What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So Muz... i take it by your comment that you think Matt Dufty is a better defensive fullback than James Tedesco...

Wow...i guess we all truly see the game differently...

I am all for stats painting a picture but, in my opinion, they don't in this case...

If it came down to me having to choose one or the other to make a tackle to save my life, i know who I'd be choosing.
If anything highlights that Tedesco is more of an attacking weapon than a solid defensive fullback..

Personally I was surprised at his tackle efficiency..

Again, comes down to perception.. The media love Tedesco so talk him up at any opportunity..

And let’s face it, Dufty cops it on here..

But it looks like they’re actually closer than we think..

That being said, I’d sign teddy in a second..

getsmarty

Immortal
Off-contract Dufty set to impress Griffin
  • National Sport
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Off-contract NRL fullback Matt Dufty insists he wants to stay with St George Illawarra.
    Matt Dufty is one of the hottest off-contract players in the NRL but with a new coach to impress he has declared he wants to remain at St George Illawarra.

There has never been a more important pre-season for the 25-year-old fullback who admits he may have some big decisions to make with a contract on the line at the end of the year.

"It's always in the back of your mind coming into the last year of your contract, you've got a point to prove," he said on Monday.

"You want to be re-signed, or there comes a point where you have to think about your future as well.

"Obviously some big decisions for me this year.

"I'd love to stay at the Red V."

After moving to Shellharbour to be nearer to training last year, his intentions are clear.

But several NRL clubs are keeping a close eye on his development under Anthony Griffin.

Dufty had a solid end to the 2020 season, but struggled for consistency under former coach Paul McGregor as the Dragons spine was chopped and changed each week.

Griffin has already declared no position is safe this season, which gives Dufty a point to prove to maintain his spot at No.1.

Youngsters Cody Ramsay and Tyrell Sloan are nipping at his heels at training, which Dufty says is pushing him to improve.

Speed is his strength, while he's working on timing and extra efforts to take his game to the next level this season.

"It's the little things, pushing off the ball, getting more touches," he said.

"The way the game's going I can't miss those jumps if Cam (McInnes) takes off or if one of the halves makes a half break.

"I've got to be there to capitalise.

"It's the little things, it's not the big plays.

"It's getting the numbers right and finding consistency because fullback is an important position at the moment."

Australian Associated Press

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/7090376/off-contract-dufty-set-to-impress-griffin/?cs=9321

getsmarty

Immortal
De Belin drops to reserve grade, Dufty reveals disappointment with Dragons
Christian Nicolussi
January 18, 2021 — 3.58pm
Leave a comment

Jack de Belin has started training with St George Illawarra's reserve grade side rather than the main group as star fullback Matt Dufty expressed ''disappointment'' in the club for failing to begin talks about a potential new deal.

De Belin was nowhere to be seen as the Dragons slugged it out in the Monday heat.

1aefb7d027661f8fa34b855ffe6abb588d6605ac

Jack de Belin is now training with St George Illawarra's reserve grade team, away from the main group, until his re-trial.Credit:Kate Geraghty/SMH

Teammates confirmed the representative forward had not trained with the NRL squad since Christmas. Several players have remained in contact with the 29-year-old, but he is now keeping in shape with the club's part-timers.

De Belin remains unavailable for selection because of the NRL's no-fault stand-down rule, and will fight five aggravated sexual assault charges at a re-trial before a judge and jury in the Downing Centre in April. His original hearing failed to reach a majority verdict late last year.

Distancing de Belin from the full-time squad will give him the chance to spend time with family and lawyers. More importantly, it will end suggestions his appearances at training the past two seasons proved a daily distraction for NRL players.

Dufty caught up with de Belin last week and said while he was no longer training with the NRL squad, he was in good spirits.

010a06edb7edfdf107a97326f0eb2fb2a6c44a2e

Matt Dufty works up a sweat at Dragons training on Monday.

"He's the most positive person I know, he's always got a smile on his face,'' Dufty said. "He's always asking how training is going, he's still interested and close with most of the boys here.''

De Belin reached an "in-principle agreement'' with the Dragons to stay put at the club this year, provided he was cleared before the courts.

