they were the third best team in Brisbane and the 5th best team in Queensland. Kevvy and his mates would spew their guts. No way will the Broncos allow another team in Brisbane to show them up.

It is the ideal time for a 2nd Brisbane team when the Broncos stocks are so low. A few early wins against their "big brother" club will no doubt attract the casual fans nice and early.

It is the ideal time for a 2nd Brisbane team when the Broncos stocks are so low. A few early wins against their "big brother" club will no doubt attract the casual fans nice and early.
Success early on, or at least more than what the Broncos are having, will help draw kids to the new team.

I like the name Firehawks and their colour kit is first class. I'd like to see them work with the Brisbane Roar to help gain support from kids on the southside of town who play soccer. The Brisbane Lions/Roar soccer club are from Richlands, and use the orange colour because of their Dutch origin. Over time the clubs could put together a proposition to the Queensland Government to build a 35k-50k stadium on the southside.

MugaB

Coach
Success early on, or at least more than what the Broncos are having, will help draw kids to the new team.

I like the name Firehawks and their colour kit is first class. I'd like to see them work with the Brisbane Roar to help gain support from kids on the southside of town who play soccer. The Brisbane Lions/Roar soccer club are from Richlands, and use the orange colour because of their Dutch origin. Over time the clubs could put together a proposition to the Queensland Government to build a 35k-50k stadium on the southside.
Yeah.... thats not happening... the whole point VDog is pushing and expansion side is to have Suncorp getting used every week.
Not push the Government to build another stadium 20 mins south of it.
Besides go 45 min south and you hit CBUS

Yeah.... thats not happening... the whole point VDog is pushing and expansion side is to have Suncorp getting used every week.
Not push the Government to build another stadium 20 mins south of it.
Besides go 45 min south and you hit CBUS
It's difficult getting to Lang Park from the southern side of town. The bus goes all the way through the CBD these days, which adds another 20 or so minutes to the ride. In the past it would turn left at the end of the busway near the Multicultural Centre and be at Lang Park within 5 minutes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's difficult getting to Lang Park from the southern side of town. The bus goes all the way through the CBD these days, which adds another 20 or so minutes to the ride. In the past it would turn left at the end of the busway near the Multicultural Centre and be at Lang Park within 5 minutes.

I guess in any big city once you go over 25kms out it’s going to take some effort. Springwood to Suncorp is a 30min train ride to south bank and a 10min walk, train fare included in ticket. If fans want to be there they’ll get there. I live about 30kms from the perth stadiums and takes me around 40-50mins but it’s no problem, especially if it’s a weekend. Lazy fans just use travel as an excuse imo.

the big problem for a Brisbane 2 club will be if Ch9 insist on sticking them on a Thursday night every game. It would kill their hopes of crowds and possibly sustainability.

Diesel

Referee
Isn’t Cross City Rail putting a Gabba station in on the new line?
Yep. New station at the Gabba & Albert St.
Council’s Brisbane Metro may bring in a few from Eight Mile Plains and surrounding areas which goes through Roma St Station IIRC

I guess in any big city once you go over 25kms out it’s going to take some effort. Springwood to Suncorp is a 30min train ride to south bank and a 10min walk, train fare included in ticket. If fans want to be there they’ll get there. I live about 30kms from the perth stadiums and takes me around 40-50mins but it’s no problem, especially if it’s a weekend. Lazy fans just use travel as an excuse imo.

the big problem for a Brisbane 2 club will be if Ch9 insist on sticking them on a Thursday night every game. It would kill their hopes of crowds and possibly sustainability.
Springwood has a bus station that will be connected to the South-east busway by 2026, but it doesn't offer free travel to Broncos games. Local councils run buses in Queensland and only the Brisbane City Council provide a free bus service to Lang Park. I have to drive to Eight Miles Plains Bus Station to get a bus, which has few if any parks available on a Thursday / Friday night.

The nearest train station to me is located at Kuraby and is on the Beenleigh Line. The Milton station runs on the Main Line, so I would need to go to Roma Street and then get on another train.

The bus travel from Eight Miles Plains always leaves me with a stiff neck and a severe headache. Queuing up for the bus ride back to Eight Mile Plains is a bastard. The queue starts all the way back at the entrance of the stadium and continues until the staircase leading to the bus terminal. After finally getting from the entrance to the bus terminal, which can take 30 minutes, I have to wait in line for another 20 or 30 minutes to get on a bus. Most of the people on the bus get off at Greenslopes, Holland Park and Garden City, which makes the travel even longer.

I've arrived at Eight Mile Plains bus station 2 hours before kickoff and didn't get into the stadium until 20 minutes after kick off.

https://translink.com.au/plan-your-journey/event-transport/suncorp-shuttle-buses

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
The nearest train station to me is located at Kuraby and is on the Beenleigh Line. The Milton station runs on the Main Line, so I would need to go to Roma Street and then get on another train.

most people just get off at Roma St for Suncorp... you would be silly to get another train for 1 stop to Milton.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why wouldn’t you just take the 40min train ride from kuraby station to Roma street and walk the less than 1 mile to the stadium?

How long does it take to walk from Roma St to Lang Park?

according to the map it’s only 1.3km. So around 15 mins at a reasonable walking pace.
If it’s taking you 2hrs 20m to go 21km you def need to find a better alternative lol.

flippikat

Bench
Another victim of COVID

A shame, because a 2nd Brisbane club as 17th team is far easier logistically than Perth, Adelaide or NZ 2 in the current climate.

In another thread, I made the point that a 2nd Brisbane team starting in 2023 is emenently do-able (even if we're still dealing with the tail-end of the pandemic), with a Perth team entering the NRL a year or two later - giving us 18 teams and that 9th game each weekend that boosts the broadcasting deal.

If we need a 9th game, we don't have to get there immediately - and a staggered approach (just for this phase of expansion) could weather the covid storm, and give the competition time to grow depth to fill 2 extra teams.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A shame, because a 2nd Brisbane club as 17th team is far easier logistically than Perth, Adelaide or NZ 2 in the current climate.

In another thread, I made the point that a 2nd Brisbane team starting in 2023 is emenently do-able (even if we're still dealing with the tail-end of the pandemic), with a Perth team entering the NRL a year or two later - giving us 18 teams and that 9th game each weekend that boosts the broadcasting deal.

If we need a 9th game, we don't have to get there immediately - and a staggered approach (just for this phase of expansion) could weather the covid storm, and give the competition time to grow depth to fill 2 extra teams.

where are you going to take the $13million plus a year from to pay for this new club? Especially given anywhere between 12-25% reduced revenue from tv for the next 2 years? Only hope I can see to cover cost is selling an extra game to fta now the ptv deal is done until 2028.

Latest posts