What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

callmack1

Staff member
Mansour is also the kind of signing that indirectly benefits us long term as well. He has obviously signied for two years which is a short term thing but his signing allows players like Paulo and Marsters to develop further in reserve grade. Although these two were solid in 2020, I still feel like they weren't quite ready for the step up to first grade. But Mansour being here takes the pressure off them because although they will probably both play some games this year, for the majority of the Season they can learn and ply their trade in reserve grade, not to mention learning off an experienced, elite winger throughout that time. If they are both still at the club when Mansour retires they'll be more than ready and this can only help us in the long term!

Rejuvenated Inglis ready for Rugby League comeback: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/15/rejuvenated-inglis-ready-for-rugby-league-comeback/

All Stars clash in jeopardy as NRL players face early bubble due to COVID clusters: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/d25535a4774efb1b2e5478ccf85e92dd

Bombshell Maroons coaching plan revealed after Bennett hangs up the boots: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...s/news-story/0fa03ed9012327af18c01400ae63a46a

Mansour is also the kind of signing that indirectly benefits us long term as well. He has obviously signied for two years which is a short term thing but his signing allows players like Paulo and Marsters to develop further in reserve grade. Although these two were solid in 2020, I still feel like they weren't quite ready for the step up to first grade. But Mansour being here takes the pressure off them because although they will probably both play some games this year, for the majority of the Season they can learn and ply their trade in reserve grade, not to mention learning off an experienced, elite winger throughout that time. If they are both still at the club when Mansour retires they'll be more than ready and this can only help us in the long term!

That’s a very interesting and thoughtful take on his effect on the squad. Counter- intuitive in the sense that the two youngsters may see the addition of a first strike winger as an impediment to their own opportunities next season at least.

You can’t really recruit a player of his calibre and slot him in as a reserve. Your position would have to be that he’s got the job until he loses it.

He has gone from being pensioned off to being first strike winger. And being the senior in the project, he gets to keep his aura and standing in the game at first blush. There’s a certain dignity to it.

The young Charlie at Penrith will take a long time to get to Josh Mansour operational status. He’s 20 years old and has played 2 games. He’s as green as they come. The poor kid is in for the shock of his life if he thinks the easy tries will keep coming. He wasn’t exactly facing heavyweights last year. He has a limping 34% tackle efficiency rate. That’s a big big problem that he will need to work on if he’s to progress in the game.

In non-Souths news, there’s a couple of items of general interest out there today ( read on if curious):

We all found out just today that that young Panther Crichton is on the prowl sniffing out other club opportunities and apparently he’s going “full marquee” on price. Lol. You have to hand it to young blokes with big tickets on themselves.

Dane Laurie has heard of our massive Tiger build up and like Josh seeks an immediate release. Big Jim (our 2021 and 2022 captain- to be announced) has also called him over publically. The stoush is on in earnest. Nothing like a fight with the Panthers to keep lively and honest!

Unlike you guys, we don’t really have a fullback so our need is great (I’d seriously take Edwards at this point), but the days of us spending like drunken sailors are over!

One thing the Tigers and Souths share at the moment is some players accepting unders to participate.The vibe and atmosphere of the club, the people, fans etc, in my view, it can’t be discounted as a factor in decision making.Players may accept a little less cash if they are happy and perceive their greater interest is cared for.

I’m not the biggest Latrell fan ( obvious reasons) but he is accepting unders and that helps you out significantly, so an undeniable point on his favour.

Back to Souths:

The two young callmack rabbits will have to tough it out a bit and I’m sure Mansour wouldn’t mind if they are brought on easy, perhaps in easier or non critical games. I’m against using any marquee in pre season. Send the gear steward out if need be!

The point is that Josh is first in line, not second or third as he was expected to be at Penrith. Where Benny wants another grand final ring, that’s a good place to be.

Last edited:

He’s one of those freak players.

I remember that tackle where not only did he steal the ball back in a life threatening moment, but somehow knocked the ball carrier un-conscious (for a laugh). Nothing illegal either.

He’s one of the last players you want tackling you one-on-one because he sees your physical arrest as him indulging in some kind of work of art!

He always seems to have a few extra seconds to complicate life for an attacker.

Hes regarded as an attacking forward too. Lol.

Even moreso now with Arrow joining to relieve Cam of some of his defensive duties.

That’s right.

My recollection of Jai’s signing is that you targeted him specifically and there was no sign of hesitation in his procurement.

His game is largely self motivated and to shine so brightly when he hasn’t exactly had illustrious team mates week in week out or coached by the very best -is to his credit.

What Bennett does with him will be interesting to see unfold.

He’s gone from being a big fish in a small sea to a big fish in a big sea.

callmack1

Staff member
Adam Reynolds takes halfback for the Menulog Team of the Decade!: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...-halfback-for-the-menulog-team-of-the-decade/

No surprises there!

From Sporting News,

Latrell Mitchell’s manager Matt Rose hands back NRL accreditation in shock move

The manager of three of the NRL’s biggest names, including South Sydney superstar Latrell Mitchell, has sensationally allowed his accreditation to lapse.

As first reported by News Corp, Matt Rose, who doubles as rising superstar Tim Tszyu’s boxing promoter, has opted not to renew his NRL credentials as a player agent.

The stunning development is certain to pique the interest of rival managers and powerbrokers at all 16 NRL clubs.

Rose has emerged as a powerful figure in NRL circles after taking over the affairs of Mitchell, reigning Dally M medallist Jack Wighton and Rabbitohs five-eighth Cody Walker.