Dufty, who along with Zac Lomax was the club's best attacking weapon last year, revealed he was yet to hear anything about the club's plans for him in 2022 and beyond.

The 25-year-old knows he needs to cash in on his next deal, and has spent the bulk of his first-grade career proving himself to the Dragons hierarchy.

"I haven't heard anything from the club - it's a bit disappointing they haven't talked to me yet," Dufty said on Monday.

"I've given a lot to the Dragons since I was about 14, I'd just like to think they want me. That's all I want to feel. Money's not an issue, it's just the fact [I want] a bit of respect, that's all.

"There has been [interest elsewhere], but I won't say who at the moment. It is still early days. That makes you feel good [there's interest]. But the one that matters at the moment, it's disappointing.

"Obviously I'd like to stay in the 'Gong'. There was a stage there last year where I could have gone, and I had permission to go. Huddersfield was probably the main [option], but I wanted to stay in the NRL.

"I still had a contract and I wanted to prove myself to the Dragons. Hopefully that loyalty gets rewarded.

"I like to think I'm a humble person, but I do need to think about my future as well.

"I think I'm a lot more mature than I was when I last re-signed a contract, and last time I was off-contract 'Normy' [Corey Norman] had just come to the club.''

Dufty was out of favour this time last year and was close to joining Huddersfield, only to back himself and win back his No.1 jersey at the joint venture. He praised former assistant Shane Flanagan for a frank conversation that inspired him to chase the opportunity in front of him.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/de...appointment-with-dragons-20210118-p56uzm.html

goldiesaintz

Juniors

Looks like he's bulked up a bit, well done to him.

Most players are purely in it 'as a business' and chase a dollar anywhere they can.
Duffty has indicated he wants to stay and is not chasing top coin.

Hope we can fit him in, Hook in particular.
He is a genuine game changer.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

Looks like he's bulked up a bit, well done to him.

Most players are purely in it 'as a business' and chase a dollar anywhere they can.
Duffty has indicated he wants to stay and is not chasing top coin.

Hope we can fit him in, Hook in particular.
He is a genuine game changer.
Jeez I reckon he could become a good hooker. I realise its never going to happen but he would be explosive and has a good passing game too.

Crush

Coach
All the Dufty fan boys must be crying in their beers. What a shock? No talk of a Dufty contract extension
Why would Dufty fans be crying into their beers? I am a fan of Dufty but would be spewing if the club extended him before seeing if he has improved.
I am sure a Dufty extension is well on the cards and if he starts the season well he'll be extended.
Maybe put the voodoo doll away mate and embrace the healthy competition.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Why would Dufty fans be crying into their beers? I am a fan of Dufty but would be spewing if the club extended him before seeing if he has improved.
I am sure a Dufty extension is well on the cards and if he starts the season well he'll be extended.
Maybe put the voodoo doll away mate and embrace the healthy competition.
Dufty’s best chance extending would be now. His deficiencies will only get highlighted as the season progresses.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Dufty’s best chance extending would be now. His deficiencies will only get highlighted as the season progresses.
Given he improved out of sight vs this time last year, how do you foresee that happening?

Maddragon99

Juniors
Given he improved out of sight vs this time last year, how do you foresee that happening?
Fu@k you Dufty fan boys crack me up! I hope he gets the start round one so I can spend a few weeks pointing out all his deficiencies unit he gets dropped :joy::joy::joy:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Fu@k you Dufty fan boys crack me up! I hope he gets the start round one so I can spend a few weeks pointing out all his deficiencies unit he gets dropped :joy::joy::joy:
I’m curious..

Who said I’m a fan boy?

And what deficiencies are you planning to point out?

His leading our try scoring tally?
His leading the club for try assists?
His stupid haircuts?

okay, I’ll give you the last one.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I’m curious..

Who said I’m a fan boy?

And what deficiencies are you planning to point out?

His leading our try scoring tally?
His leading the club for try assists?
His stupid haircuts?

okay, I’ll give you the last one.
Ramsey has a mullet so Duf probably has him there

Last edited: