What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poasa Faamausili to play Lock

George Dragon

Juniors
Don’t right off Trent Merrin, we don’t need a full season from him just 6-8wks until either Bird or JdB can take over.

Let’s just pretend for a moment that JdB does return that’ll free up Bird to move to 6 & we can finally say farewell to Norman :wave:

Merrin won't play FG
JDB won't play 13, if he returns after 2 and a half years off he will be in the prop rotation.
Bird won't play 6.
There may be a surprise contender for edge backrower.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Sorry too late. I wrote off Merrin back when they finally realised he was passed origin and Hook punted him to the bench at Penrith before he left at the end of that year.
Need to be positive mate, the cupboard is bare at Lock. Like I said we just need a good 6-8wks from Merrin until either Bird is fully fit or JdB comes back.

If Merrin is off the list then there’s only props & maybe Fuimaono. Of the props Faamausili is the most mobile

Dragonslayer

First Grade
De Belin was the modern day prototype for a lock. Agile, fast, rangy and jard hitting in defense. The Radleys and Murrays (and a few others) have morphed that even further.

Who do we have that fits this type of role both body wise and physical wise?

Merrin....no
Bird......fit it would be a yes
McInnes....on the small side of the prototype
Fuimaono....has it but is it in his heart
Kerr.....well the Storm have tried NAS there with some success
Poasa.....no his shape is not in the prototype range
JDB......well yes but hasnt played for near on 2 and a half years.

Anyone else?

Maddragon99

Juniors
De Belin was the modern day prototype for a lock. Agile, fast, rangy and jard hitting in defense. The Radleys and Murrays (and a few others) have morphed that even further.

Who do we have that fits this type of role both body wise and physical wise?

Merrin....no
Bird......fit it would be a yes
McInnes....on the small side of the prototype
Fuimaono....has it but is it in his heart
Kerr.....well the Storm have tried NAS there with some success
Poasa.....no his shape is not in the prototype range
JDB......well yes but hasnt played for near on 2 and a half years.

Anyone else?
Well the cupboard is bare. With no CC last year there’s no one emerging either.

There's still talk about Magoulias but nothing official. Looks like we’ll have to run with what we’ve got.

BLM01

First Grade
Need to be positive mate, the cupboard is bare at Lock. Like I said we just need a good 6-8wks from Merrin until either Bird is fully fit or JdB comes back.

If Merrin is off the list then there’s only props & maybe Fuimaono. Of the props Faamausili is the most mobile

To the contrary I am very positive about our potential for a bright future....now.
Unlike many denials i can see as the one true thing that Gus said that "our culture is zip"
To just buy the best available to fill positions now for immediate results or a quick fix wont suit us and will amount to little until we get our existing mob's heads around internal culture and what it takes to win and we dont have one of the super coaches.
We cant afford to throw all the players away and start over as they may adapt to the change coming.

It is OK for teams like Melb, Roosters, Canberra and now Penrith who have developed strong internal team cultures and can attract and purchase seemingly at will to put the icing on the cake (sometimes it is also cheapies like BMOZ who had the right culture inbred in him anyway and Roosters recognised that).

Dragons each year have tried some spending sprees with some so called big $$$ names (Hunt, Widdop, benj & now Norman) which did improve some of our results by 17/18 but a mixture of other poor / wrong choices, (Merrin is one of many), desperation and the masking of no accountability for inept coaching and lack of culture led our squad to be fried mentally and that was no more evident than what we witnessed in 2019/2020.
So in comes big changes needed. Whats next!

Hook and the coaching staff have the mammoth task of firstly getting our culture within on track which I believe they can because they are not the best but they have the right attitude, smarts and feel.for it.
But it will take time and 2 years is not enough to climb from ground to at least Level 8-9 in a 10 level building. .Look how long Penrith took to build up, Canberra too. Many years under Ricky
If Hook stays he will need nearly 4-5 years to get us around being close to a consistent Top 4 side

That starts by building and nurturing our best young ones.
We have a fair few in our junior large breeding grounds.
Pay to keep them but not all and choose wisely
Build around them by acquiring or keeping astute selective experience (sometimes cheap) and then 1 or 2 outside big signings to compliment at the right time as we climb back but, all must adopt the right attitude so we put that icing on the cake and reach Level 10.
It is possible and I hope and believe we can.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
We also have Cam Murray, Nathan Brown, Brandon Smith, Young? for canberra
Others?
I too believe the days of Graham, Jake Trob, Blair and the current big 13's are slowly turning around back to the more agile lock style middle player.
They are too slow and pedestrian when it comes to speed and ball distribution and telegraphed their backline movements too easily.
Although JT from the Cowboys is pretty agile but utilised more like prop bowling ball anyway and he could easily play 8, 10 or should be 11 or 12.
Dont see much ball distribution and backline movements from him.
Yeah undoubtedly, but the last good one we had was probably Brad Mackay. JDB is more the bigger body but still quite skilful he’s a big loss. I’m glad it’s turning around now. I still think either Merrin or Lawrie could take some of the 80 minutes as an extra prop but would love Bird to come on and wreak havoc in the middle later in the game.