He brokered Mitchell’s shock switch from the Sydney Roosters to South Sydney ahead of the 2020 NRL season.

Rose, the brother of former NRL prop George, oversaw Walker’s contract extension with the Rabbitohs at the end of 2019.

He also negotiated Wighton’s four-year contract extension with the Canberra Raiders last February.

Rose, who will no longer permitted to negotiate with NRL clubs, told News Corp he will continue to act as an ‘adviser’ to his high-profile clients.

He added his colleague Warwick Wright will ‘deal with NRL clubs going forward’.

Mitchell’s two-year deal with the Rabbitohs expires at the end of 2021.

However, the superstar full-back is expected to resign a long-term deal to remain at Redfern in the coming weeks.

Walker is under contract until the end of 2022, meaning he is permitted to negotiate with rival clubs on November 1.

Adam Reynolds takes halfback for the Menulog Team of the Decade!: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...-halfback-for-the-menulog-team-of-the-decade/

No surprises there!

From Sporting News,

Latrell Mitchell’s manager Matt Rose hands back NRL accreditation in shock move

The manager of three of the NRL’s biggest names, including South Sydney superstar Latrell Mitchell, has sensationally allowed his accreditation to lapse.

As first reported by News Corp, Matt Rose, who doubles as rising superstar Tim Tszyu’s boxing promoter, has opted not to renew his NRL credentials as a player agent.

The stunning development is certain to pique the interest of rival managers and powerbrokers at all 16 NRL clubs.

Rose has emerged as a powerful figure in NRL circles after taking over the affairs of Mitchell, reigning Dally M medallist Jack Wighton and Rabbitohs five-eighth Cody Walker.

He brokered Mitchell’s shock switch from the Sydney Roosters to South Sydney ahead of the 2020 NRL season.

Rose, the brother of former NRL prop George, oversaw Walker’s contract extension with the Rabbitohs at the end of 2019.

He also negotiated Wighton’s four-year contract extension with the Canberra Raiders last February.

Rose, who will no longer permitted to negotiate with NRL clubs, told News Corp he will continue to act as an ‘adviser’ to his high-profile clients.

He added his colleague Warwick Wright will ‘deal with NRL clubs going forward’.

Mitchell’s two-year deal with the Rabbitohs expires at the end of 2021.

However, the superstar full-back is expected to resign a long-term deal to remain at Redfern in the coming weeks.

Walker is under contract until the end of 2022, meaning he is permitted to negotiate with rival clubs on November 1.

I think everybody was surprised at the seriousness, extent and duration of his last injury. Own goal if I recall, that happens, very frustrating.

It was a very messy exit from the roosters for Latrell. He went to war against the roosters, very publicly. He spoke to us, Titans, NQ, an esl side and a few more. I was very critical of him and his management at the time. As much as you dislike the roosters, it was a bit of a low blow as a process. It’s happened to you guys over the years I guess.

Madge went up to Taree with staff but he didn’t return calls and we withdrew our silly offer.

He was getting some very bad press so they did a human interest story on him. I turned it off mid way.

One of the mistakes we made was the ceo offering him a blank cheque and going so public, when that only served to work against us. And since then, Chairmen Lee has been a lot quieter on these sensitive issues. So lee learnt something. I am a bit hard on him too!

Latrell settled for you on half price, which pretty much evidences that money is not the driving force for a lot of players. Certainly for some, but not others. We spoke about that recently I think.

If we are honest, on the whole and including being sidelined, you have probably only got 50% of Latrell power so far, but at a very reasonable cost.

I’m not convinced he is a Greg Inglis Mark 2, or a budding fullback legend -he takes up 2 or 3 tacklers in the centre’s. He’s hard to stop on the stop start stanzas. Too big and powerful from a standing start.

That’s just my view.

I think with his situation, you’d have to upgrade him to some extent, but he remains on the cusp to fulfil destiny. Bennett has done a fair job of settling him down, but we will see.

He would be my least favoured rabbit. He presents his own unique gifts and problems!!

He’s in a pretty talented side and that doesn’t make him as special. He sees other players doing things better than he can regularly. Back to earth!!

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member

Jim Rockford

Bench
The Backs have been chosen and now we're onto the Interchange for the Menulog Team of the Decade!: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...terchange-for-the-menulog-team-of-the-decade/

Haven't fully decided yet but I'm thinking I'll vote Clarky. He's an absolute legend and deserves to be in the team of the decade somewhere.

Qld greats throw support behind Slater for Maroons job: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...t/news-story/f6fd89b9ffd9f30c846f3a1f57af58f9
Yep, Clarky wasn't flash but you could always rely on him to do his job.Very solid Clubman.

Mixo Joe

Juniors
Hey, brother mixo, when is the next signing coming and which bronco? Cumon brother,no criptic messages!!
Lol bro Handy. A very senior South's official was holidaying at Avoca Beach last week and is extremely confident for number 22 this year. Yes we are talking to a couple of players for 2022 and a forward for this year. That's all I know at this stage:wink::zipper_mouth:

Travitoh

First Grade
Lol bro Handy. A very senior South's official was holidaying at Avoca Beach last week and is extremely confident for number 22 this year. Yes we are talking to a couple of players for 2022 and a forward for this year. That's all I know at this stage:wink::zipper_mouth:

Is the forward Tom Amone or will he not be returning?

Travitoh

First Grade
If Amone is on a train and trial, and his knee has recovered im positive 115k is available,im also optimistic we have some put aside for 1 more significant, subsidised, signing

Problem is that if Amone is signed, Souths will have a full 30.