What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

hindy111

Post Whore
Hooker is a key position. I don't see much change until they find one

I feel Des will make shift someone.
The spine is class if and it's a big if Foran and Turbo stay fit.
They have a great young half in Schuster. Strike centers in Walker and Suli. Along with Turbos young brother who is a star and will find a spot.
Forwards just need to hold up. That 1-7 will beat most sides.....

hindy111

Post Whore
I reckon Panthers will be up there.
I'd have to start Capewell. That means Kilau or Martin into prop.
Also would consider Staines at fullback from day 1.

maple_69

Bench
Teams that don't evolve after a good year get left behind. We will quickly become the Cows of 2017 if we just things as they were
Absolutely agree. My point was more that low error dominant in the middle is something very difficult to overcome with plans. Teams will need to execute well and lift intensity to match us which many will do. I think we need to evolve and find ways to dismantle the well organised defences when we’re not running roughshod over them.

Original Name

Juniors
I can’t remember which position Dylan played in SG Ball. I thought he was always a fullback but I could be wrong.

A ball playing fullback he is not, just not his strengths. His other attributes thou make him a very solid option until something better comes along. Whether that is Staines time will tell. Our salary cap issues are going to be an on going issue so Dylan will have to deliver otherwise he will surely get the Mansour treatment. Tough love, but that’s probably the reality going forward.
He couldn't make the side as a 5/8 and reinvented himself as a fullback using fitness and eagerness to support and be in position more than other fullbacks.

The real problem with Edwards is he's a support style fullback and not only team barely offloads but our attacking structure sticks him on the right side of the field so he's rarely free to push up the middle/left and best guy at creating try scoring type offloads (Kikau) is on the left. The current way we play doesn't doesn't suit Edwards at all. Edwards is a type of player who'd be best be at sides like Eels, Raiders, Warriors.

Ironically our current style of football would be best with an instinctive ball playing fb like Moylan. I don't just mean passing a ball there are intricacies to great ball playing, most of them instinctive. Sure everyone can pass an inside ball but can everyone set it up like Cliff Lyons? But Edwards has other attributes that arguably make him worth it, at least compared to other current options.

Last edited:

Abacus

Juniors
He couldn't make the side as a 5/8 and reinvented himself as a fullback using fitness and eagerness to support and be in position more than other fullbacks.

The real problem with Edwards is he's a support style fullback and not only team barely offloads but our attacking structure sticks him on the right side of the field so he's rarely free to push up the middle/left and best guy at creating try scoring type offloads (Kikau) is on the left. The current way we play doesn't doesn't suit Edwards at all. Edwards is a type of player who'd be best be at sides like Eels, Raiders, Warriors.

Ironically our current style of football would be best with an instinctive ball playing fb like Moylan. I don't just mean passing a ball there are intricacies to great ball playing, most of them instinctive. Sure everyone can pass an inside ball but can everyone set it up like Cliff Lyons? But Edwards has other attributes that arguably make him worth it, at least compared to other current options.
Good analysis. Edwards limitations in ball playing is the main reason I was disappointed to see Laurie go. He seems a more instinctive ball player & runner.

Having said that, there is no guarantee that Laurie is a better all-round fullback than Edwards so hopefully we've backed the right horses in Edwards & Staines.

franklin2323

Immortal
Good analysis. Edwards limitations in ball playing is the main reason I was disappointed to see Laurie go. He seems a more instinctive ball player & runner.

Having said that, there is no guarantee that Laurie is a better all-round fullback than Edwards so hopefully we've backed the right horses in Edwards & Staines.

That is all part of how we can evolve as a team. More inside balls to Edwards if used right the attack will follow

Kilkenny

Coach
Given it is only 8 weeks or so until our Round1 game against the Cowboys, it surely must be a priority to get our roster sorted sooner rather than later, particularly, given there are still so many positions to be filled. Perhaps the squad fillers are already training with us, given they may be from within our own ranks, but if there players to be brought in from outside we need them training with us.

franklin2323

Immortal
Given it is only 8 weeks or so until our Round1 game against the Cowboys, it surely must be a priority to get our roster sorted sooner rather than later, particularly, given there are still so many positions to be filled. Perhaps the squad fillers are already training with us, given they may be from within our own ranks, but if there players to be brought in from outside we need them training with us.

We are only after depth guys. So no one urgent coming

Kilkenny

Coach
We are only after depth guys. So no one urgent coming

Sure, but even if they are guys unlikely to play NRL for us, I just think it needs to be sorted, get them training, get there fitness levels up to standard, integrating with the group all the usual cliches.

Losing Tamou, Tetevano, Hethrington even Ellis ( who was only a back up ) our front row stocks look really light on.

It appears likely we will be bringing in Ava Seumanufagai, if the rumours are correct but he has been out of the NRL for a couple of seasons now and only made a handful of appearances for the Sharks before leaving for the ESL so I’m not sure what he is going to provide us.

It has been suggested we can solve this issue by playing either Martin or Kikau in the middle I’m not convinced whether these are good options but if the object is to put our best 17 on the field then may well have too.

franklin2323

Immortal
Sure, but even if they are guys unlikely to play NRL for us, I just think it needs to be sorted, get them training, get there fitness levels up to standard, integrating with the group all the usual cliches.

Losing Tamou, Tetevano, Hethrington even Ellis ( who was only a back up ) our front row stocks look really light on.

It appears likely we will be bringing in Ava Seumanufagai, if the rumours are correct but he has been out of the NRL for a couple of seasons now and only made a handful of appearances for the Sharks before leaving for the ESL so I’m not sure what he is going to provide us.

It has been suggested we can solve this issue by playing either Martin or Kikau in the middle I’m not convinced whether these are good options but if the object is to put our best 17 on the field then may well have too.

Eisenhuth
JFH
Leinu
Leota

Should start front row.

After that it is possible depends if Burns/Sorensen are next

I am sure Ava is training. A couple of trials will be right to go

Kilkenny

Coach
I quite like Eisenhuth as a player, a real goer, although i would be concerned if he is an automatic choice in our top 17. He just seems to be another too good for NsW Cup maybe not quite top level NRL type player. All four you mention all under a 110 kilos not sure whether that is a good or bad thing. Maybe we lack one really big mobile unit around the 115-120 kilos that some of our main rivals seem to possess.

betcats

Referee
I quite like Eisenhuth as a player, a real goer, although i would be concerned if he is an automatic choice in our top 17. He just seems to be another too good for NsW Cup maybe not quite top level NRL type player. All four you mention all under a 110 kilos not sure whether that is a good or bad thing. Maybe we lack one really big mobile unit around the 115-120 kilos that some of our main rivals seem to possess.

Eisenhuth is 197cm and not skinny, there’s no way he is under 110.

franklin2323

Immortal

I have said before. With the speeding up of the game we will see less straight out big guys

Guys like Murray, Radley and co playing middle will be more common

betcats

Referee
Also in regards to guys like Ava and eisenhuth, Frank Winterstein was a similar signing and we got pretty good use out of him in a shit year for the team as a whole. I’ve got a lot of confidence journeymen type forwards can step into this very good pack and play better than they have in previous teams, Cleary does well with these types.