What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

the simple undeniable fact is that we finished 15th & 12th the past two years. Players like JP, Merrin, Dufty, Williame & McInnes are all off contract. These players are rightly or wrongly associated with the sub par results. I doubt if any of the off contract players will be retained. Hook wants his own men not McGuber’s throwbacks.

I’m still a McInness fan. All through the dark days, he slogged his guts out and made a massive impact. But more broadly speaking, I have to agree. The build is on. Vaughn can go too.

Hook has sent some big names packing in the past and yet he still has a good success rate. He’s tough.

When Hook arrived, all he promised was effort. He has set the bar low in people’s mind at this stage during formative de-maryfication. I think that’s the right pr message. Not the team he wants. No coach gets the team they want.

But If he can get the side pumping and playing well, even if they miss the 8, it will be seen as an achievement of sorts.

Under Mary you’d sit and wait for a player of beauty like Frizz to drop the ball at a critical time. He’d find a way. It was tragic. But “hooking” up with the knights, ffs, their season is over now anyway. He can’t take a trick. If he wanted a fresh start he should have stayed. He didn’t know, but the pressure was building at the time. We all saw it.

Gus Gould called him the best coach in the game-before the public falling out. Even if he didn’t like Hook, I think Gus went too far criticising Hook and Gus’s assistance to McGregors review was laughable. The club was a laughing stock. Took some pressure off us!

The Tigers, we now have giant forwards, Packer is the runt of the pack in terms of size, some backage, but no proper fullback or rake. Shallow depth. 3 spots and a little cash as I understand it. We’d love a McInnes yesterday, despite the wrongful lack of enthusiasm on lu. I don’t think the lads here understand.

One clubs trash is another’s treasure sometimes.

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
I haven’t seen the new duff. I only saw the old Mary one.

It’s going to take me a few years to adjust to sgi being a force again. It’s still early days and there’s a lot to get through. Duff was coming good last year.
But everyone is needed front and centre. Just like us. Not enough marquee to play factory. Matty Elliot is an interesting choice. All fascinating. Gone from a single set of footprints to a relay. Strong men with strong views.
Dufty still can’t tackle in fact he’s a coward in defence. He lets in more tries than he scores. What was our average? 22 points a game in defence? 35270BD7-7058-4DB3-BD64-FA9D75AADA2D.jpeg
I’m still a McInness fan. All through the dark days, he slogged his guts out and made a massive impact. But more broadly speaking, I have to agree. The build is on. Vaughn can go too.

Hook has sent some big names packing in the past and yet he still has a good success rate. He’s tough.

When Hook arrived, all he promised was effort. He has set the bar low in people’s mind at this stage during formative de-maryfication. I think that’s the right pr message. Not the team he wants. No coach gets the team they want.

If he can get the side pumping it will be seen as an achievement of sorts.

Under Mary you’d sit and wait for a player of beauty like Frizz to drop the ball at a critical time. He’d find a way. It was tragic. But “hooking” up with the knights, ffs, their season is over now anyway. He can’t take a trick.

Gus Gould called him the best coach in the game-before the public falling out. Even if he didn’t like Hook, I think Gus went too far criticising Hook and Gus’s assistance to McGregors review was laughable. The club was a laughing stock. Took some pressure off us!

The Tigers, we now have giant forwards, Packer is the runt of the pack in terms of size, some backage, but no proper fullback or rake. Shallow depth. 3 spots and a little cash as I understand it. We’d love a McInnes yesterday, despite the wrongful lack of enthusiasm on lu. I don’t think the lads here understand.

I hope Gus chokes on his words. I have a wild disdain for that man. He was Against Hook from the start Fu@k him!

Dufty still can’t tackle in fact he’s a coward in defence. He lets in more tries than he scores. What was our average? 22 points a game in defence? View attachment 45297

I hope Gus chokes on his words. I have a wild disdain for that man. He was Against Hook from the start Fu@k him!

It was bad defence, so was ours.

Yeah, I have zero respect for Gus since he went all political on Hook. Most coaches don’t have the dirty laundry aired. But even then, Hook fought back. Unafraid. A powerful adversary.

