What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I am just wondering how long it will take the side to become operational under real time game conditions?

That moment where it all makes sense and they understand and perform as a unit.

They are coming from behind with years of failure and frustration to overcome, but the raw material is still there isn’t it?

I’m thinking round 4 or 5 before you see the footy hooks aspires to on a full run. Anything earlier is a solid bonus.

And I suppose everyone recalls the Injury tally in recent pre seasons? I wonder what his go will be there? No big names surely, but he needs to see them in action too under his ideas. Damned either way.

Some big decisions early on for Hook and his club backers.

Time for Hunt to shut up and earn half his outrageous salary package.

Rumours won’t quieten down that McInness wants out. More journalists partying with Naden probably.
Maybe, I guess it depends on how he goes about rolling out the new style. I would imagine simplifying the game plan would be an easier transition than over complicating it with elaborate set plays that fool no one. I would think they will focus heavily on defence, fitness and playing hard and fast first up, hopefully with an improved kicking game. Hopefully they are at least competitive and win a couple of their first few. Sharks straight up is a must win for me.

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Maybe, I guess it depends on how he goes about rolling out the new style. I would imagine simplifying the game plan would be an easier transition than over complicating it with elaborate set plays that fool no one. I would think they will focus heavily on defence, fitness and playing hard and fast first up, hopefully with an improved kicking game. Hopefully they are at least competitive and win a couple of their first few. Sharks straight up is a must win for me.

True that, FCD.
A win first up would certainly settle the nerves.

possm

Coach
Hard stomach a loss to the gummies though.
I can tell you one thing both Griffin and the Dragons fans will not stomach a brittle last line of defence and/or ineffective taking of the high ball during the game against the Sharks. However, if there is stong last line defence and the high ball is taken confidently, Dufty will be on his way to receiving a contract extension.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Yes. But you could stomach an honourable loss if the side plays well.
There is no honour in loss.

I propose a rotating captain system, where someone is appointed captain and remains captain until a loss.

At which point the captain must ceremonially hand back his jersey at the press conference & resign himself to playing Canterbury cup, until either injury or the next losing captain provides an opportunity to return to first grade..

But not as captain..

This approach will drive accountability, pride and focus amongst whoever is the captain.

Crush

Coach
There is no honour in loss.

I propose a rotating captain system, where someone is appointed captain and remains captain until a loss.

At which point the captain must ceremonially hand back his jersey at the press conference & resign himself to playing Canterbury cup, until either injury or the next losing captain provides an opportunity to return to first grade..

But not as captain..

This approach will drive accountability, pride and focus amongst whoever is the captain.
Imagine it.
"Who we playing this weekend?"
"Storm"
"Bags not captain!"

I was just thinking that Duffy should get Mary to ring to club, put a sock over his mouth and pretend to be Donald from the Dumfries Ducks.

Certainly bj fell for it to secure Mary, maybe Webby will panic too.

Actually where are all these clubs chasing Mary?! Where the did he end up and more importantly has he been sacked from his new job yet?

possm

Coach
I was just thinking that Duffy should get Mary to ring to club, put a sock over his mouth and pretend to be Donald from the Dumfries Ducks.

Certainly bj fell for it to secure Mary, maybe Webby will panic too.

Actually where are all these clubs chasing Mary?! Where the did he end up and more importantly has he been sacked from his new job yet?
In a recent article and reported on the Dragons website, Duty said that he needs to improve on the 'little things' like becoming more involved in the attack by antipating breaks and backing up play makers. I'd say this is the least of the things he needs to worry about.

I wonder how is filly Dufty's head with all this stuff. Everyone know he needs to drastically improve his defence, confidently take the high ball and bring it back with gusto and better read the opposition's attacking play in order to address his own positon in defence.

These are major issues that have a big influence on the outcome of each game. These are the issues that might rob him of selection at fullback in first grade and possibly lose an extension of his current contract.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Don’t want to say I told you so, but...,,

NO ONE OWNS’ NO.1 JERSEY AT DRAGONS

Much of the talk surrounding the Dragons’ line-up has been about the halves combination. Will Ben Hunt reclaim the No.7 jersey? Will Corey Norman partner him? Or will Adam Clune? Anthony Griffin didn’t give much away other than no player is safe — everyone must earn their spot — when he spoke to The Daily Telegraph.

However, Griffin did drop an interesting bit of information. Livewire fullback Matt Dufty has got genuine pressure from young gun and last year’s NRL Nines sensation Cody Ramsey.

When asked about whether Dufty will own the No.1 jersey or if there’s anyone else in the mix, Griffin mentioned Ramsey and said “no one owns the spot.”

Take it as you will but Dufty acknowledged the pressure when he spoke to reporters on Monday.

“I’ve been there and done that (pushing senior players for spots) so it’s really good to be on the other end and seeing them pushing me,” he said.

You’d expect after a strong season Dufty will get first crack at fullback and the 25-year-old plans to take his game to the next level by focusing on the “little things.”

