What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

bileduct

Coach
WW84 was pretty goofy and average, but I am kinda amused by the people complaining about how dumb the wishing stone was, as if we didn't just have 22 f**king Marvel films where purple Joss Whedon went about collecting a bunch of stones for his stupid glove so he could wish half the sentient life in the universe out of existence.

Danish

Referee
WW84 was pretty goofy and average, but I am kinda amused by the people complaining about how dumb the wishing stone was, as if we didn't just have 22 f**king Marvel films where purple Joss Whedon went about collecting a bunch of stones for his stupid glove so he could wish half the sentient life in the universe out of existence.

don’t forget how the magic glove wearer needs to literally snap their fingers for it to work, because the saying “he could snap half of life out of existence” was apparently a literal instruction and not a turn of phrase

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
don’t forget how the magic glove wearer needs to literally snap their fingers for it to work, because the saying “he could snap half of life out of existence” was apparently a literal instruction and not a turn of phrase
It's a comic book movie...

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
yes I know.

Did you read the post I was responding to? The joke is the neck beards sooking about the monkey’s paw in WW84 being silly and unrealistic while having no issue with marvel’s own magic plot macguffin
It's more about how it's introduced and resolved as a plot point.

azzah72

Bench
It's more about how it's introduced and resolved as a plot point.

The first 20 mins or so of WW84 had me excited because I thought they were going to fully lean into a Richard Donner Superman movie. Cheesy. corny, good action set pieces etc.

Only to kind of go away with the tone very quickly and make a 1-dimensional story about greed.

Effectively Max and Cheeta are essentially 2 people playing Jim Carrey's riddler in the movie.

I also found the way they brought back Steve Trevor really odd and the emotional way in which he "departs" didn't land for me because it just didn't feel earned.

There was actually a pretty good idea in the story but poorly executed and too long.

All that being said, I could have given the movie a pass had it, at least, had some nice thumping action set pieces but I felt it lacked that also. there was nothing like the sniper scene and the walk over no man's land or anything like that from the first one.

The car chase scene was alright and the opening Olympic thing wasn't bad but that was really it.

Disappointing since I really enjoyed the first one, even with the messy third act.

Game_Breaker

Coach
WandaVision now starting to get interesting
We got good insight into what's going on, not sure the reason why

Just seems like Wanda coping after being snapped back
In Civil War she did mention Tony locked her away in her room, perhaps she binged a lot of old tv sitcoms and wished for that sort of life with Vision but he died in IW

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Yep Scarlett Witch looks like she’s had a meltdown and created her own perfect American fantasy life based on old sitcoms she assumably watched growing up in Sokovia.

Its almost like she has set it up that she herself even thinks it’s real? Only when outside influences make her click does she sort of come back to reality for a second.

Interesting to see where it goes from here.

Also I find Elizabeth Olsen sexy as hell

shiznit

Coach
I’m interested in what vision is... is he purely a manifestation of her powers or did she somehow get his body and she’s done something to it... and she’s just seeing him as she wants to see him??

I’m thinking it’s the latter as if she could just manifested him like that you’d think she would have done the same her brother quicksilver.

im thinking Wanda’s role in the next Dr Strange film maybe as a villain.... hopefully he shows up towards the end of this.

Matua

Bench
Yep Scarlett Witch looks like she’s had a meltdown and created her own perfect American fantasy life based on old sitcoms she assumably watched growing up in Sokovia.

Its almost like she has set it up that she herself even thinks it’s real? Only when outside influences make her click does she sort of come back to reality for a second.

Interesting to see where it goes from here.

Also I find Elizabeth Olsen sexy as hell
I've never felt that she's anything stunning (aside from being obviously attractive on the eyes) but she was hot as fudge in the black and white eps.

That sums up DC pretty much across the board on the big screen over the last 15 years, Nolan aside.

I think you are being a bit to broad in your thoughts.

Man of Steel was a decent film.

Batman v Superman? Yep, a mess.

Justice League? Passable but was plagued with problems off screen.

Aquaman? Success.

Wonder Woman? Success.

As such it is not all doom and gloom for DC, but I will grant you Marvel have been more consistent in churning out decent to good movies by comparison. Just that DC's successes are not just the Nolan Batman trilogy is all.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member

Aquaman? Success.

Wonder Woman? Success.

As such it is not all doom and gloom for DC, but I will grant you Marvel have been more consistent in churning out decent to good movies by comparison. Just that DC's successes are not just the Nolan Batman trilogy is all.
Each to their own. The DC films just seem so much more forced and laboured to me

shiznit

Coach
Each to their own. The DC films just seem so much more forced and laboured to me
Because they tried to force through a connected universe without laying the groundwork.

They were going head to head with the Marvel films who had 15 odd films which had built that universe... Marvel’s stories had miles more depth and meaning because viewers were already invested through 20 odd hours of previous stories about these characters.

justice league we saw Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg for the first time. BvS we had a new Batman and a WW we had never seen before.

is it any surprise that the best films so far have been MoS, Aquaman, the first WW, Shazam and Joker.

none of them are interlinked... they SHOULD have done Justice League after they finished the upcoming Flash film.

but WB’s saw Marvel/Disney rolling out massive hit after massive hit and rushed through their own cinematic universe which came out forced...

if they truly wanted to make a DC universe quickly without building it completely they really should have thrown everything at Nolan and Bale to continue on off of the Dark Knight Trilogy... MoS could have been next with WW after that... then BvS could have been Cavil’s Superman vs Bale’s Batman.

instead they rushed through what ended up being a hot mess...

edabomb

First Grade

Aquaman? Success.

Wonder Woman? Success.

Suicide Squad? I would say fair enough it's easy to forget, but I still wake up in a cold sweat dreaming I'm only 10 minutes in and stuck in cinema on a first date.

Suicide Squad? I would say fair enough it's easy to forget, but I still wake up in a cold sweat dreaming I'm only 10 minutes in and stuck in cinema on a first date.

I never said Suicide Squad was a success, nor that all of DC's movies were great or successful. Just that not all of them were bad.

DC suffers (esp with casting of Batman) like Dr Who...there’s a new one, fresh interpretation , reboot every couple of years.