What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

Travitoh

First Grade
Not so, we have no development players listed, there are a couple in our 30 that can be transfered into that section there are 6 spots available, problem solved.

Not sure about that. Development player earnings are capped below the minimum salary for top 30 players.

https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrity/salary-cap/

Min. Top 30 fee of $100,000 for players 1-26 in 2018 increasing at $5,000 p.a until 2022

$70,000 for players 27-30 in 2018 increasing at $2,500 p.a until 2022

...NRL Development List players will be entitled to $60,000 p.a.

Maybe Amone will be signed to the development squad? But it doesnt appear that players can be downgraded. It will be a contractual issue.

Last edited:
Paul Stringer, Ben Rogers, Ash Harrison, Chris Walker, Manase Manufakoa, Yileen Buddy Gorden, Fa alago, Jayden Lowe...and you had that guy on the wing....wonderful player, islander, I forget his name...not Merritt...

From an outsiders perspective, maybe Roy Asotasi was the start of the enduring ascent into super-power status -Kidwell could play too. The start of destination club growth.

But John Sutton, as a kid and through to recent times. In his day, he frightened many of the marquees of the game. He could step like Cody Walker could pass. Those were the days of defence too. Attack was a dirty word.

And Shane Richardson, controversial and so forth, but all said and done, one of the great ceos in rugby league history. I’m surprised clubs aren’t falling over themselves to hire him, took him 8 years but he got there and left your club in much better shape than when he found it. Hundred times over. We should get him in to consult if we miss the finals this year.

Last edited:

i thought the minimum wage was 110k - this article has it as 75k for roster spots 27 to 30 - up to 60 k for development players.

Getting more like NFL/MLB it seems with the following highlighted below - what next 4 quarter football and overtime- i am wondering with the obsession to have the ball in play for longer periods -what happens if there is no points or few being scored for longer and longer periods?

Nine want high scoring games so they can whack in more adds - so if no or few points will they advocate for 4 quarter football - 5 to 10 minute breaks after 1 and 3rd quarters and 10 to 15 minute half time break? Isn't there a review of all tries before they are awarded - more add opportunities

I read an article that said there is actually only 11 minutes a game that the ball is in play in the NFL- NFL games go for 3 hour plus with all those huddles/time off and time outs/ref's review and decisions and some blokes coming onto to the field with some funny looking measuring chain for first downs etc -seen one the other day the attacking team was 3 inches short of a first down - took about 3 or 4 minutes- strangely in a multi billion sport these measure chain folk are paid up to $100 a game.

upload_2021-1-20_0-32-46.jpeg

A review of the player contracting system will also take place in 2021 as previously planned, with a holistic analysis that takes in the possibility of trade periods and changing roster cut-off dates among other ideas to be considered.

i thought the minimum wage was 110k - this article has it as 75k for roster spots 27 to 30 - up to 60 k for development players.

Getting more like NFL/MLB it seems with the following highlighted below - what next 4 quarter football and overtime- i am wondering with the obsession to have the ball in play for longer periods -what happens if there is no points or few being scored for longer and longer periods?

Nine want high scoring games so they can whack in more adds - so if no or few points will they advocate for 4 quarter football - 5 to 10 minute breaks after 1 and 3rd quarters and 10 to 15 minute half time break? Isn't there a review of all tries before they are awarded - more add opportunities

I read an article that said there is actually only 11 minutes a game that the ball is in play in the NFL- NFL games go for 3 hour plus with all those huddles/time off and time outs/ref's review and decisions and some blokes coming onto to the field with some funny looking measuring chain for first downs etc -seen one the other day the attacking team was 3 inches short of a first down - took about 3 or 4 minutes- strangely in a multi billion sport these measure chain folk are paid up to $100 a game.

View attachment 45336

A review of the player contracting system will also take place in 2021 as previously planned, with a holistic analysis that takes in the possibility of trade periods and changing roster cut-off dates among other ideas to be considered.
Great post.

62967F25-5312-4517-A2E9-02C0CDBF2B87.jpeg
This is big tui for Souths fans reference. Injury forced him out of the game.

A friend of mine met him at fan day and said he was the most humble and even shy footballer he’d ever encountered.

He would have been beloved at Souths and probably all clubs as well.

That winger was a beast

He was a beast and won some awards.

I posted him here mainly for the good character reference.

Fans generally gravitate towards the player who sees the game as one big adventure and refrains from ego.

I mentioned it awhile ago, but Jacob Host is going to give 100% good character as his mates love him ....and he never flogs on about how wonderful he is.

And he was not starstruck by the self described marquee in the sgi squad either.

Could he be new Clark or Geddes?!!

He will lap it up and be excited to meet new friends and fans. I hope he kicks on, he deserves a bit of fame.

Ever-reliable Ben Lowe is up for nomination in the Menulog Team of the Decade!: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...nomination-in-the-menulog-team-of-the-decade/

For the club ultra faithful, it must be like picking one of your 4 kids to travel to Disneyland with you!

