What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You seem to be confused.

He is being whingy whiny about not having a new contract even though he has a year to go on his existing one and a new coaching regime has just taken up its position.

If he does what I suggested in my reply to BL MO1 then it will all happen in due course.

Sooky press releases will do nothing to help his cause.

If the the new staff want him to be mature and provide input to the leadership group
then IMO of what he said about the contract as quoted in the article isn’t getting off on the right foot.
Firstly, it’s a club sanctioned interview, not a press release.

But even then I really can’t see how that article is seen as him being whiny.

He’s talking about how refreshing the coaching change is, wanting to make the top 4 & how he’s more interested in feeling wanted than big money.

He also stated he hopes discussions start soon and that his preference is to stay..

If you’re reading that as him having a whinge, then that’s a very negative view to have..

Old Timer

Coach
Firstly, it’s a club sanctioned interview, not a press release.

But even then I really can’t see how that article is seen as him being whiny.

He’s talking about how refreshing the coaching change is, wanting to make the top 4 & how he’s more interested in feeling wanted than big money.

He also stated he hopes discussions start soon and that his preference is to stay..

If you’re reading that as him having a whinge, then that’s a very negative view to have..
He has introduced negatives into his "media release" and that is never a good thing and it sounds sooky to me.

Oooh I haven't got a contract yet, oooh I've given a lot to the dragons, oooh I could have gone last year FMD just play footy, catch the bombs, make the tackles, light up the field and leave the rest to your manager.

I noted in a previous post that you said that something about the number of tries scored on the right hand edge and forgot to ask you does Dufty only have to make tackles on the LH edge or something?

I didn't know FB's could actually choose a side to defend on I thought they had to defend the entire line whenever possible.

denis preston

First Grade
  1. There have been big changes at the club and we are all getting used to the new coaching staff and they are getting used to the players new and old so not just me but many players are waiting to have their contracts reviewed and I will leave that up to my manager. Meanwhile I’ll keep training hard and listening to what the new coaching staff want and try my hardest to deliver on the things they need me to do. If I can do that then I’m sure then the contract will look after itself.
  2. Re your “BTW” I suggest you read read my post as I never said that. I said his “quoted statement” IMO “sounded like he believed” In my world if you are whinging (which is what he sounded like to me) about something then you are not happy and that can mean that you think you deserved something more/better/different/special
OT how long did it take to compose this ? Dufty would have had none so a bit hard on him i think. Good to see him baulk up as that should give him confidence to take on what's ahead of him. If Hook can improve his defence & organisation skills he will be a shoe in for another contract. Taking up a super league offer will always be his default position. It's up to him but if he has a breakout year his contract will double so watch for the Dragons to make a mid year upgrade to save bucks !

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
He has introduced negatives into his "media release" and that is never a good thing and it sounds sooky to me.

Oooh I haven't got a contract yet, oooh I've given a lot to the dragons, oooh I could have gone last year FMD just play footy, catch the bombs, make the tackles, light up the field and leave the rest to your manager.

I noted in a previous post that you said that something about the number of tries scored on the right hand edge and forgot to ask you does Dufty only have to make tackles on the LH edge or something?

I didn't know FB's could actually choose a side to defend on I thought they had to defend the entire line whenever possible.
If that’s how you viewed that article, you should probably have a cup of rainbows & sunshine for morning tea.

Have a great day OT, sounds like you could do with a happy one

Old Timer

Coach
If that’s how you viewed that article, you should probably have a cup of rainbows & sunshine for morning tea.

Have a great day OT, sounds like you could do with a happy one
I suggest you don't visit the Dufty thread in the other place then.

You'd need a lot more than a cup of rainbows and sunshine to help your day.

You'd end up in the foetal position at the prospect that some might hold a similar position to mine re Dufty's comments.

Old Timer

Coach
OT how long did it take to compose this ? Dufty would have had none so a bit hard on him i think. Good to see him baulk up as that should give him confidence to take on what's ahead of him. If Hook can improve his defence & organisation skills he will be a shoe in for another contract. Taking up a super league offer will always be his default position. It's up to him but if he has a breakout year his contract will double so watch for the Dragons to make a mid year upgrade to save bucks !
It took me about 1 second to know which way a response should be to such a question.

Dufty's not particularly smart but in all honesty DP it is not hard to be diplomatic and knowing where your bread is buttered.

If you can't do that then simply say "all things in relation to my contract sit with my manager" I'm here to play footy and learn what the new coaching staff require from me and happy to answer any questions about that.

Gareth67

First Grade
I really believe that should the Duff play the footy that he is capable of , then he will undoubtedly receive an extension before mid season .

I am just as sure that Griffin will bring his game to a new level - as well as the rest of the squad. The only players who will miss the boat as far as not being resigned are the ones whom are not putting in a 100% effort or simply do not possess the required skill set .

BLM01

First Grade
  1. There have been big changes at the club and we are all getting used to the new coaching staff and they are getting used to the players new and old so not just me but many players are waiting to have their contracts reviewed and I will leave that up to my manager. Meanwhile I’ll keep training hard and listening to what the new coaching staff want and try my hardest to deliver on the things they need me to do. If I can do that then I’m sure then the contract will look after itself.
  2. Re your “BTW” I suggest you read read my post as I never said that. I said his “quoted statement” IMO “sounded like he believed” In my world if you are whinging (which is what he sounded like to me) about something then you are not happy and that can mean that you think you deserved something more/better/different/special
That’s funny different interpretations
I didn’t hear any whining as such only heard carefully selected words to answer the questions asked and maybe a bit if reality of how he feels

but look that’s life and communication for you everyone interprets things differently

Don’t forget a lot of these players have managers who put a lot of stuff if they believe it’s worthy in their heads, propping them up to be something possibly more than they’re not, how they act, respond, spend time and money etc

it ain’t easy out there in the coal face in front of the cameras and microphone regardless how much media training they get

possm

Coach
Two players have complained about not having an offer put to them for the period beyond 2021; Dufty and McInnes. All a player needs to do his perform well on the field either at trainng or during a match. The rest will take care of itself and no amount of winging will change a thing.

When it comes to Dufty it is easy, Dufty will be offered a contract if Griffin believes he is our best solution for fullback. If he leaves there is Ramsey who can take is place at the back and Sloan and Schiller who are waiting in the wings. Plenty of depth for the fullback position but little first grade experience if Dufty leaves.

McInnes is another matter and we all would understand things better if we knew the full story. But in short McInnes is on the market at a good time at the moment. A few clubs looking for a hooker and not much competition. If McInnes decides to leave,
I would rather we go for B Smith than McCullough.

B Smith younger and more versatile and I think he would inspire our forward pack. He would also be happy to play hooker, right edge forward and lock and do well in all three positions.

getsmarty

Immortal
49927498sims-200717_gt_044.jpg

MEDIA RELEASE

NRL & RLPA secure future of players and clubs
Author
NRL Media Release NRL Media
Timestamp
Tue 19 Jan 2021, 02:03 PM
Share on social media
The National Rugby League (NRL) and the Rugby League Players' Association (RLPA) have agreed to a revised CBA which will secure the long-term sustainability of players, clubs and the game.

Players have agreed to a 6 per cent reduction in the salary cap for 2021 and 2022. However, unlike other sports, the revised CBA deal ensures job security for players with every club to retain a Top 30 squad, plus a minimum of three development list players.

The NRL Telstra Premiership salary cap in 2021 will be $9.02 million and $9.11 million in 2022. State of Origin match payments will be set at $15,000 for 2021 and 2022.

Other significant reductions to player benefits and entitlements under the CBA will also take effect as part of the revisions.

The NRL, RLPA and Clubs have also committed to collaborate on a number of key projects this year, including a review of the player contracting system, ensuring the game continues to listen to its fans and corporate partners.

NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo thanked the players and the leadership of the RLPA for their commitment and sacrifice to the NRL, its clubs and our fans.

"2020 proved when we do things together, we get a better outcome for everyone. Today is another example of that,'' he said.

"I want to thank the players for the professionalism, discipline and sacrifices they have made - not only to ensure the 2020 season proceeded but so the game can remain sustainable long term. I also want to thank Clint Newton for the leadership he has shown in securing a deal that provides security for his players, the game and our joint stakeholders.

"The deal is a fair reflection of the value the players bring to our game and the sacrifices they are prepared to make to ensure we remain strong in the years ahead."

Mr Abdo also acknowledged the leadership of the Commission and the contribution of the Clubs in ensuring a deal was struck in difficult circumstances.

"I would like to acknowledge the role the Commission, and in particular our Chairman Peter V'landys, in balancing the competing interests of the game to ensure a fair deal was achieved for the players. I also acknowledge the contribution of the Club working group and in particular Blake Solly and Brian Fletcher, for their role in closing out a deal that impacts multiple stakeholders."

RLPA Chief Executive Clint Newton said the players understand reductions needed to be made following the impact of COVID-19 across the industry.

"The leadership and resolve of our members during this period of great uncertainty is something that we should all be incredibly proud of," Newton said.

"This revised agreement is another example of the leadership and maturity shown during such a difficult period in our game's history.

"When you consider the finite career of a rugby league player, which is not guaranteed to be longer than their next game, we have an important role in ensuring what we negotiate on their behalf is fair and reasonable.

"By prioritising trust, transparency, and honesty during this process, we have been able to reach an agreement that we believe strikes the right balance between protecting our members and ensuring the overall health of the game.

"I want to thank our playing group for the maturity and leadership they have shown during this period, our player leaders, directors and the RLPA team for their unwavering commitment as we worked through securing this outcome, as well as Andrew, Peter and the Club representatives for their work in getting to this point."

RLPA Director and Cronulla Sharks captain, Wade Graham, said players understand their responsibility to share in the decreased revenue.

"We understand the significant impact that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on our game," Graham said.

"To help the game recover we believe it's fair that we share in that and play our part by agreeing reasonable reductions to our payments and benefits.

"I'd like to thank Clint and the RLPA team for the thorough process they have worked through in ensuring players are protected and respected in these negotiations.

"I'd also like to acknowledge my fellow players, we've continued to adapt and overcome the various challenges thrown our way during this period, which is something everyone connected to the game should all be proud of."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/01/19/nrl--rlpa-secure-future-of-players-and-clubs/

possm

Coach
Makes no difference to the club
All players cop the 6% to stay in line with salary cap.
The only dollar change is what clubs have not spent yet is now 6% less.
So are you saying that players take an immediate 6% pay cut and clubs have there unspent salary cap balance cut by 6%.

Does this work out even for all clubs or do the clubs that have not spent there entire cap as yet, get penalized more than clubs that have spent all their cap?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So are you saying that players take an immediate 6% pay cut and clubs have there unspent salary cap balance cut by 6%.
Yes, that is how it works.

Does this work out even for all clubs or do the clubs that have not spent there entire cap as yet, get penalized more than clubs that have spent all their cap?
No, that’s not how it works.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It must be a bit harsh for some players though..

Ben Hunt loses $60k whilst Tedesco loses $12k..

Gareth67

First Grade
[QUOTE="Dragonslayer, post: 14511211, member: 46088"]

Now the salary cap has been set at 9.06m a few clubs will have a serious issue staying under.

Let the blood-letting begin!!!
We, for once are in a good position.

" UNDER THE CAP, NO WORRIES, EASY AS ........... NEXT!"
View attachment 45309[/QUOTE]

A5DB0379-90F7-478B-B60C-1CA9692D76CA.jpeg

“ Yikes ! Thats the bloke who use to recommend which players I should sign for the Dragons. He is a really nice fella . “

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Very interesting and enlightening comments by our CEO with regards to recruitement and retention.

27 current players (including DeBelin), from his comments the young prop from QLD looks likely to he added (assumption of course). More importantly, the term "movement" used rather than "recruitement" or "retention". Could it be some juniors added to the squad? (I'm thinking Amone and Sloan), maybe some added to the DS.

Another part of the piece was "List management is not always easy as personalities and emotions can often come into play, but coach Anthony Griffin has been very clear on what is required to be successful and we are doing all we can to build the squad he needs to achieve this." You wonder to who he is referring to here!

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Very interesting and enlightening comments by our CEO with regards to recruitement and retention.

27 current players (including DeBelin), from his comments the young prop from QLD looks likely to he added (assumption of course). More importantly, the term "movement" used rather than "recruitement" or "retention". Could it be some juniors added to the squad? (I'm thinking Amone and Sloan), maybe some added to the DS.

Another part of the piece was "List management is not always easy as personalities and emotions can often come into play, but coach Anthony Griffin has been very clear on what is required to be successful and we are doing all we can to build the squad he needs to achieve this." You wonder to who he is referring to here!

Possibly ..................
upload_2021-1-20_18-0-14.png

Latest posts