What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McCullough

redv13

Bench
Yeah, I agree. The only reason would be that McInnes is gone but not announced. He was real close to McIdiot. Maybe that was his straw. Sounds stupid to spit the dummy and go just because we turf a loser, but if thats his game well so be it.

Otherwise, McInnes is the new lock.
Simple really. If the captain is having a wa wa and acting like a 5 yr old then strip him of the captaincy and send him on his way. Love the bloke but no one is bigger than the club

Maddragon99

Juniors
The rationale is simple .
Hook has decided to use Mciness at lock this year and on this basis needs a front line Hooker .. Bird will play 2nd row and cover other backline spots w Sims the other first choice 2nd rower. I guess 2 things are for sure based on the above .
1. Hunt will definitely play 7 this season
2 Billy Britain is not regarded as a first grade Hooker
There’s another possibility, Hook plans to release McInnes early & replace him with a cheaper option say $300k McCullough to free up some cap for a mid season signing.

Either way I don’t like it, McCullough is a busted over the hill veteran. We’d be lucky to get 8-10 games out of him.

Gareth67

First Grade
I have said it a number of times now , however I truly believe that the reason Captain Hook is after him is for his ability to organize a team on the field - to direct them around the park . The Dragons have not had anyone for sometime now whom is capable of filling this most important role

And of course it will not be any$300k that they will be paying , but much closer to the $600k price that the Broncs are asking .

Big question for Griffin is he prepared to outlay such a large sum for 31 year player or put that money to purchase a player such as Crichton ?

Last edited:

SnowDragon

Juniors
I have said it a number of times now , burn I truly believe that the reason Captain Hook is after him is for his ability to organize a team on the field - to direct them around the park . The Dragons have not had anyone for sometime now whom is capable of filling this most important role

And of course it will not be any$300k that they will be paying , but much closer to the $600k price that the Broncs are asking .

Big question for Griffin is he prepared to outlay such a large sum for 31 year player or put that money to purchase a player such as Crichton ?

I believe if we get him, he has already received roughly 1/4 of the years salary since it’s end of January. That means full price now is 450...

I still say no to the signing, though Hook has some leeway atm and there may be things we don’t know about or appreciate

possm

Coach
Maybe a better alternative would be Brendon Smith. He also wants to play hooker. Maybe the reasons why Griffin is not chasing B Smith are:
He is not available for season 2021
He is more expensive than McCullough
He has his eye on a local junior who possibly won't be ready until season 2023

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
McCullough. Hunt and Norman. Baby Bronco's connection under Hook. Maybe he wants that connection as he knows how well they work together. But I am sure that will really annoy McInness unless he likes playing lock. This came out of left field that is for sure.

I just refuse to believe McInness would be that upset Mary was booted that he would want to leave because of it. It's like the Darius Boyd / Wayne Bennett romance with the only difference being Mary won't be employed again by any other club in any hurry if ever so Cam can follow him.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I believe if we get him, he has already received roughly 1/4 of the years salary since it’s end of January. That means full price now is 450...

I still say no to the signing, though Hook has some leeway atm and there may be things we don’t know about or appreciate
I’m still not happy with any of this, even at a bargain $300K assuming the Broncs kick in more money. Buying McCullough means playing McInnes at lock which doesn’t work.

On a positive McCullough has been pretty durable. Debuted in 2008 played 3 games & since has only played less than 20 games twice 18 in 2018 & 3 in 2020.

we’ll have to see how it all plays out.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
My (new) theory is that McCollough is wanted really as a back-up to McInnes. The reason is that BB has had a few serious concussions, 2 last season. Hence trying to manufacture a back-up in H. Lomax and maybe that's not working, or HL maybe seen as a back-up to the back-up who can also play lock.

McCollough is off-contract in 2021 and basically his last season. BB is also off-contract in 2021. McCollough maybe seen as a more suitable "reserve" than BB and will come cheap (for a 1st grade contract) after this year.

Anyway just my theory.

SnowDragon

Juniors
My (new) theory is that McCollough is wanted really as a back-up to McInnes. The reason is that BB has had a few serious concussions, 2 last season. Hence trying to manufacture a back-up in H. Lomax and maybe that's not working, or HL maybe seen as a back-up to the back-up who can also play lock.

McCollough is off-contract in 2021 and basically his last season. BB is also off-contract in 2021. McCollough maybe seen as a more suitable "reserve" than BB and will come cheap (for a 1st grade contract) after this year.

Anyway just my theory.

I like your theory.

However discussions on McInnes’s contract at the same time sound like it’s part of the negotiation process which could backfire for everyone. An article in the SMH on top 20 players off contract suggested that he is on 550k, wanting 700k and dragons don’t want to budge.

Maddragon99

Juniors

Anyway just my theory.
Signing McCullough for 2021 makes about as much sense as signing Issac Luke last year. Must be plans within plans going on here to free up cap space to make a play for an unknown player that Hook wants.

possm

Coach
Signing McCullough for 2021 makes about as much sense as signing Issac Luke last year. Must be plans within plans going on here to free up cap space to make a play for an unknown player that Hook wants.
You could very well be right about freeing up more cap to recruit a right edge forward. Now add to this mix the possibility of Norman's contract being torn up and we really are in the midst of some quickfire accounting.

hewi

Bench
You could very well be right about freeing up more cap to recruit a right edge forward. Now add to this mix the possibility of Norman's contract being torn up and we really are in the midst of some quickfire accounting.

Could we be so lucky?

BLM01

First Grade
Im am pretty sure Normans contract will be ripped up as much as Payne Haas & David Fifita's will be for all their so called minor discretions
TBH what Norman was involved with happens every night outside night clubs and pubs in a few venues in NSW.
99% of the time they are not so called newsworthy.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Im am pretty sure Normans contract will be ripped up as much as Payne Haas & David Fifita's will be for all their so called minor discretions
TBH what Norman was involved with happens every night outside night clubs and pubs in a few venues in NSW.

Yep, I very much doubt any action will be taken against Norman.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Difference being neither the Gold Coast or Brisbane aren’t trying to punt marquee players, JdB also falls into the same category.

Whereas we’ve been trying to get rid of Norman for the past 2 years.

BLM01

First Grade
Difference being neither the Gold Coast or Brisbane aren’t trying to punt marquee players, JdB also falls into the same category.

Whereas we’ve been trying to get rid of Norman for the past 2 years.
Wont happen. And for what reason can they punt him for this time?
The club wont get away with it unless he has broken his contract T & C or he has pled guilty to charges that warrant immediate sacking
They can play him in reggies if they want to punish him.

Wont happen. And for what reason can they punt him for this time?
The club wont get away with it unless he has broken his contract T & C or he has pled guilty to charges that warrant immediate sacking
They can play him in reggies if they want to punish him.

If the Club drops Norman to Reggies, the only team that will suffer will be Reggies:)

FlameThrower

Bench
We have money already but can’t attract the quality at present.
A great start to the year could change that though.
People keep glossing over that key fact. We’re yesterday’s heroes and 7 years of L-Plate coaches and dismal on field performance has seen as drop to cellar dwellers.
We won’t attract quality players until not only on field performance improves, but we also see some pride and ‘fun’ return to our squad. We’ve looked like a bunch of guys having to go to weekly funerals.
The fan base turned on the Club in recent years and walked away from membership and attending games. A lot of work still ahead of us...