What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th Test: Australia v India at Gabba Jan 15-19, 2021

stryker

First Grade
If Amazon Prime is still filming all the behind-the-scenes footage of the Australian dressing room for their upcoming "The Test" documentary series, it will be interesting to see what they filmed of Justin Langer today.
God I hope they did this series and didn’t focus on us arse raping the Kiwis last summer.

Old tiger 79

Juniors
The following are casualties from this disgusting disaster that it is.

Justin Langer
Ronald McDonald & Co

Tim Paine - the worst captain I’ve seen
Mitchell Starc - for now. He’ll come good
Matthew Wade - complete waste of a selection holding back a young bloke getting a series start against a quality bowling attack.
David Warner - Old & passed it

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Justin Langer coming up soon on ABC Grandstand, this will be a peach of an interview to listen to.

tenor.gif

undertaker

Coach
The following are casualties from this disgusting disaster that it is.

Justin Langer
Ronald McDonald & Co

Tim Paine - the worst captain I’ve seen
Mitchell Starc - for now. He’ll come good
Matthew Wade - complete waste of a selection holding back a young bloke getting a series start against a quality bowling attack.
David Warner - Old & passed it

I agree with what you've said, with the exception of the last bit regarding Starc.

Although Starc has an excellent record in the white-ball arena and I'd still keep him for ODIs, at soon to be 31 years of age, it's time to move on from him with the red ball matches. He's been extremely disappointing this series, and Paine's loss of confidence in him was manifest right from the 1st test in Adelaide by only bowling him in very short spells before resting him in favour of allowing Cummins/Hazlewood (who should be the new ball fast bowling partnership in test matches) to bowl for extended periods as the series progressed.

Inflating your statistics against inferior opponents over the past 2 summers in Australia such as Sri Lanka, Pakistan and New Zealand doesn't count in the overall scheme of the bigger picture. The reverse swing he used to get in the past has been nowhere to be seen since Sandpapergate (2 tests earlier in Durban, he got huge amounts of reverse swing fairly early in the innings), and the new COVID restrictions regarding use of saliva on the ball are further nullifying whatever effect he used to have.

This summer, Starc was largely ineffective not just with the old ball, but also with the new ball. You can't waste a new ball spraying it all over the place like a pinball machine. Reminds me of Mitchell Johnson during the 1st test of the 2010/11 Ashes.

Also, one of his so-called strengths of cleaning up the tailenders was brutally exposed this series.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think Starc was alright at the start of the season but like most of the side he cannot reverse negative momentum when teams actually attack us. At the start of the series he took 4/53 and barely bowled second innings Adelaide. 3/78 and 1/20 at Melbourne. Those are ok to good numbers

Maybe we could dish up some pitches that are a bit faster than we are currently giving our bowlers. The issue with Starc is that his days when he bowls tripe he is terrible

Meth

Staff member
Lyon didn’t look too impressed by it, scrunched it up, bad timing I suppose.

meh I thought he looked as appreciative as you can be after losing a milestone test. Good stuff all around

undertaker

Coach
I think Starc was alright at the start of the season but like most of the side he cannot reverse negative momentum when teams actually attack us. At the start of the series he took 4/53 and barely bowled second innings Adelaide. 3/78 and 1/20 at Melbourne. Those are ok to good numbers

Maybe we could dish up some pitches that are a bit faster than we are currently giving our bowlers. The issue with Starc is that his days when he bowls tripe he is terrible

I agree with the pitches.

The last time India played at the Gabba in 2014 (John Hazlewood's test debut) there was more consistent swing, pace and bounce. It was the only test in that 2014/15 series that offered something for the bowlers from day 1 (day 4 is when it became a bowler's paradise, with 15 wickets falling), in huge contrast to the following MCG/ and SCG tests which were absolute roads. Adelaide Oval did nothing until it was scuffed up on day 5, when Lyon was able to rip through India with larger than average amounts of turn.

However, no matter how much pace a pitch offers, it means nothing if you can't land the ball in the right areas, which is what Starc has been doing this series: spraying it around like a pinball. For every one ball he bowls that's on the money, the other 5 in the over are in different parts of the pitch.

Furthermore, you know Starc's in trouble when batsmen comfortably play the straight/off/cover/square drives against him to the boundary with consummate ease. The look of defeat on his face aftewards says it all.

Incorrect

Coach
"We're disappointed but Test Cricket is alive and well" - Good call you deadset space cadet
I heard that interview. He talked about how they'll need to sift through the series and see where they can improve. Talking like he has mortgage on the job.

If this was NRL and a coach oversaw the 3 consecutive losses against an opposition debuting a handful of rookies and basically putting out a NSW/QLD Cup side, the clubs board would be relieving him of his duties post haste!

CA should be acting tonight and bringing in someone new. The current leadership of the team shouldn't be afforded an opportunity to jag a series win in SA and make people think we're good again only to get reamed in the Ashes next summer.

Time to go JL. And take your captain with you.