What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion won't happen anytime soon

Perth Red

Post Whore
And what has dckhead Trump got to do with nrl expansion? Lol

as soon as vlandys said a few months ago that expansion would need to pay its way and not hurt exisiting clubs it was obvious the status quo would remain and either vlandys was naive, or lying about his intention to bring in Brisbane2 ASAP. Covid has offered him a perfect excuse for more procrastination.

Not one quote in that article. It’s just News Ltd protecting their investment in the Broncos. The CM will hammer the shit out of Brisbane 2 at every chance
That's what I thought when I read the article. Murdoch still runs the game and doesn't want his shit club to lose any of its massive advantages.

flippikat

Bench
And what has dckhead Trump got to do with nrl expansion? Lol

as soon as vlandys said a few months ago that expansion would need to pay its way and not hurt exisiting clubs it was obvious the status quo would remain and either vlandys was naive, or lying about his intention to bring in Brisbane2 ASAP. Covid has offered him a perfect excuse for more procrastination.

Just to clarify, I was referring to the indirect influence of American policy on how the rest of the world treats something. Like it or not, America's response to anything - from the Middle East to a Global Pandemic - sets the tone for the global response. The difference between Trump & Biden is a difference in tone as much as a difference in policy - perhaps even more in tone. (Youre not gonna see Biden publicly pondering wacky treatments like bleach or UV light, for a start) The global response to Covid impacts on every business - including sports.

To your second point.. you're right, it does seem like a fortunate excuse to do the same old nothing that's been happening for nearly two decades.. which probably spurred my frustrated comment about still doing Brisbane2 in 2023. In all reality, 2024 is probably the earliest realistic season they could do it, but even then I'm not holding my breath.

The Great Dane

First Grade
That's odd, because you took a single sentence statement from me and wrote paragraphs trying to rebutt it - and not particularly convincingly, I must say.
I wasn't 'rebutting' anything, just stating the realities of US politics as it stands and trying to dissuade this BS that the Democrats are/would be any better than the Republicans.

The D or R next to the name doesn't mean a damned thing, they are all just trying to maintain the establishment and keep the gravy train flowing.
Like it or not, America's response to anything - from the Middle East to a Global Pandemic - sets the tone for the global response. The difference between Trump & Biden is a difference in tone as much as a difference in policy - perhaps even more in tone. (Youre not gonna see Biden publicly pondering wacky treatments like bleach or UV light, for a start) The global response to Covid impacts on every business - including sports.
I said I wouldn't talk about politics anymore, but that right there is why every Western country is a mess!

This obsession with how things are perceived over the substance of what they actually are is f**king insane. Who cares about the tone that a politician uses, in the long run their tone doesn't mean a damned thing, the only thing that matters is whether or not they were effective in addressing the problems put before them and how they did it.

When it comes to Covid (or any other aggressive pandemic), the reality is that no matter whom was the president it was going to be impossible for them to be effective in preventing it's spread, because the whole American political system was set up by their founding fathers to stop a single body of the government taking complete control over the system, when to respond to Covid effectively on a national scale you needed the federal government to be given, or take, power over the whole system. There's no way that that power was ever going to be freely given in the US, and god help us all if somebody ever takes it.

BTW, direct exposure to UV light is one of the most effective methods of killing microorganisms, and is effective in killing other coronaviruses such as SARS and MERS.
I'm not absolutely certain as I haven't really looked into it, but I'd be extremely surprised to find out that Covid 19 is resistant to UV light...

Reflector

Juniors
June makes sense from a Covid perspective too, as we'd be well into the roll-out of vaccines (on both sides of the Tasman), and have a pretty good read on how things are tracking globally - especially given that America will have sane leadership firmly installed & running for a few months.

I, too, can't wait for Joe W. Biden to get to work doing...you know....the thing....

Reflector

Juniors
They're not just 'beholden to corporate interests', both parties are out and out corrupt and in bed with all sorts of interests.

In real terms it didn't really matter what the president and/or federal government did in response to Covid, as the majority of meaningful measures that could prevent/contain Covid impacted on states' rights, and if the POTUS did declare a state of emergency and overrule state legislature everybody (Democratic and Republican governors, the media, political commentators, etc) would have declared it fascist/communist/authoritarian/racist/etc/pick your poison, which BTW is exactly what happened when Trump spoke about closing the boarders to China early on.
In other words in this case the office of the president in particular was damned if they did and damned if they didn't, and it wouldn't have mattered whom was the POTUS at the time they would have been f**ked politically as a result.

