What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

rasaint

Juniors
Hey Lynx000 yes understand your pain with Jack. I agree with you it’s better to not lash out at former clubs. After all what could the Broncs do? I’m sure they cared and wanted success with a guy who is top level when fit.

In my opinion Jack has enormous ability and was that last important piece of the puzzle for the Sharkies to win a premiership in 2016. In that year he was incredible during the second half of the season. I can understand the Broncs paying the huge $$$. Wayne B certainly highly rated him.

ACLs are a curse. Teddy is one guy who managed to return after one and rose to the highest levels. Yet others just seem to be compromised and it strikes again. Kyle Stanley was the real deal but had 3 ACLs. Dragons had one of Ted Goodwin’s sons playing some years back and get hit by two ACLs. Also reinjury seems to occur just changing direction with running etc. I hope Jack becomes one of those minority who overcome multiple ACLs... but real hopeful signing by us.

when you think of it Cam Smith gave tremendous value to Melbourne. Yes on huge $$$ but what well over a decade hardly ever missed a game yet not a big guy. on a ‘ dollar per game basis’ exceptional value.

I think Broncos will go much better this year

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Thank you for being fair.

17 games in 3 seasons at reportedly 900K plus, plus he came to us damaged from the Sharks and we rehabbed him through that and then through 2 knee ops. Oh and out of those 17 games, probably 3 were good and no more than 7 were average. Then knowing he wants to head back to Sydney he takes up his player option and then agitates to get a release.

He is actually being a shit merkin taking pot shots at the club in those circumstances. If he can ever get on the field he is a good player and he brings a bit of mongrel, I was prepared to wish him all the best, but after his constant snipes at us since he left he can get stuffed.

You want to talk about being fair?
With all due respect, please do not insult me my friend, for we are the Dragons.

We had an imposter masquerading as an nrl 1st grade coach for eight years and they upgraded his contract to a squillion dollars a year, for fear of losing him!

Bird may have been injured but surely he played a decent game or two in his time for you guys.
McGregor couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag!

Anyway, that's all water under the bridge now and being that l'm just down the road on the Coast, best wishes for next season ( except when you play us ), neighbour.

lynx000

Juniors
You want to talk about being fair?
With all due respect, please do not insult me my friend, for we are the Dragons.

We had an imposter masquerading as an nrl 1st grade coach for eight years and they upgraded his contract to a squillion dollars a year, for fear of losing him!

Bird may have been injured but surely he played a decent game or two in his time for you guys.
McGregor couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag!

Anyway, that's all water under the bridge now and being that l'm just down the road on the Coast, best wishes for next season ( except when you play us ), neighbour.
Mate back at you. We did not suffer anywhere near as long as you guys did with Mary, but Seibold has certainly burned us down to the ground with the help of our idiot adminsitration.

I hope Hook and the new coaching group (Peter Gentle seems like a top bloke) are able to turn your fortunes around. A competitive Saints team is good for the league.

goldiesaintz

Juniors
For what’s its worth I had a knee reconstruction and did my physio running as I still do on the soft sand in bare feet. When the surgeon last looked in there he was amazed at how it had recovered, so that’s my tip to rebuild strength in a knee.

Well done, Hewi.
I know what you've been through.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
He should concentrate on us not worry about what the Broncos didn't do.

Couldn't agree more- unlike Anthony Mundine, at least he didn't play the race card and blame people's attitude towards him on his aboriginality. But accusing a club and its medical and support staff of not doing their job is not just irrational, it is also disrespectful and poor form.

I was strongly opposed to this guy's signing on medical grounds- now the warning bells are sounding about his attitude as well. I seem to remember earlier in his career, maybe when he was playing with the Sharks, that he was trying to dictate to the coach where he wanted to play. I remember thinking that this guy has got some hide- at his tender age when he had achieved nothing- and he expects the team to fit in around him.

possm

Coach
Couldn't agree more- unlike Anthony Mundine, at least he didn't play the race card and blame people's attitude towards him on his aboriginality. But accusing a club and its medical and support staff of not doing their job is not just irrational, it is also disrespectful and poor form.

I was strongly opposed to this guy's signing on medical grounds- now the warning bells are sounding about his attitude as well. I seem to remember earlier in his career, maybe when he was playing with the Sharks, that he was trying to dictate to the coach where he wanted to play. I remember thinking that this guy has got some hide- at his tender age when he had achieved nothing- and he expects the team to fit in around him.
I'd like to see a rule where the club would vet and clear player's media statements prior to them being released. Some players just do not see the whole picture and so, some times just talk as their belly guides them rather than keep some things to themselves.

Reactions: jak

BLM01

First Grade
I'd like to see a rule where the club would vet and clear player's media statements prior to them being released. Some players just do not see the whole picture and so, some times just talk as their belly guides them rather than keep some things to themselves.
Problem is @possm It is hard enough to get players to speak their mind instead of using prepared statements and cliches given to them by club media departments.
You bet everything that they say you won’t get them at all to talk to the media and when forced to how boring would that be. Actually most interviews already are boring with dumb numb questioning.
Don’t forget the media force negative stuff out of them by honing questions in on irrelevant things just to get a bite and a story
I don’t mind any player at our club speaking ill of our previous coaching regime

He....
I think he wanted to play halves. and got his way...but that was more because we didn't really have halves. nu brown..jeff robson etc
and he won rookie of the year.
but then we signed jimmy and shoved him in the centres.

