What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would everyone consider a disappointing result this season?

possm

Coach
I believe that what one problem shall be is the lack of a player who can truly inspire his teammates on to greater heights .

This could prove to be a major stumbling block as to the team’s overall confidence when on the wrong end of the scoreboard . Becoming progressively worse with each loss to the point where we have players running onto the field with a defeatist attitude .

I do hope that Griffin has seen this and appoints a couple of players to that particular role.
I believe that if fit, Bird would love to be the player to inspire his team. I would not be surprised if Griffin appoints a co-captain this season.

Dragons2020

Juniors
I’m a simple man. For me the benchmark is to play finals, anything less should be seen as a disappointment. Never like hearing excuses, like the JDB saga or rebuilding phase or any other shit. You either get a satisfactory result or you don’t. If you don’t then find solutions ie recruitment and retention so it doesn’t continue to happen. The end.
Yeah mate that’s how it happens for most of us in the real world

Dragons2020

Juniors
I reckon the coaching staff assembled gives me a lot of confidence that 2022 will be a year I can again get to sit back every or most weekends and enjoy my Dragons games. I think 2021 will be a mixed bag of mostly loses but starting to show promise

Maddragon99

Juniors
I believe a lot hinges on Bird and De Belin. Mind you even if JDB gets off, he will miss 8 rounds min, but he and Bird returning to top form, really boosts our forwards.

Having said that, the year could be a disaster if neither play a significant role, as without them our pack is one of the weakest in the comp as it stands today.
I have it on very good authority from a family friend that Jack Bird is loving life back at the Dragons. He’ll always be proud of being part of Cronulla’s maiden premiership team but he was also equally happy to leave for the Broncos with the hope of another premiership under Bennett. Obviously that didn’t pan out and even besides his injuries he hated his time in Brisbane.

He’s stoked for a fresh start at his junior club. He’s been doing everything that’s been asked of him rehabing his knee & is training well. With the youth of the club he definitely sees the potential of another premiership & even at this early stage he’d like to extend in ‘23 to be a part of it.

At this stage it’s not anticipated he’ll play any trails, it’s not worth the risk but he is on track for round one off the bench.

Depending on his fitness Hook wants him to play Lock, apparently no decision yet on who’ll be the starting 13, Fuimaono,, Merrin, Lawrie & Faamausili all in the mix.

Interesting piece of gossip apparently Norman isn’t exactly training the house down and Jack is eyeing the 6 jersey... nothing official just Jack’s opinion.

In a honesty session Jack wants to play every club game and return to Origin.

possm

Coach
I don’t care about signing him as a backup or bench player but losing McInnes would be super disappointing. Let’s hope Brisbane don’t release him and we start better than expected and he decides to re-sign.
I'm willing to say that McInnes is on his way already and most probably for season 2021. So if we don't sign McCulloch then it maybe we pick up another first grade ex Storm Hooker.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Signing AM would be pretty disappointing
As far as I’m aware there’s nothing to this McCulloch rumour. Perhaps something to force McInnes’s hand? But obviously it would only make sense if McInnes had already advised the club he’s leaving. Maybe he hasn’t clicked with Hook? I’ll try to find out. If McInnes is going Brandon Smith would surely be a much better signing?

I suppose on the positive McCulloch’s not a bad player assuming he comes back from injury, didn’t he bust his ACL last year when on loan to Newcastle? Probably half the cost of McInnes & would share dummy half with Hunt. Am I right that McCulloch played Origin few years back? If McCulloch is still rehabing there’d be no chance of a early release of McInnes.

if true this would leave Sullivan, Bird, Amone & Clune it fighting out for starting spots in the halves in ‘23

Maddragon99

Juniors
I don’t care about signing him as a backup or bench player but losing McInnes would be super disappointing. Let’s hope Brisbane don’t release him and we start better than expected and he decides to re-sign.
I’m very sure McCulloch is still rehabing his knee so there’d be no chance of a early release.