He comes in to help Mary and the whole thing turns into a complete dogs breakfast. Horrific.

I think most people respect Hook and he’s worth a try. He will do his best and he won’t fib and make a million excuses. That’s a willing start.

Maddragon99

Juniors
It was bad defence, so was ours.

Yeah, I have zero respect for Gus since he went all political on Hook. Most coaches don’t have the dirty laundry aired. But even then, Hook fought back. Unafraid. A powerful adversary.

He comes in to help Mary and the whole thing turns into a complete dogs breakfast. Horrific.

I think most people respect Hook and he’s worth a try. He will do his best and he won’t fib and make a million excuses. That’s a willing start.
What’s the saying? Success is the best revenge. Hope we hammer Easts on ANZAC Day & whenever we play Penrith put them to the sword.

Banjo2014

Juniors
Dufty has played 67 matches since making his debut with the Dragons in 2017, scoring a total of 34 tries and assisting a further 26.

mickeylane

Bench
Dufty has played 67 matches since making his debut with the Dragons in 2017, scoring a total of 34 tries and assisting a further 26.
Dufty is worth persevering with during the first half of the season as he may just become exceptionally good under solid coaching and earn himself an extension sometime in June no earlier ! but if he fails I have absolutely no doubt that young Ramsay will turn out to be a great fullback in the future - the great Brett Mullins spent 2-3 years on the wing in his formative years before shifting to FB so It’s a win win still for the dragons if Dufty comes good...... if not ...

Walpole

Juniors
Dufty still can’t tackle in fact he’s a coward in defence. He lets in more tries than he scores. What was our average? 22 points a game in defence? View attachment 45297

Not sure Dufty was responsible for all 22 points. And lately the whole team lets in more tries than it scores.

SnowDragon

Juniors
I remember being excited about the improvement in Dufty last year. He is now getting to an age and experience where he probably won’t be rag-dolled much more than others (inc slater and Tedesco), especially as he shows more grit. He added the passing and kicking and is a lot more dangerous. Think about how well he may do behind a team that is performing!

None of that positivity means we should sign him up now for 5yrs, it means we should get behind him and enjoy. If he does perform, we have good options, if he falls back in skills and looses the fight, then we can consider Ramsey switching, and not extending him. Options are good.

BLM01

First Grade

But If he can get the side pumping and playing well, even if they miss the 8, it will be seen as an achievement of sorts.

Under Mary you’d sit and wait for a player of beauty like Frizz to drop the ball at a critical time. He’d find a way. It was tragic. But “hooking” up with the knights, ffs, their season is over now anyway. He can’t take a trick. If he wanted a fresh start he should have stayed. He didn’t know, but the pressure was building at the time. We all saw it.

And the Dragons have bought a fair bit of trash over the past 10 years
It’s just unfortunately that we could not coax or coach them out of the garbage bin
Mary kept his head in that bin scrambling through it saying I know there’s a treasure in there or a genie in a bottle somewhere and just kept scrambling.

SaintPeter

Juniors
Personally I think he is an embarrassment to the club.
To wear the number one jersey for this mighty club is an honour and a privilege.
With that, comes great responsibility. One of those is to be able to risk injury by putting your body on the line in defense and in attack.
He just doesn't do it. He cant tackle.
He has a massive over inflated opinion of himself that is hilarious.
The SMH is reporting today that Saints haven't talked to him yet re contract extension. Hello.

getsmarty

Immortal
duftym-200717_gt_0.jpg

DRAGONS

It's the little things that make all the difference to Dufty
Author
Chris Kennedy NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 18 Jan 2021, 05:00 PM
kennedychris-head.png

Share on social media
Dragons fullback Matt Dufty believes a focus on winning those little plays in games could help build his game to the next level in what is a crucial contract year for the 25-year-old.

Dufty returned his equal-highest try tally (13) and second-highest games tally (18, after playing 26 in 2018) last season in what was his fourth year in first grade.

He produced comfortable career highs in line break assists (14) and try assists (12) as his ball-playing evolved significantly in what was his most effective season at the top level.

