What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Kilkenny

Coach
The West Tigers pain around Russell Packer will be over at the end of 2021. They are surely stuck with him so hopefully offers them something in his last year of his career.

Kilkenny

Coach
I understand the late finish to 2020, all the issues around Covid but the start of 2021 draws nearer every day and I just think we need to have our top 30 locked in. All this uncertainty isn’t healthy, we really need to get it sorted.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I understand the late finish to 2020, all the issues around Covid but the start of 2021 draws nearer every day and I just think we need to have our top 30 locked in. All this uncertainty isn’t healthy, we really need to get it sorted.

They may be no uncertainty at the club. That’s all that really matters. Who cares when they announce it.

Bob

Juniors
From the Telegraph

Stephen Crichton’s contract standoff costs Penrith a pretty penny
Many thought Stephen Crichton was crazy to walk away from a $500K handshake deal, but the move is about to pay off big time.

The NRL’s next millionaire could be made this week with the Penrith Panthers set to table a deal that will make Stephen Crichton rugby league’s richest centre.

Crichton will be offered a $10,000-a-game upgrade to his existing contract as part of a new deal that is expected to be worth $2.25 million over three years.

Hoping to end the contract saga that began with a revelation that “the next big thing” reneged on a $500,000 handshake deal, the Panthers confirmed that a revised contract had been finalised and would be put to Crichton as early as this week.

d33336702bd93e17f564efb0df6821b9

Stephen Crichton is poised to become the highest paid centre in the game. Picture: Brett Costello
“It has been a bit of a process since the grand final but we are almost there,” Penrith coach Ivan Cleary (inset) said.

“It (managing the roster) has been a challenge for us after a successful year that came as a bit of a surprise, but we are confident that he won’t be going anywhere.”

It is understood the $2.25 million will include a $250,000 upgrade to his current contract which is set to expire at the end of this year.

f9684d36968c1e280bb8491a85e21de4

Penrith coach Ivan Cleary was confident the club would retain Crichton. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images
The $750,000-a-year deal will leapfrog Crichton over Roosters powerhouse Joey Manu ($700,000) as the NRL’s highest-paid full-time centre in a stunning achievement for a 20-year-old who has played just 26 NRL games.

The Panthers are confident the new deal will be enough to fend off interest from a long line of rival clubs, led by the cashed-up Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

Jane Murray

Bench
From the Telegraph

Many thought Stephen Crichton was crazy to walk away from a $500K handshake deal, but the move is about to pay off big time.

The NRL’s next millionaire could be made this week with the Penrith Panthers set to table a deal that will make Stephen Crichton rugby league’s richest centre.

Crichton will be offered a $10,000-a-game upgrade to his existing contract as part of a new deal that is expected to be worth $2.25 million over three years.

Hoping to end the contract saga that began with a revelation that “the next big thing” reneged on a $500,000 handshake deal, the Panthers confirmed that a revised contract had been finalised and would be put to Crichton as early as this week.

Stephen Crichton is poised to become the highest paid centre in the game. Picture: Brett Costello
“It has been a bit of a process since the grand final but we are almost there,” Penrith coach Ivan Cleary (inset) said.

“It (managing the roster) has been a challenge for us after a successful year that came as a bit of a surprise, but we are confident that he won’t be going anywhere.”

It is understood the $2.25 million will include a $250,000 upgrade to his current contract which is set to expire at the end of this year.

Penrith coach Ivan Cleary was confident the club would retain Crichton. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images
The $750,000-a-year deal will leapfrog Crichton over Roosters powerhouse Joey Manu ($700,000) as the NRL’s highest-paid full-time centre in a stunning achievement for a 20-year-old who has played just 26 NRL games.

The Panthers are confident the new deal will be enough to fend off interest from a long line of rival clubs, led by the cashed-up Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.
I see Crichton as the fullback this season.

Original Name

Juniors
Re-signings and signing yes but you defiantly want to leave a few spots open as a carrot to push the guys fighting for a spot in the squad.

From the Telegraph

Wow! 750K for a centre.That is brave! Good luck!
The West Tigers pain around Russell Packer will be over at the end of 2021. They are surely stuck with him so hopefully offers them something in his last year of his career.
I very much doubt it!

Whino

Bench
From the Telegraph

I see the Telegraph are still running with $750k figure first floated a month ago by Dean Ritchie's so called recruitment manager. Doesn't matter what he re-signs for the papers will inflate it.
For anything near that he has to play Fullback.

I see Blade was right. He said some players wanted an extension to their existing contract before re-signing.

I can't help think Crichton's retention is the whole domino effect for the rest of the re-signings and signings.

hindy111

Post Whore
750k is slightly overs but not ridiculous. Cotric signed for 600k.
Any representative back is getting 500k+ If crighton is seen as a fullback and kills it then 750k is cheap.

MugaB

Coach
I'm beginning to wonder if @MugaB has done time, & ol' Fudge Packer was his gaol Mrs. I can't comprehend the obsession otherwise.

**Addendum
Not that there is anything wrong with that...
No there isn't anything wrong with that, each to their own, even Deadpool is pansexual and people seem to still love his antics...

My reasoning for Packer is 2 fold, he will intimidate the opposition, come off the bench without sooking for "the right for a starting spot" like RCG did, no nonsense straight line, and we get an experienced test prop and not pay for that much for him, i see him no different to tetevano, yet half the forum sooked when we got him, and now he is gone to ESL, after a stellar minor premier year, and we will lack that punch off the bench, i dont rate Esienhuth to do the job, and Leota will most likely be our starting prop, only see Sorenson giving us that option, even then he isn't as intimidating as Tetevano or Packer would be.

I don't care what he did off field years ago, he was found guilty and did his time, i only care what he produces on field when given to opportunity to do so.
If tigers are wanting him gone they'll pay to do it, and we can use that viggor at a cut price deal, hell ill even take lelani latu back if it means we can have some depth in the forwards (that isn't 2nd rower of some sort)

MugaB

Coach
Any representative back is getting 500k+ If crighton is seen as a fullback and kills it then 750k is cheap.
First thing youve said that isn't stir eels crazy, and i agree, long term its a good play.... as long as injuries aren't an issue, besides having a local junior getting that sort of money can only be good for the side, plus Stephen seems very motivated regardless of the cash amount, he probably would have done it for minimum wage, as long as he gets to play NRL with his mates, you can tell this is a manager driven contract nego, not some merc player. I loved the fact that they all returned early for training, as a fan it makes me smile

That is over 8% of your cap going on one centre. Centres just aren’t involved enough for that sort of investment so I too assume he must therefore be going to FB. Can Edwards play centre?

Blade23

Juniors
I see the Telegraph are still running with $750k figure first floated a month ago by Dean Ritchie's so called recruitment manager. Doesn't matter what he re-signs for the papers will inflate it.
For anything near that he has to play Fullback.

I see Blade was right. He said some players wanted an extension to their existing contract before re-signing.

I can't help think Crichton's retention is the whole domino effect for the rest of the re-signings and signings.

Hit the nail on the head with pretty much all of that.

WestyLife

First Grade
From the Telegraph

He'll have to be fullback if there's truth to this. Unless they compensate by having Edwards who's worth a bit less.

Latest posts