And I have a news flash for you, Biden is just as scientifically illiterate and egotistical as Trump and most of the other American presidents and world leaders in general. Every political party/actor around the world, not least the Democrats or Republicans, denies science when it's inconvenient, they just aren't abrasive loudmouths like Trump with a hostile media all too willing to portray him in the worst light possible (to the point of openly lying about him often), so it's easier for partisans to pretend that isn't the case.

Anyway I'm not here to talk about politics, so I won't anymore.

Oh would you shut up, man?

I wasn't 'rebutting' anything, just stating the realities of US politics as it stands and trying to dissuade this BS that the Democrats are/would be any better than the Republicans.

The D or R next to the name doesn't mean a damned thing, they are all just trying to maintain the establishment and keep the gravy train flowing.

I said I wouldn't talk about politics anymore, but that right there is why every Western country is a mess!

This obsession with how things are perceived over the substance of what they actually are is f**king insane. Who cares about the tone that a politician uses, in the long run their tone doesn't mean a damned thing, the only thing that matters is whether or not they were effective in addressing the problems put before them and how they did it.

When it comes to Covid (or any other aggressive pandemic), the reality is that no matter whom was the president it was going to be impossible for them to be effective in preventing it's spread, because the whole American political system was set up by their founding fathers to stop a single body of the government taking complete control over the system, when to respond to Covid effectively on a national scale you needed the federal government to be given, or take, power over the whole system. There's no way that that power was ever going to be freely given in the US, and god help us all if somebody ever takes it.

BTW, direct exposure to UV light is one of the most effective methods of killing microorganisms, and is effective in killing other coronaviruses such as SARS and MERS.
I'm not absolutely certain as I haven't really looked into it, but I'd be extremely surprised to find out that Covid 19 is resistant to UV light...
This is the best post I've ever seen on League Unlimited.

Got me interested, i even took off ignore just for this one...
Nothing better than U.S politics...
In saying all that, i agree Trump and Biden aren't that different, trump just isnt aswell liked coz of his smug nature, both are puppets tho
South Park summed it up well when they said voting is like choosing between a turd sandwich or a douche.

Pippen94

First Grade
Thought everybody would be lamenting the unlikelihood of expansion but instead find talk of us politics & corona, with somebody reckoning they know how to kill the virus. I'd tell that poster to stick NRL expansion talk but he's not much chop at that.

Anyway, the NRL is dying before our eyes. All summer watching the cricket I've had to hear about afl from commentators. The red afl ball is omnipresent. Every ad break has commercial for women's league or season or just reference the sport. NRL is no where to be seen.
Not growing, now not expanding. Losing the battle to be seen & heard.
All this talk of taking Queensland for granted & rewarding fans with new team was bullshit. Old clubs in the way, sacrificing future of game for own future which doesn't look bright anyway.
Think we need a super league...

The Great Dane

First Grade
Thought everybody would be lamenting the unlikelihood of expansion but instead find talk of us politics & corona, with somebody reckoning they know how to kill the virus. I'd tell that poster to stick NRL expansion talk but he's not much chop at that.

Anyway, the NRL is dying before our eyes. All summer watching the cricket I've had to hear about afl from commentators. The red afl ball is omnipresent. Every ad break has commercial for women's league or season or just reference the sport. NRL is no where to be seen.
All this talk of taking Queensland for granted & rewarding fans with new team was bullshit. Old clubs in the way, sacrificing future of game for own future which doesn't look bright anyway.
'Seven promotes their other sports products during their cricket telecasts, #codeincrisis' has to be in the running for the dumbest thing that's ever been said on this forum.

Perth Red

Post Whore

reality is we lost the battle around 2005 when the game decided to not actively start to reverse the disasters of SL and every administrator since has just kept the stagnation going. We are now so far behind AFl that it would take decades to catch up or them failing badly which there is no signs they will. Be happy with being second biggest footy code, it’s what we will be for the foreseeable future.

mongoose

Coach

"look at me!, look at me!" is the AFL's mantra... probably something wrong with a sport that has to remind everyone it exists every 10 minutes

T-Boon

Coach
To be fair I don't think your average punter would care so long as the NRL team was well run and the club and media weren't constantly suggesting that the club was interested in relocating back to Sydney.

I mean it's not hard for me to imagine a couple of very realistic scenarios in which the Raiders are forced to relocate the club out of Canberra but continue to own and operate it from Canberra/Queanbeyan, not hard at all.

BrisVegas Raiders