I would say he's VERY immature. even now.

Maddragon99

Juniors
He....
I think he wanted to play halves. and got his way...but that was more because we didn't really have halves. nu brown..jeff robson etc
and he won rookie of the year.
but then we signed jimmy and shoved him in the centres.

I would say he's VERY immature. even now.

From all reports Jack has been doing all the right things & his knee is rehabing well. The plan is for him to resume contact training in the New Year. It would be a huge bonus if Jack is available come round one.

possm

Coach
In my opinion, if we had 'like for like or better' replacements for Frizell, De Belin and Graham, Jack Bird would be a natural selection for the left centre or five-eighth positions. I would rather see players like Pereira or Ravalawa move to the forward pack if we had to fill those backrow positions from within, even if it meant that they would be depth players to begin with.

I have a horrible feeling that Bird would be more likely to sustain injuries palying at lock or right edge forward while at the same time, Bird would excel in both defence and attack if selected in the halves.

I'm really looking forward to see what Griffin and his staff can do with Norman and Hunt. I would not be surprised to see these two halves lift their game in the early rounds but whether they can sustain that form throughout the season and/or lift to a level that the coaching staff are happy with is another matter.

In my opinion, if Norman secures a contract beyond 2021 at another club, he will slacken off once that contract is signed.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
In my opinion, if we had 'like for like or better' replacements for Frizell, De Belin and Graham, Jack Bird would be a natural selection for the left centre or five-eighth positions. I would rather see players like Pereira or Ravalawa move to the forward pack if we had to fill those backrow positions from within, even if it meant that they would be depth players to begin with.

I have a horrible feeling that Bird would be more likely to sustain injuries palying at lock or right edge forward while at the same time, Bird would excel in both defence and attack if selected in the halves.

I'm really looking forward to see what Griffin and his staff can do with Norman and Hunt. I would not be surprised to see these two halves lift their game in the early rounds but whether they can sustain that form throughout the season and/or lift to a level that the coaching staff are happy with is another matter.

In my opinion, if Norman secures a contract beyond 2021 at another club, he will slacken off once that contract is signed.
can not see norman getting a contract anywhere i think he wants to do as little as possible to secure his money then retire.

possm

Coach
BIRD PREPARES FOR POSITIONAL SWITCH

New Dragons recruit Jack Bird is keen to click the reset button on his career and it looks like that will involve a new position.

Bird was tipped to play lock in 2021 — a position he’s been keen to play ever since he first joined the Broncos in 2018 — however Wide World of Sports reports the 25-year-old has been training on an edge.

“Jack has the makings of a top back-rower. He may start the year in the backs but we see him as a very dangerous edge runner,” a Dragons source told WWOS.

NRL 2021: pre-season training updates, Tesi Niu at centre, Brisbane Broncos, Kotoni Staggs injury, Kevin Walters, Melbourne Storm captain, Cameron Smith, Ryan Papenhuyzen | Fox Sports

I'm very interested to see which backline position Bird will occupy before moving to the right edge.

getsmarty

Immortal
Shiny and new: Every club's best recruit for 2021
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter

Whether they be a young prospect or a hardened veteran, it's always exciting when a player joins a new club.

An astute signing or two can often drastically change a club's fortunes, making the recruitment manager's job crucial.

There's been a flurry of movement over the summer, and as season 2021 draws nearer, NRL.com has named each team's key recruit.

Some will quickly become cornerstones in their fresh surroundings, while others may bide their time before showing their worth.

St George Illawarra Dragons
Jack Bird
It's easy to forget Jack Bird's immense talent given injuries restricted him to 17 games in three years for the Broncos. Turning 26 in March, with some much-deserved luck the versatile Bird's best days are yet to come - a scary thought considering he's already won a premiership and played for NSW. Back at his junior club, he is a true wildcard.

Others: Poasa Faamausili (Roosters), Daniel Alvaro (Eels)

jack-bird.jpg

Dragons recruit Jack Bird.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/22/shiny-and-new-every-clubs-best-recruit-for-2021/

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Shiny and new: Every club's best recruit for 2021
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter

Whether they be a young prospect or a hardened veteran, it's always exciting when a player joins a new club.

An astute signing or two can often drastically change a club's fortunes, making the recruitment manager's job crucial.

There's been a flurry of movement over the summer, and as season 2021 draws nearer, NRL.com has named each team's key recruit.

Some will quickly become cornerstones in their fresh surroundings, while others may bide their time before showing their worth.
St George Illawarra Dragons
Jack Bird

It's easy to forget Jack Bird's immense talent given injuries restricted him to 17 games in three years for the Broncos. Turning 26 in March, with some much-deserved luck the versatile Bird's best days are yet to come - a scary thought considering he's already won a premiership and played for NSW. Back at his junior club, he is a true wildcard.

Others: Poasa Faamausili (Roosters), Daniel Alvaro (Eels)

jack-bird.jpg

Dragons recruit Jack Bird.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/22/shiny-and-new-every-clubs-best-recruit-for-2021/
No big macs on Jack.....great to see

Anyone know how much the Broncos are paying Saints to take Bird on? It seems a huge risk to me with his injury history. Only someone signing James was more surprising. Good luck though! When he was fit he looked awesome, but that was so long ago!

Latest posts