I had a look at the fullback nominations, Wesser and Merrit.

If memory serves I think wesser threw one of the greatest inside passes at speed of all time, called back for being forward...but it was legal. I think it was during his smug ( Penrith) days...

But Imagine being on the same bloody short list as Greg Inglis??!

So from the menu log comp, to GI, I went to his career highlights. Two points:

A) Beating 7 broncos from a standing start and
B) All the YouTube posters, showing snippets, none identical. They draw from the same and many different games. So many moments. Some players get zero or negative and thousands never even reach grade.

There’s that attempted tackle by Sandow in the reels and the little bloke rebounds 15 feet in the air. You gawk at Greg’s power but you feel Chris’s courage too. Great vision, well done to both.

Last edited:
Jason Clark could be the next player voted in the Menulog Team of the Decade!: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...ayer-voted-in-the-menulog-team-of-the-decade/

You've gotta be kidding yourself if you don't vote for Clarky here!!

There’s some tough selections though,

Eddie Pettybourne was a gun player. Both players at optimum firepower, I think Eddie would win. He had the odd bezerker moment. Wonderful servant for you.

But if you’re thinking consistency and general grunt, Clark must win. Mad Rabbitohness, then Clark.

A sense of composure when Clarke ran on. He would do his best or die trying. No half speed! Could very occasionally lift to marquee status. Rare, but he could play, no question.

The decisions are cruel. Some of you fans won’t be sleeping at night over it!

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
‘You’re a f***ing piece of s**t’ - Burgess’s shock claim over family blow-up: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7ae5187a4cdc5ce92edfcb2ec7db8a2a

From Fox Sports,

BIG TRANSFER CHANGE ON NRL’S AGENDA AGAIN

The NRL’s much-hyped trade window is back on the agenda again with the governing body commissioning a review into player contracts.

Yep, we love a review. They’re about as popular as committees or subcommittees in the great game.

Buried in the fine print of the NRL’s player pay cut deal struck with the Rugby League Players Association earlier this week were a couple of lines about the said review.

What it means is trade and transfer windows will be seriously looked at, something the NRL clubs have long been in favour or but the RLPA is staunchly opposed against.

The review is also tipped to look at the rules around terminating contracts early.

Trade windows have long been a buzz phrase at NRL headquarters but it remains to be seen if anything will actually come of this round of talks.

Also, From Sporting News,

Adam Reynolds' shock admission over South Sydney Rabbitohs 2014 Premiership win

The 2014 premiership victory for the South Sydney Rabbitohs was one of the most memorable in history.

But according to their current captain Adam Reynolds , it should have happened 12 months earlier.

After a 43-year drought that saw them kicked out of the competition for two seasons at one stage, the Rabbitohs finally gave their fans something to cheer about when they defeated the Bulldogs.

Souths had lost two preliminary finals in a row to the Bulldogs and Sea Eagles prior to their breakthrough premiership.

And according to Reynolds, the 2013 side should have won the premiership and revealed their side that year was even better.

“We got beat by Manly – that was probably the most disappointing game I’ve been a part of in my career," he said on Brett Finch Unscensored .

"I thought in '13 we had a better team than in '14. I thought we were primed to win it that year, and the Roosters went on to win it. That was probably the most disappointing game, because we didn’t perform as a team.

"I remember we were up and they (Manly) scored this freakish try in the corner, and everything sort of clicked for Manly at that time. We stopped playing footy when we hit the lead, and that’s something as a half I learnt you can’t do in first grade.

"You have to keep playing and applying pressure to the other team. I thought in '13 we deserved to win it – '14 maybe."

In 2014, things clicked for the Rabbitohs and they went on to win the premiership after a rampant run in the finals series.

Reynolds said the defeats the two previous years lit a 'fire in the belly', despite his admission that they arguably had a weaker roster on paper.

“The disappointment from the year before and the fire in the belly carries over to that pre-season. We were hungrier than ever, and everything we did was better than the year before," he said.

"We got to the point in the season where we knew we could drag teams the 70th minute at nil-all or 6-all, and we would blow them away. The year before we played for 70-75 minutes and we’d have lapses in games and it would cost us like it did in the semi.

"We started a bit jittery in one of the semis against the Roosters. I remember (Ben) Te’o came back from suspension and he came back and really lifted the spirits of the team. Him and Sammy (Burgess) both knew they were exiting rugby league.

“The wave of emotion I was talking about – not only us, but for the fans. This was the shining light at the end of the tunnel, and everywhere we went we felt like kings.

"We dragged them 60-65 minutes into that game, and at the end we came away too strong. It was a wave of emotion, and it felt like we were never going to get beat in 14."

Rabbit57

Juniors
If Amone is on a train and trial, and his knee has recovered im positive 115k is available,im also optimistic we have some put aside for 1 more significant, subsidised, signing
I hear Brandon Smith keen to move if Cameron Smith stays at Storm. Would love to have Brandon as the final signing. His power, creativity and versatility would make us hard to beat.