BLM01

First Grade
Yeah undoubtedly, but the last good one we had was probably Brad Mackay. JDB is more the bigger body but still quite skilful he’s a big loss. I’m glad it’s turning around now. I still think either Merrin or Lawrie could take some of the 80 minutes as an extra prop but would love Bird to come on and wreak havoc in the middle later in the game.
Lawrie Yes. Forget about Merrin. He is best suited now for "Australia's Got Talent" dancing on stage.

Maddragon99

Juniors
To the contrary I am very positive about our potential for a bright future....now.
Unlike many denials i can see as the one true thing that Gus said that "our culture is zip"
To just buy the best available to fill positions now for immediate results or a quick fix wont suit us and will amount to little until we get our existing mob's heads around internal culture and what it takes to win and we dont have one of the super coaches.
We cant afford to throw all the players away and start over as they may adapt to the change coming.

It is OK for teams like Melb, Roosters, Canberra and now Penrith who have developed strong internal team cultures and can attract and purchase seemingly at will to put the icing on the cake (sometimes it is also cheapies like BMOZ who had the right culture inbred in him anyway and Roosters recognised that).

Dragons each year have tried some spending sprees with some so called big $$$ names (Hunt, Widdop, benj & now Norman) which did improve some of our results by 17/18 but a mixture of other poor / wrong choices, (Merrin is one of many), desperation and the masking of no accountability for inept coaching and lack of culture led our squad to be fried mentally and that was no more evident than what we witnessed in 2019/2020.
So in comes big changes needed. Whats next!

Hook and the coaching staff have the mammoth task of firstly getting our culture within on track which I believe they can because they are not the best but they have the right attitude, smarts and feel.for it.
But it will take time and 2 years is not enough to climb from ground to at least Level 8-9 in a 10 level building. .Look how long Penrith took to build up, Canberra too. Many years under Ricky
If Hook stays he will need nearly 4-5 years to get us around being close to a consistent Top 4 side

That starts by building and nurturing our best young ones.
We have a fair few in our junior large breeding grounds.
Pay to keep them but not all and choose wisely
Build around them by acquiring or keeping astute selective experience (sometimes cheap) and then 1 or 2 outside big signings to compliment at the right time as we climb back but, all must adopt the right attitude so we put that icing on the cake and reach Level 10.
It is possible and I hope and believe we can.
Wasn’t saying you were negative mate I was only referring to the Lock position & our cupboard being so bare. Unless Magoulias gets magically parachuted in soon, whoever starts at 13 won’t be a natural Lock.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Merrin won't play FG
JDB won't play 13, if he returns after 2 and a half years off he will be in the prop rotation.
Bird won't play 6.

This surprise contender is it an existing member of the (current) 26 signed players?

Maddragon99

Juniors
Timmons went very well at Lock, coming from the St George side of the marriage I still thought Timmo was one of our best players in the early days of the JV excellent centre but Lock was his best position. Won an origin game at 5/8 super player Another one is Wayne Bartrim, was it ‘96 when he scored that solo try against Canberra in the major semi? Another super player at Lock.

Best yes MacKay was great, you don’t play 17 origins by mistake particularly when playing second fiddle to Clyde. Never forgave him for chasing short term coin at Perth though. Tainted his legacy. At least in my opinion. Didn’t Brad win the Clive Churchill medal in ‘93? Not often a player from the losing team wins such a elite award.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Best yes MacKay was great, you don’t play 17 origins by mistake particularly when playing second fiddle to Clyde. Never forgave him for chasing short term coin at Perth though. Tainted his legacy. At least in my opinion. Didn’t Brad win the Clive Churchill medal in ‘96? Not often a player from the losing team wins such a elite award.
Mackay is the ultimate JV representative. Only bloke to play for St George, Illawarra and St George Illawarra.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’m not sure I’ll be ready fitness wise by season start unfortunately..

These COVID kilos just aren’t coming off as quickly as I thought they would. Should be good by ANZAC day though.

Old Timer

Coach
Merrin won't play FG
Bird won't play 6.
My guess is Corey Norman.

A lot of edge back rowers are lazy types and just turn on and turn off during the game and inject themselves at critical moments in attack and saving energy where / whenever possible.

Norman can certainly turn off and save his energy and if Hook can get him to turn on at the right moments he could easily be our Bryce Cartwright or T Rex type player.

redVinme

Juniors
My guess is Corey Norman.

A lot of edge back rowers are lazy types and just turn on and turn off during the game and inject themselves at critical moments in attack and saving energy where / whenever possible.

Norman can certainly turn off and save his energy and if Hook can get him to turn on at the right moments he could easily be our Bryce Cartwright or T Rex type player.

No way OT.

You would be then effectively having two halves defending next to each other. Teams would lick their lips.

I'm going Kerr too.

May have poor lateral movement now but was a back so if he trimmed right down he could be a weapon.

SnowDragon

Juniors
This surprise contender is it an existing member of the (current) 26 signed players?

A surprise? I assume this means a back...

Williame?
I know his defence is his shortcoming, but maybe with less lateral work needed and a pre-season? It's not like he is likely to make FG otherwise.

Latest posts