What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test Series V. India; Post Mortem

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Hate to say it but Chappelli was right.

The bowling didn't trouble India, too many short deliveries, no real variation.

Its quite concerning in the last couple of years we've been at the other end of record chases, unable to finish the job, trying too much

As for the batting well, its like they rely heavy on certain players, Smith, Warner and Marnus, another area I'm concerned about and have been for a while particularly the last time India was out here. If those 3 fail, then the rest dont seem to put their hand up, take charge and help Australia get a good total, I mean it seems the lower order lately are making the middle order look ordinary.

I saw an article recently about potential batsmen that could come into the team and looking at the list, I simply shook my head. They named blokes who are good at T20 but its a question of how would they go at test level, blokes like Short, Phillipe, Inglis, McDermott. Then you have guys have played test and no-one wants back, Khawaja and Marsh (god help us if we have to go back to Marsh).

Seems like an age when we had blokes banging on the door of test cricket, averaging 50 at first class and couldnt get a go because of the blokes in front of them.

8Ball

First Grade
Khawaja should be in the team. Averages 40 in test cricket, and looks like he actually belongs there. Wade seems like a sideshow for comic relief.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I presume Renshaw's cards are marked?

Hes only just got back into FC cricket. I assume they will have him back if he scores well enough for Queensland. They expect young cricketers to be pretty up and down.

Hes been batting in the middle order for Queensland this year. His scores are

48, 8, 42, 168*, 10*

So he is finding some form. If he keeps it up he will be back into contention imo

BunniesMan

Immortal
Seems like an age when we had blokes banging on the door of test cricket, averaging 50 at first class and couldnt get a go because of the blokes in front of them.
Lehmann averaged 57 at first class level and only played 27 tests where he averaged 45 and still couldn't be a long term player. If his parents waited 10 years to have him he'd have been a 120 test player. Blewett, Elliott, Love, Hodge and so many more. All players who would be regulars in any team since the glory days.

JJ

Immortal
Trying to figure out whether the better analogy for this series was the 2001 Grand Final, or the 1995 Origin series...

thinking the latter, but you Eels fans might weigh in :wink:

billygilmore

Juniors
Perhaps we just aren't as good at cricket as we think we are and a country of a billion people are starting to really reap the benefits of having every kid for the last 30yrs want to grow up and be just like Sachin Tendulkar

India are investing in coaching too. It’s no coincidence that many if not most of the turn of the century Golden Boys are coaching more India than in Australia.

Hell, McGrath was over there during the SCG Test.
Same as swimming and tennis - our best coach others. Even Don Talbot coached the US for years before returning to Australia in the 90s to head our successful swim team.

Cricket recognised a few years back they needed participation...ergo easier smaller formats for young kids.

Investment and development...we’ll look at the women’s game ... it’s blooming.

Latest posts