“Pushing off the ball, trying to get a bit more touches... The way the game’s going I can’t miss those jumps if Cam (McInnes) takes off or one of the halves make a half-break, I have to be there to capitalise,” he said.

“It’s little things like that, I don’t think it’s the big plays, it’s more the little ones. Getting the numbers right, bringing that total game consistency.”

Maddragon99

Juniors
I think Dufty & Ramsey will get a half each in the charity shield. But It’s still Dufty’s jersey to lose

The last few years of Marys reign was littered with half arsed statements from players talking themselves up or saying they must do better.

Graham, Vaughn, Hunt and Duffy etc.

All nonsense and leading up to false expectations. Hook is right to put everyone’s feet into the fire.

Not being mischievous, but you have the unwanted mantle or reputation in the whole of the game at the moment, as rank outsiders and underdogs and no one is expecting any miracles. You are going to have to lift up a few levels to get into the mix. Tigers are in the same troubling mess for different causes.

But the last thing anyone wants is bullshit or anyone being precious in the media. I don’t want it from our ugly lot and you guys don’t need it either.

Hook has been brought in to improve things and he’s prepared to hurt people along the way. He didn’t care less about the politics at Penrith and he’s not about to bow down to Duffy or Hunt et al.

The flip flopping psycho corporate babbling coach is gone. That some of your players still carry on like he is in charge is tragic.

f**k you Duffy, Hook doesn’t care about your feelings, only how you train and play.

Hook is quieter because he likes to think. Rare commodity in this world.

Last edited:
Hey Silverdale. Love your posts mate. But are you a Tigs fan? If so props to you. I cbf posting in the Tigs forum.

btw I agree with most of what you say

Thanks Emperor, much appreciated.

Got belted up once too many times on the wt forum. People having problems.

Sgi have a lot of stuff to get through, one of the more interesting clubs. I’m very supportive of their fans but not their leadership. buts it’s changing its ways and that’s for the good.

possm

Coach
Thanks Emperor, much appreciated.

Got belted up once too many times on the wt forum. People having problems.

Sgi have a lot of stuff to get through, one of the more interesting clubs. I’m very supportive of their fans but not their leadership. buts it’s changing its ways and that’s for the good.
I'd say that SGI have made significant changes in 2020 and am sure that over the next few years SGI will make more changes. The appointment of a new CEO, some new football staff, restructure of the football department and a BOD that is willing to positively look at recommendations make by the CEO, is more than most fans were dreaming of.

I see the next changes will involve the retirement of some Board Members and the full access to third party support from entities whishing to further SGI's progress up the competition ladder.

I also expect some Board members to vacate their position and be replaced by professional men/women who can add to the standard of the operation of the Board.

I'd say that SGI have made significant changes in 2020 and am sure that over the next few years SGI will make more changes. The appointment of a new CEO, some new football staff, restructure of the football department and a BOD that is willing to positively look at recommendations make by the CEO, is more than most fans were dreaming of.

I see the next changes will involve the retirement of some Board Members and the full access to third party support from entities whishing to further SGI's progress up the competition ladder.

I also expect some Board members to vacate their position and be replaced by professional men/women who can add to the standard of the operation of the Board.

Another good post, any insight on Tigers would be welcome.

Sweeping changes need to be made to the bod. They are the worst in the game.

The blessing of the re-signing of Mary on the basis of a rumour that the eels were after him reveals how ridiculous it became. If it was true, that’s every reason not to go with it, because the eels aren’t exactly heavy weights in success.

The outrageous treatment of dissenters, the spin and the rest of it, they have shown very little insight or care of the common fan.

That his job was safe and they gave him full support at the first crisis meeting last year shows they aren’t up to it. They simply had no choice by the second meeting.

The Gordon’s constant slap on the back for the rubbish going on, went on for years, they should leave gracefully. If they want to help, get their fingers out of the pie and donate cash the experts at club can use. It’s a footy club not a media show.

Sack Millward and hire the storms recruiter now.

And if I was Webby, I’d be greeting fans at the gate and saying hi and asking them to become members. Show some care and love for you lot.

The blessing of the re-signing of Mary on the basis of a rumour that the eels were after him reveals how ridiculous it became. If it was true, that’s every reason not to go with it, because the eels aren’t exactly heavy weights in success.

The outrageous treatment of dissenters, the spin and the rest of it, they have shown very little insight or care of the common fan.

That his job was safe and they gave him full support at the first crisis meeting last year shows they aren’t up to it. They simply had no choice by the second meeting.

The Gordon’s constant slap on the back for the rubbish going on, went on for years, they should leave gracefully. If they want to help, get their fingers out of the pie and donate cash the experts at club can use. It’s a footy club not a media show.

And if I was Webby, I’d be greeting fans at the gate and saying hi and asking them to become members. Show some care and love for you lot.
I wish I knew as much about the tigs as you know about the dragons. Then I’d know why they let Teddy and Mitch leave.

Gareth67

First Grade

Quite sure that the maestro floated that rumor himself Silverdale .:no_mouth: