What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Kilkenny

Coach
I’d do a backflip for Moma, but happy with Cini, he will be a good project for the Coach’s to develop

Do you really think he is that good?

Given he is signed to the Tigers until 2022 we’d have to take his whole contract I assume.

Seems more solid than strike player but as I say I can’t say I ever really watched him closely in his limited NRL appearances.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Do you really think he is that good?

Given he is signed to the Tigers until 2022 we’d have to take his whole contract I assume.

Seems more solid than strike player but as I say I can’t say I ever really watched him closely in his limited NRL appearances.

look, he’s not Katoni Staggs or Stephen Crichton, but he’s got a lot of potential.

I’d still have Nado ahead of him.

murraymob

Coach
Given the reduction in the cap and the pending upgrades .i am thinking we are more in line for a Cini than the other guy

Kilkenny

Coach
look, he’s not Katoni Staggs or Stephen Crichton, but he’s got a lot of potential.

I’d still have Nado ahead of him.

As i say I’ve never really watched him. My main memory was him missing a conversation from the sideline after full time which would have won the West’s Tiger's a game. Happens to the best.

Kilkenny

Coach
The cap restrictions just mean every player loses 6%

How does it play out?

Is everyone’s contract deducted by the 6%.

Does each player have to agree to his signed contract by being reduced by such an amount?

Just curious as to whether this has been confirmed as fact.

I’m sure it is the case given it would appear to having been signed off by the players own association.

Kilkenny

Coach
Yep sweet f**k all

Probably won’t hurt Nathan too much I guess. Don’t know what he earns but if he is on say $800k a drop to $752K is probably not to much to cop I guess. Good luck to the top players in the game, it is seriously good money if you can be at his level for 10 years or so. Invested wisely with a good manager, set up for life.

franklin2323

Immortal
How does it play out?

Is everyone’s contract deducted by the 6%.

Does each player have to agree to his signed contract by being reduced by such an amount?

Just curious as to whether this has been confirmed as fact.

I’m sure it is the case given it would appear to having been signed off by the players own association.

Yeah there were still doubt as to whether smaller squads were better. 30 man squads allows 32 extra players to have a job and those at the top get the haircut too

Alintheeast

Juniors
It was nice to see the minimum paid and most development guys won’t be affected. The reduction works out to a net 3% for players assuming that the club is up to maximum salary cap. Wonder if coaches going to take a cut in pay. Player Managers won’t be happy with new arrangements.

Jane Murray

Bench
It was nice to see the minimum paid and most development guys won’t be affected. The reduction works out to a net 3% for players assuming that the club is up to maximum salary cap. Wonder if coaches going to take a cut in pay. Player Managers won’t be happy with new arrangements.
One would like to think that they will be grateful to be employed.

Original Name

Juniors
How did he line his pockets? He signs Reynolds for example to a big contract and then what? Reynolds or his agent give Ivan some of their earnings? Really? I dont believe that for a second.
There a post r/nrl to a site about which agents had which players and coaches and every guy ridiculous contract he signed on big money had the same agent as Ivan himself. When you look at the typical guys Ivan likes to sign Maloney (Warriros), Matterson (Tigers), Capewell/Tetevano. Underrated at the time guys on the cheap. Signing these type of guys was how he got a good rep as rebuild coach.

These splurge signings of players who were average when they signed on huge money (beside Reynolds) were uncharacteristic of what he's done his whole coaching career. So something being unusual with those signing makes sense considering how out of character it was for him.

snickers007

Juniors
There a post r/nrl to a site about which agents had which players and coaches and every guy ridiculous contract he signed on big money had the same agent as Ivan himself. When you look at the typical guys Ivan likes to sign Maloney (Warriros), Matterson (Tigers), Capewell/Tetevano. Underrated at the time guys on the cheap. Signing these type of guys was how he got a good rep as rebuild coach.

These splurge signings of players who were average when they signed on huge money (beside Reynolds) were uncharacteristic of what he's done his whole coaching career. So something being unusual with those signing makes sense considering how out of character it was for him.

Could also be symptomatic of how players view the Tigers as a club, that they won't go there unless for big dollars.

People forget that we had to do the same thing when Ivan first came to Penrith. Brent Kite, Sika Manu, Lewis Brown - all guys getting on, that we paid overs to get. We got lucky in that they did their job on and off field.

Tigers could have been going for a similar plan.

betcats

Referee

The broncos had like half their squad all signed to one manager maybe more at one point, it happens. I know a lot of shenanigans happen with managers insisting clubs sign their payers but do you actually players or managers gave some of their money to Ivan for signing them? No offence but it is ridiculous, brown bags going from players to the coach.

franklin2323

Immortal
I blame the front office for those crazy Tigers contracts

BUT when you break it down. You have to pay overs to get good players are rubbish clubs. Injuries made them look worse than they were

Reynolds was an SOO half
Matulino at one stage was the best prop in the game
Packer was a test player

martielang

Bench
I don’t think what @Original Name is saying is that far fetched. I don’t think Ivan would of got a brief case full of cash but it all does seem a little coincidental. Wouldn’t be surprised if there was an added benefit for him, not to say that was the sole reason for buying them.

betcats

Referee
I don’t think what @Original Name is saying is that far fetched. I don’t think Ivan would of got a brief case full of cash but it all does seem a little coincidental. Wouldn’t be surprised if there was an added benefit for him, not to say that was the sole reason for buying them.

How would he get any financial benefit?

betcats

Referee
You guys are acting like what happened at the tigers under Ivan is unheard of when in fact it happens all the time, not just the manager connection but also the poor cap management and bad contracts. Look at the dogs under Des, knights under Wayne, broncos under Wayne.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
You guys are acting like what happened at the tigers under Ivan is unheard of when in fact it happens all the time, not just the manager connection but also the poor cap management and bad contracts. Look at the dogs under Des, knights under Wayne, broncos under Wayne.

exactly, and it’s not like Ivan signed shit players, they just failed to perform and were signed to very long contracts.

betcats

Referee
exactly, and it’s not like Ivan signed shit players, they just failed to perform and were signed to very long contracts.

I'd say he was definitely signing players thinking about the short term rather than trying to balance it out between the teams short term and long term needs. I think the management and the fans wanted immediate improvement and so they signed all these players. I mean its not rocket science. No doubt managers would have played their games and tried to take advantage of the situation but to suggest he signed players to "line his pockets" is a pretty serious allegation based on circumstances that are common in the NRL.