Aside from playing for his future, Dufty will also be playing for his own spot when the 2021 season kicks off as up-and-comers like Cody Ramsey stake their claims and the Feagai brothers push for spots in Anthony Griffin's backline.

"I've been there and done that (pushing senior players for spots) so it's really good to be on the other end and seeing them pushing me," Dufty said.

"Hopefully I can bring what I brought last year, that consistency week in week out.

"It's more the little things, pushing off the ball, trying to get a bit more touches.

remote.axd

Analysing the Dragons' 2021 draw

Analysing the Dragons' 2021 draw

"The way the game's going I can't miss those jumps if Cam (McInnes) takes off or one of the halves make a half-break, I have to be there to capitalise.

"It's little things like that, I don't think it's the big plays, it's more the little ones. Getting the numbers right, bringing that total game consistency."

Dufty admitted his contract status was on his mind but was hoping to push for a new deal at the Dragons.

"It's always in the back of your mind coming into the last year of a contract, you have a point to prove or want to be re-signed or there comes a point when you have to think about your future as well," he said.

"It's obviously a big decision for me this year, I'd love to stay at the Red V."

Dufty was enjoying the new training set-up under Griffin.

"New training staff, new coaching, the boys have something to prove and every position is up for grabs so there's a bit of healthy competitiveness around the joint," Dufty said.

"It's really good, I'm enjoying training, I'm enjoying learning new things off new people at the moment, it's going really well.

remote.axd

The best of Zac Lomax's breakout 2020 season

The best of Zac Lomax's breakout 2020 season

"Hook's a very up and down, black and white type of guy. There's no beating around the bush - uf you do something good he'll tell you you did good, if you do something bad he'll tell you.

"I really enjoy that, he's got a real focus on what he wants us to achieve this year. It's pretty refreshing to just have that new outlook on where he wants to take the club."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...things-that-make-all-the-difference-to-dufty/

“ think about your future” is code for “ gimme overs”

All the players push this tired old line.

As for scoring and try assists, every footy fan knows that players don’t play in a vacuum.

Sometimes tries are easy and sometimes they are very hard, same with try assists. Same with reading play, stepping, positioning, communication, strength and all kinds of attributes. The best pass in recent memory was Morgan pop in origin or Cody Walker double pumping cut out feint v knights in the finals last year. Serious footy excellence that stats don’t recognise properly.

At any rate, only the elite players are consistently excellent. Duffy is not elite.

But he had a go last year and on that basis, I’d extend the benefit of the doubt to him. If he was getting worse, as players do, I’d offer him wholesale. But being generous, his game is on the up and I’d hesitate to spear him at this point without some kind of further consideration.

Hes not into overs territory.

I think he probably just needs to play and be quiet right now. These players like to speak and create expectations or some journo gets bored.

Only say a Munster lives up to them, the cream of the crop.

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach

As for scoring and try assists, every footy fan knows that players don’t play in a vacuum.

Sometimes tries are easy and sometimes they are very hard, same with try assists. Same with reading play, stepping, positioning, communication, strength and all kinds of attributes. The best pass in recent memory was Morgan pop in origin or Cody Walker double pumping cut out feint v knights in the finals last year. Serious footy excellence that stats don’t recognise properly.

At any rate, only the elite players are consistently excellent. Duffy is not elite.

But he had a go last year and on that basis, I’d extend the benefit of the doubt to him. If he was getting worse, as players do, I’d offer him wholesale. But being generous, his game is on the up and I’d hesitate to spear him at this point without some kind of further consideration.

I think he probably just needs to play and be quiet right now. These players like to speak and create expectations or some journo gets bored.

Why are you here? Don’t you have a children’s playground to loiter around?

possm

Coach
I remember being excited about the improvement in Dufty last year. He is now getting to an age and experience where he probably won’t be rag-dolled much more than others (inc slater and Tedesco), especially as he shows more grit. He added the passing and kicking and is a lot more dangerous. Think about how well he may do behind a team that is performing!

None of that positivity means we should sign him up now for 5yrs, it means we should get behind him and enjoy. If he does perform, we have good options, if he falls back in skills and looses the fight, then we can consider Ramsey switching, and not extending him. Options are good.
We had very few options last year and that is why Lomax, Ravalawa and Dufty scored most of the tries and were involved in most of the try assists. Lomax and Dufty were the go to men on most attacking raids.

