What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons: Dufty ponders career-defining contract call
Dragons Den
r0_62_5568_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

EYE ON THE BALL: Dragons fullback Matt Dufty's next contract could well be the most lucrative of his career. Picture: Dragons Media
HE'S off-contract in 2021 and Dragons fullback Matt Dufty admits it's "disappointing" the club is yet to reach out about what will likely be the most important deal of his career.

The 25-year-old has put together an extensive highlight reel in his four NRL seasons but has been in and out of first grade since debuting in 2017. He found previously elusive consistency in a standout 2020, grabbing 13 tries and 12 try-assists in 18 games.

It came after he overlooked for two of his side's opening four games, which saw him flirt with a lucrative offer from Super League club Huddersfield, while there was also a glimmer of interest in a mid-season switch to the Titans, before he decided to stay put.

He'll be in hot demand if he can maintain his rich vein of form this coming season, with his next contract likely to be the most lucrative of his career should he continue on his current trajectory.

The club has Zac Lomax, who's repeatedly stated his long-term preference is to play fullback, locked down on a lengthy deal, while rookie sensation Cody Ramsey is also waiting in the wings.

Dufty's preference is to stay in Wollongong - where he's been based since last season - but he's yet to open talks with the club about a possible extension.

"I haven't heard anything from the club. It's bit disappointing they haven't talked to me yet but it is still early days," Dufty said.

"Obviously I'd like to stay in the Gong. There was a stage there last year where I could've gone, I had permission to go. Huddersfield was probably the main [option] but I wanted to stay in the NRL.

"I still had a contract and wanted to prove myself to the Dragons. Hopefully that loyalty gets rewarded. I like to think I'm a humble person but I do need to think about my future as well.

"I think I'm a lot more mature than I was when I last re-signed a contract and last time I was off-contract Normy (Corey Norman) had just come to the club.

"I've given a lot to the Dragons since I was about 14 and I'd just like to think they want me. That's all I want to feel, money's not an issue. Like I said, it's early days so hopefully [I hear something] soon."

He may be yet to hear from the brass, but new coach Anthony Griffin has spoken extensively about the leadership role he wants him to play at the back.

Read more: Lomax not looking back on breakout season

Having played his career to date exclusively under former coach Paul McGregor, and his former under 20s coach Dean Young, Dufty said a new voice has been refreshing.

"Growing up playing, Benny Hornby, Dean Young and Mary [McGregor] all had me from when I was really young," he said.

"They didn't see me as that kid anymore, but not as mature as I would've liked. Hook coming in has given me a lot more responsibility because I'm 25 now and our squad's very young.

"It's weird how things go, last year I felt like I was one of the youngest in the squad with James Graham, Frizz (Tyson Frizell), Benny Hunt... coming in this year it's a totally different story.

"Hook's straight up and down, there's no beating around the bush, which is something I really like. He says the fullback's got to be the loudest, you've got to direct the boys around and you need to have that authority.

"That's what I try to bring to training. It's good, it's the next bit of development in my career, just trying to be more of a leader."

The discussions may have been extensive, but Dufty doesn't consider himself a lock in the No. 1 jumper, with Griffin making it clear past deeds won't count for anything while he's in charge. It's not a new scenario for Dufty, who began last season behind Lomax in the pecking order.

"Zac was first choice last year but the way it panned out, and what was best for the team, I got the shot again and grabbed it with both hands," Dufty said.

"I knew it was either now or never so that was the mentality I had going into every game, just trying to play consistent footy. Coming off my individual season last year I was pretty happy with how I performed consistently week in week out, obviously the next step is trying to get the club back in the top eight.

"Top four would be nice, but obviously the next step is trying to get the club back playing finals footy is the main goal for us this year. It feels like everyone's got a purpose to train hard because there's no guaranteed spots which is good because there's a bit of competition which is healthy for a club that wants to get better."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...onders-career-defining-contract-call/?cs=3713

Old Timer

Coach
Good interview from Dufty.
I like what I hear from him.
Wants to stay a Dragon. Money isn't an issue.
Wants to make the top 4. Competition for spots is a good thing.
Trying to be more of a leader.
I actually think Duffy should keep his head down and mouth shut.

He is not the sharpest tool in the shed and is sounding as if he believes he “deserves better” well simply put his consistency is patchy as are some of his skills.

Play the game the coach wants and deliver on your kpi’s and no doubt a deal will be put in the table well before you need to make a decision.

Dufty interviews for mine are as cringeworthy as David Warner’s who is also a low wattage bulb.

Dragsters

First Grade
Good interview from Dufty.
I like what I hear from him.
Wants to stay a Dragon. Money isn't an issue.
Wants to make the top 4. Competition for spots is a good thing.
Trying to be more of a leader.

Really looks like he's spent a fair bit of time in the gym and has added some kegs, particularly around the shoulders, which may help him defensively.

Just hope it doesn't affect his speed...

