What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offseason Thread

nick87

Coach
Interesting hires so far... some thoughts

the jags is probably the one i like least, but that team probably needs someone like Meyer... we'll see if his culture/programme building skills can translate to the next level. But if it does, Meyer, with Lawrence could be a stunningly great combination and a real franchise altering move. It's worth the swing, even if they miss.

Smith to the Falcons is interesting, i think Matt Ryan projects really well in that sort of system but i would be very tempted to let him pick a QB in this class and let him get to work. I would bet my life on the idea that Kyle Shanny and the Niners would be very eager to trade picks to get Matty Ice in the building

The Lions taking Dan Campbell is i think a solid C hire. There are some elements of Campbell i like, and he's a hard turn away from Patricia. Players will run through walls for Campbell, they'll be much tougher and united under him but i dont know what else he brings to the table.

Saleh is another one im super interested in. From all reports, he's an incredibly liked coach. Players LOVE him. He's apparently a super impressiver leader, which is important. But some reservations. Firstly i dont like defensive coaches, i just dont think thats where the game is heading. Vic Fangio is an astoundingly great defensive coach, and it an uninsirpring HC. Also Saleh comes from a schematic background, the Seattle cover 3 defence is dying in the league. I am bouyed by the idea of brining Mike LeFluer with him as OC.

Based on this, for my eagles... Brian Daball, Joe Brady and Lincoln Riley are the guys i want most i guess. Im going to be very unimpressed if it ends up being Deuce Staley or Mike Kafka

nick87

Coach

Hello.

I'm new here.

How you feeling about Goff?
I know we were both VERY bullish on our QB's a year ago... but i find it fascinating the Rams are in almost an identical situation to the eagles, a QB with a HUGE new deal who based on 2020, cant reall play, but are not getting crushed nearly as much.

You still in Goff?

kurt faulk

Coach
How you feeling about Goff?
I know we were both VERY bullish on our QB's a year ago... but i find it fascinating the Rams are in almost an identical situation to the eagles, a QB with a HUGE new deal who based on 2020, cant reall play, but are not getting crushed nearly as much.

You still in Goff?

i'm always in on goff. he was very average this year but nowhere near as bad as the talking heads make out. as i have always said, for the media when the rams lose it's goff's fault and when they win it's because mcvay is a genius. it was funny during the broadcast today when they told us they asked goff if all the constant criticism by the media had an effect on him and he said the exact same thing, "you know how it is, when we lose it's my fault and when we win i had nothing to do with it".

his problem is he is a pure pocket passer and his oline cannot provide a pocket. without a pocket he can't function. that's why the rams have turned into a dink and dunk offense, every time the rams try to throw deep goff gets gobbled up by the dline. give him time and he will slice and dice the opposition.

it must be frustrating for mcvay. he can't run his offense the way he wants because the qb can't escape the pocket when things break down, which is basically every time the rams are in long yardage situations.

you'd think they would improve the oline but here we are. dinking and dunking can only get you so far as mistakes are bound to happen. on top of that goff isn't seeing the field as well as he should by now. not sure why but the suspect oline would have to be a factor.

so, after all that, don't be surprised if the rams try to trade for watson. it's quicker and easier to trade for a qb that can escape the pocket than put together an oline that is impenetrable on a consistent basis.

Tom155

Coach
Interesting hires so far... some thoughts

the jags is probably the one i like least, but that team probably needs someone like Meyer... we'll see if his culture/programme building skills can translate to the next level. But if it does, Meyer, with Lawrence could be a stunningly great combination and a real franchise altering move. It's worth the swing, even if they miss.

Smith to the Falcons is interesting, i think Matt Ryan projects really well in that sort of system but i would be very tempted to let him pick a QB in this class and let him get to work. I would bet my life on the idea that Kyle Shanny and the Niners would be very eager to trade picks to get Matty Ice in the building

The Lions taking Dan Campbell is i think a solid C hire. There are some elements of Campbell i like, and he's a hard turn away from Patricia. Players will run through walls for Campbell, they'll be much tougher and united under him but i dont know what else he brings to the table.

Saleh is another one im super interested in. From all reports, he's an incredibly liked coach. Players LOVE him. He's apparently a super impressiver leader, which is important. But some reservations. Firstly i dont like defensive coaches, i just dont think thats where the game is heading. Vic Fangio is an astoundingly great defensive coach, and it an uninsirpring HC. Also Saleh comes from a schematic background, the Seattle cover 3 defence is dying in the league. I am bouyed by the idea of brining Mike LeFluer with him as OC.

Based on this, for my eagles... Brian Daball, Joe Brady and Lincoln Riley are the guys i want most i guess. Im going to be very unimpressed if it ends up being Deuce Staley or Mike Kafka
Saw you guys are interviewing Mcdaniels :eek:

kurt faulk

Coach

f**k me, one year as a dc and Staley gets hired as a hc. Do the Chargers know that he can't bring AD and Ramsey with him?

Look at how his d performed yesterday with Donald as a spectator for most of the game.

nick87

Coach
Saw you guys are interviewing Mcdaniels :eek:

They're casting a "wide net"
McDaniels would be interesting i guess. Dont think he'll take the job.

Which probably says all you need to know about how that job is valued... Someone is going to take the job but it feels like it will end up going to someone who doesnt have a lot of options

preparing for a Duece Staley / Mike Kafka hire
Hoping for Daboll, Lincoln Riley or Eric Beienemy... Joe Brady also could be OK. IDK. I just want a modern offence... even if they cant fix wentz, we'll be out of that in 12 months time, just someone who understands what works in the modern NFL... Loved Dougie P but his scheme was too reliant no dudes just "winning"... i'd like to see someone come in who schemes some easy wins

Latest posts