Belta

Juniors
Yeah mate that’s how it happens for most of us in the real world

:joy:

Well let’s just hope the new coaching staff live in the real world. Let’s hope the days of listening to a myriad of ridiculous excuses are long gone. Any semblance of intelligence and accountability would be a pleasant change.

kit66

Bench
I wonder how Gus Gould will treat us in commentary this year given he's a Dragons fan but not a big fan of Hook to put it mildly. If we don't perform well he'll probably use it as an excuse to take a few shots at Hook. Let's just hope he doesn't ride us all year because it could affect some player's confidence.

stryker

First Grade
I’m a simple man. For me the benchmark is to play finals, anything less should be seen as a disappointment. Never like hearing excuses, like the JDB saga or rebuilding phase or any other shit. You either get a satisfactory result or you don’t. If you don’t then find solutions ie recruitment and retention so it doesn’t continue to happen. The end.
Tigers fan here. 100% agree.
Can’t stand seeing supporters claim it’s a “rebuilding year”. f**k off it is.
Play finals footy or you have wasted everyone’s time. Maybe I will finally see that happen after a decade of sheer incompetence...finals is the benchmark.

possm

Coach
I wonder how Gus Gould will treat us in commentary this year given he's a Dragons fan but not a big fan of Hook to put it mildly. If we don't perform well he'll probably use it as an excuse to take a few shots at Hook. Let's just hope he doesn't ride us all year because it could affect some player's confidence.
Gus has lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned. Nothing he says will be taken seriously by me.

kit66

Bench
Gus has lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned. Nothing he says will be taken seriously by me.

yeah me neither, he's a knob but he's also a big presence on telly and anything he says will get back to the boys. That's what I'm worried about.

The best thing we could do is give Penrith a hiding like we did round 1 2017 ( ? ) that'd shut him up for a bit.:sunglasses:

BLM01

First Grade

I honestly think players would not give a flying....what Gus says in commentary about us or Hook.
We all now it is a bitchy session and something he can not get over.
Nor should we give a flying...
He will always be the same and the bias always as he has a conflict of interest anyway to be in commentary.
Penrith are great (because he set them up and he sacked Ivan to make him the better coach he is today) and now the Warriors and Nathan Bown will be emerging as a great youthful side under a very smart coach becuase he is involved with NZ pathways
I can hear him now!! :rolleyes:

Carrera28

Juniors
Upon reflection for me there are four characteristics we must avoid in order for 2021 not to be a failure. If we manage to avoid all four of these the team is hopefully clawing its way out of the abyss and demonstrating some backbone, grit, pride in jersey and subsequently a genuine hinger to develop a winning culture.

These are my metrics that must be avoided to show improvement and hopefully progress on the journey back to pride in the jersey and a long term winning culture:

1) Lose more games than you win. Fundamentally you need to start with a winning culture anything less than this is accepting losing.

2) Negative points differential. Even if we win as many games as we lose a negative differential means we are getting flogged by the great teams and only just beating the lesser teams. Again that is not a winning culture.

3) Not Beating the Sharks twice. Given both games are at Kogarah if the team doesn't feel motivated to show the Sharks who are the real Kings of Kogarah and feel they have something to prove with the Sharks playing their home games at our spiritual home, then we have a team that has no pride in jersey and we don't have a winning culture.

4) Getting flogged in ANZAC Day game. The Roosters have a strong squad on paper and beating them may be a bridge too far. But as a club we are lucky to get the ANZAC game and it gives us an extra big game as a club, most other clubs don't get. Players should be proud of running out in the Red V on ANZAC Day and they should be wanting to deliver on the big stage for all 80 minutes. Pride in the jersey and grit and determination should mean they make the Roosters earn their win and if the Roosters don't bring their best game the team should be ready to grind out a hard tight 80 minutes of football not just 60 minutes and then giving up half way through the second half.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
If any team puts more than 4 tries on us - that will not only be disappointing it will SH%T me no end up.
Even worse than if I'm at the game

BLM01

First Grade
If any team puts more than 4 tries on us - that will not only be disappointing it will SH%T me no end up.
Even worse than if I'm at the game
Your bordering on McPriorCoach expectations there :wink::grin::laughing:
You should be taking the Bellamy approach and be disappointed if 1 try is scored against us and then go on to say that person that was at fault hopefully will be dropped.

Latest posts