Crush

Coach

He is not the sharpest tool in the shed and is sounding as if he believes he “deserves better” well simply put his consistency is patchy as are some of his skills.

Play the game the coach wants and deliver on your kpi’s and no doubt a deal will be put in the table well before you need to make a decision.

Dufty interviews for mine are as cringeworthy as David Warner’s who is also a low wattage bulb.
Yeah but you don't like anyone OT.
Apart from maybe Ian Chappel.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm thinking that Dufty will be a much different and more decisive fullback this year. He is building up physically which is good to see and that will help him take the ball up harder and tackle stronger in defence.

We know he has shortcomings in past seasons as well as providing great highlights.

I'm looking forward to see how he plays. We will have a hard trial in the Charity Shield as usual and if we can jag a win in that annual event, it will give the guys heaps of confidence. It will be hard though.

He is a confidence player so the more he talks about himself to hang tickets on himself the more his confidence will be when he takes the field.

We need him in our attacking raids either for him to score or for him to set tries up once he makes a clean break. Elliott is needed to come up with and train us on several set plays to improve our attacking game.

Exciting times ahead fellas!

Old Timer

Coach
Yeah but you don't like anyone OT.
Apart from maybe Ian Chappel.
Didn’t say I didn’t like him I just made a suggestion as to how IMO he comes across.

There was no need for him to discuss whether the club had put an offer his way let alone say he was disappointed that they hadn’t.

It is not as if he isn’t under contract nor is it a given that he has all the requisite skills to hold down a 1st grade FB position but no doubt we will find out how big his ticker is and how far he progresses under a different regime.

If he is good enough Hook will want to keep him but that is yet to be proven and it is all up to Matt to do that.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

He was our leading try scorer, our top try assister & our X-factor.

If I recall correctly he either scored or set up 2 out of every 5 tries we scored last year.

Even with a potato for a coach, he was one of, if not our best, players of the year.

I think he’s not the one who needs to sit down and shut up..

dragon thomo

Juniors
Didn't take much to be our highest try scorer.
He needs to show consistancy in stopping tries and taking bombs.
As for Ian Chappel his input has been tremendous for the ABC.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Didn't take much to be our highest try scorer.
Regardless of how hard or how easy it was to top our try scoring rankings, the fact remains he did it.

So why do we think that our most potent attacking weapon is our weakness?

Is not the point of the game to score more points than the opposition?

epDragon62

First Grade
Regardless of how hard or how easy it was to top our try scoring rankings, the fact remains he did it.

So why do we think that our most potent attacking weapon is our weakness?

Is not the point of the game to score more points than the opposition?
Of course it is so Muz, organising our defence and defusing bombs are equally important fullback skills, amongst others.

BLM01

First Grade

So how does he answer the reporters question when they ask "are you disappointed that the club has not come forth with a contract yet?.Say nothing?..then the reporter will spin something else
Remember you did say the press were Fuc**d

BTW. Where did you pick up that he said "I deserve better?. Or is that spin of your own.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Of course it is so Muz, organising our defence and defusing bombs are equally important fullback skills, amongst others.
Again I feel like Dufty’s past is all that people remember..

He improved out of sight at diffusing bombs this year.. Where once we’d be holding our breath when a bomb went up, he was rock solid this year..

His error rate backs that up..

Interestingly more than half the tries scored against us were through our right edge defence.. We had the most of any team conceded down that side...

Old Timer

Coach
So how does he answer the reporters question when they ask "are you disappointed that the club has not come forth with a contract yet?.Say nothing?..then the reporter will spin something else
Remember you did say the press were Fuc**d

BTW. Where did you pick up that he said "I deserve better?. Or is that spin of your own.
  1. There have been big changes at the club and we are all getting used to the new coaching staff and they are getting used to the players new and old so not just me but many players are waiting to have their contracts reviewed and I will leave that up to my manager. Meanwhile I’ll keep training hard and listening to what the new coaching staff want and try my hardest to deliver on the things they need me to do. If I can do that then I’m sure then the contract will look after itself.
  2. Re your “BTW” I suggest you read read my post as I never said that. I said his “quoted statement” IMO “sounded like he believed” In my world if you are whinging (which is what he sounded like to me) about something then you are not happy and that can mean that you think you deserved something more/better/different/special

Old Timer

Coach
He was our leading try scorer, our top try assister & our X-factor.

If I recall correctly he either scored or set up 2 out of every 5 tries we scored last year.

Even with a potato for a coach, he was one of, if not our best, players of the year.

I think he’s not the one who needs to sit down and shut up..
You seem to be confused.

He is being whingy whiny about not having a new contract even though he has a year to go on his existing one and a new coaching regime has just taken up its position.

If he does what I suggested in my reply to BL MO1 then it will all happen in due course.

Sooky press releases will do nothing to help his cause.

If the the new staff want him to be mature and provide input to the leadership group
then IMO of what he said about the contract as quoted in the article isn’t getting off on the right foot.