Under Griffin, not only will the defensive repsponsibilities be spread more widely, but also will the attacking opportunities.

I see all of the middle forwards being awarded a higher number of tackles each game and our edge forwards providing greater assistance to our centres in defence as well.

In attack I see our halves sending the ball more eaually to both sides of the field mainly because Aitken is no longer our left centre. So Feagai and Lomax, Ramsey and Ravalawa will join Dufty in the try scoring stakes.

If Hunt and Norman do truly lift their game in attack, I expect these two players will also score their fair share of tries.

But it will most likely be in defence that these players will be judged. Griffin is well know for his desire to have a team made up of good defenders. Fan expectations will highlight each players performance in attack by standing and cheering. Missed defence will result in cheers and related comments. Most importantly, missed defence could result in a stint in Canterbury Cup with a young gun or fringe first grade player being promoted.

I am just wondering how long it will take the side to become operational under real time game conditions?

That moment where it all makes sense and they understand and perform as a unit.

They are coming from behind with years of failure and frustration to overcome, but the raw material is still there isn’t it?

I’m thinking round 4 or 5 before you see the footy hooks aspires to on a full run. Anything earlier is a solid bonus.

And I suppose everyone recalls the Injury tally in recent pre seasons? I wonder what his go will be there? No big names surely, but he needs to see them in action too under his ideas. Damned either way.

Some big decisions early on for Hook and his club backers.

Time for Hunt to shut up and earn half his outrageous salary package.

Rumours won’t quieten down that McInness wants out. More journalists partying with Naden probably.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

I wouldn’t pay him overs, not with Ramsey, Sloan and Schiller waiting in the wings. I think he deserves first crack and if he nails it then we will see. He improved massively in 2020 undoubtedly but he never got to a level I thought he looked like a future origin player or a premiership winning fullback just yet. I’m happy to give him a level of pay based on what I saw in 2020 which is not elite. It’s very good but he’s a tier down from the Teddy’s, Paps, Munsters, Ponga’s of the world. If he’s willing to risk it and he gets to their level fine he can get that kind of coin but based on some of his efforts not even contesting bombs he’s not in overs territory just yet.

I wouldn’t pay him overs, not with Ramsey, Sloan and Schiller waiting in the wings. I think he deserves first crack and if he nails it then we will see. He improved massively in 2020 undoubtedly but he never got to a level I thought he looked like a future origin player or a premiership winning fullback just yet. I’m happy to give him a level of pay based on what I saw in 2020 which is not elite. It’s very good but he’s a tier down from the Teddy’s, Paps, Munsters, Ponga’s of the world. If he’s willing to risk it and he gets to their level fine he can get that kind of coin but based on some of his efforts not even contesting bombs he’s not in overs territory just yet.

I agree.

Just promise him everything, massage his ego to keep him hopeful and interested. Feed him crap and hope he plays well. But if he fails to keep moving forward, ffs shoot him in the back.

I’m sure there’s every chance Hook thinks he’s a flog by now.

Hook helped punt Moylan into the next world and Moylan been unusually f**ked ever since. Grounded him for being a spoilt brat. Matty never got over it.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I agree.

Just promise him everything, massage his ego to keep him hopeful and interested. Feed him crap and hope he plays well. But if he fails to keep moving forward, ffs shoot him in the back.

I’m sure there’s every chance Hook thinks he’s a flog by now.

Hook helped punt Moylan into the next world and Moylan been unusually f**ked ever since. Grounded him for being a spoilt brat. Matty never got over it.
Most fans and supporters can agree on one thing about Dufty and that is his speed in attack and his elusiveness. But what all will be watching for is:
  • His ability to take the high ball.
  • His ability to run the ball out from his own 20.
  • His ability to be an effective last line of defence.
  • Dufty's positional play in defence will also be closely watched by all.
I suppose much will depend on whether any mistakes at the back made by Dufty, which actually cost the team a win. Such a circumstance would have calls for him to be replaced.