What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Jane Murray

Bench
Time will tell. Ivan I reckons slightly overated. Some of his signings at the tigers where mind boggling.
His 3 previous stints all ended in losing records at the clubs he was at. Warriors,Panthers,Tigers.
BA has taken his side to the top 4 twice in four years along with a 5th. Far from a great coach. But also not the worse.

Salmon may kill it. I seen all his NRL games. Did nothing wrong but also nothing to stand out. I don't see him making your side. He does have nice footwork I guess.
Arthur tends to recruit a lot of senior players, whereas Ivan prefers the up comers. I take Ivan over Brad any day of the week.

Original Name

Juniors
I look at who was replacing him. Barrett was good at coming up with game plans that suited the 17 we had. May and Aekins would exchange in attack and we were going well so they kept it going. Find a right centre that can get To'o ball and we will see the best in Edwards
Should clarify it would have been 2018. Still to be that ahead of Tedesco in a stat that's one one of Teddy's strengths says a lot. It awhile ago now but I still remember it because of how unassuming Edwards is compared to the heavy weight fullbacks and how ahead of everyone he was at that stage of the season.

Original Name

Juniors
I probably would also.
Still think he is overated at this point.49% winning records isn't great.
When you look at his entire career and look at the teams he poor teams he started with it's clear Ivan spend the vast majority of his career as a rebuilt coach. No coach is going to have a winning record when you have to spend digs digging these teams out of holes.

What happened at the Tigers I'm convinced (and this is an assumption) was Ivan giving contracts to guys who had the same agent as himself to line his pockets and the pockets of his agent because he already had an unofficial agreement to back to Penrith. So he started this stuff about how him and his son want to coach together as father and son to try and get a reason to go back.

Jane Murray

Bench
I probably would also.
Still think he is overated at this point.49% winning records isn't great.
When you look at his entire career and look at the teams he poor teams he started with it's clear Ivan spend the vast majority of his career as a rebuilt coach. No coach is going to have a winning record when you have to spend digs digging these teams out of holes.

What happened at the Tigers I'm convinced (and this is an assumption) was Ivan giving contracts to guys who had the same agent as himself to line his pockets and the pockets of his agent because he already had an unofficial agreement to back to Penrith. So he started this stuff about how him and his son want to coach together as father and son to try and get a reason to go back.
Wow, that is a laughable assumption.

betcats

Referee

How did he line his pockets? He signs Reynolds for example to a big contract and then what? Reynolds or his agent give Ivan some of their earnings? Really? I dont believe that for a second.

Also he was talking about coaching Nathan one day even before he got the the tigers job.

The tigers recruitment has not improved since Ivan left, they take who they can get. Leluia and Roberts are examples of that and even Douhei. The only difference now is they are throwing money at younger guys like Blore, Stefano from Parra, Luarie etc. Thats the one change they have made but that is risky, generally they would be paying overs for those young guys, if they do kick on they are going to want to keep getting upgraded and if they do not kick on well then they are already an issue for their salary cap.

Daine Laurie for example is a great talent and it seems like they will get him this year. But if he has some struggles this year are they going to go out and get a new fb and try and shift Laurie after a year like they have done with Douehi? That kind of recruiting will get them into salary cap trouble for sure.

Jane Murray

Bench
Blade, I know that you're recovering, if you're up to replying, please, do, when will the re-signing announcements be made?

maple_69

Bench
I’m still hoping they are just aiming to drop the news all at once as soon as they’ve put the last piece in the puzzle, like Melbourne seems to do.

Luai, Yeo, Crichton, Ava and Cini all at once. Laurie released.

I could also see them announcing Yeo’s resigning separately and packaging it with his captaincy announcement.

BxTom

Bench
I'm pretty sure that they will time the announcements as the trials and season proper get closer just to build excitement and hopefully drive membership up.

Sime_11

Juniors
i drove past the stadium (Paceway/Kmart end) and saw the 2021 fixtures (unsure how long they've been there) - but seeing Luai and Yeo either side of the fixtures had my heart racing thinking the Social Media team could casually drop this photo online, advising that Luai/Yeo have extended :p

make it happen !!!

betcats

Referee
The team is heading back from that camp today so maybe we will hear something tomorrow. Probably a bit awkward to release Laurie mid camp.