What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman

Gareth67

First Grade
It's certainly hard to be the diplomat in situations like that. Unfortunately it's not new. Only talking from personal experience.

I was glad to see whoever it was that hit the deck get up again so quickly. The ground is not a good place to be when surrounded by deadshits.

You are certainly right there Willow . Diplomacy is nowhere in their bag of tricks as they have already picked their ‘ mark ‘ usually before leaving the premises and of course as you yourself realize they shall then wait for their opportunity to pounce .

I worked in a club of ill-repute for a number of years and they had security cameras both out side and inside as is usual and there were numerous incidents but nothing that we needed to call the police in for .

But that changed late one evening when a chap was shot numerous times just as he was leaving . The door closed behind him and he was at their mercy , try as we would the door would not open until he finally manage to move to allow me - yes me to drag him back inside .

He was a big boy and where I found the strength I do not know however I dragged him all the way into the lounge of course sending the club’s patrons screaming and scattering in all directions. I was covered in the sod’s blood ( a known druggie ) but still attempted to do what I could for him . The woman with whom I was working with was hysterical and still had not called the ambulance or police I actually had to slap her across the face to get her back to her senses .

Meanwhile I graph a few towels and believe it or not an old bottle of Detol and poured it over his wounds , then wrap the towels around them only to realize that his gut was ripped open by a bullet .

Was told that he died twice whilst in the operating room , but did live . I was hailed by my workmates as some sort of hero , but hero or not I never went back there again .

As a result of that incident my life went downhill , I slept with a loaded rifle by my bed for months until finally I began to realize that there was nothing to concern myself about the incident any longer . I picked up the pieces and began again until now I am much older with a home of my own and contented with life .

Sorry about all that gents , but I am glad to get that out of my system.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You are certainly right there Willow . Diplomacy is nowhere in their bag of tricks as they have already picked their ‘ mark ‘ usually before leaving the premises and of course as you yourself realize they shall then wait for their opportunity to pounce .

I worked in a club of ill-repute for a number of years and they had security cameras both out side and inside as is usual and there were numerous incidents but nothing that we needed to call the police in for .

But that changed late one evening when a chap was shot numerous times just as he was leaving . The door closed behind him and he was at their mercy , try as we would the door would not open until he finally manage to move to allow me - yes me to drag him back inside .

He was a big boy and where I found the strength I do not know however I dragged him all the way into the lounge of course sending the club’s patrons screaming and scattering in all directions. I was covered in the sod’s blood ( a known druggie ) but still attempted to do what I could for him . The woman with whom I was working with was hysterical and still had not called the ambulance or police I actually had to slap her across the face to get her back to her senses .

Meanwhile I graph a few towels and believe it or not an old bottle of Detol and poured it over his wounds , then wrap the towels around them only to realize that his gut was ripped open by a bullet .

Was told that he died twice whilst in the operating room , but did live . I was hailed by my workmates as some sort of hero , but hero or not I never went back there again .

As a result of that incident my life went downhill , I slept with a loaded rifle by my bed for months until finally I began to realize that there was nothing to concern myself about the incident any longer . I picked up the pieces and began again until now I am much older with a home of my own and contented with life .

Geez mate, I was just going share a story about me being jumped by a bunch of thugs in a well lit street in Newtown one night in the 1980s.

My girlfriend and I were walking home from a party, a car pulled up, three of them jumped out and just starting throwing punches at me. No time for talk. That's where I learnt that you try to stay upright and fight back, hitting the ground was the last place I wanted to be. I was more worried about my girlfriend. The pricks took $5 from us. It was bloody enough but all over very quickly.

The funny thing that gave me the shits was that they were better dressed than me. lol.

And yes, afterwards we called the police, for what it was worth. And I walked around with an iron bar for 'self defence' for weeks afterwards. One day I realised it wasn't a good look, particularly when strangers were giving me a wide berth.

But all that falls away into insignificance compared to what you went through mate. You saved his life.

boardlumps62

Juniors
I live away from Sydney but attacks can happen if your out late in a dark play anywhere. Now days have to be careful they carry weapons and can strike when your unaware of after a few and your just vulnerable. Was it Anthony Mundine who dodged a bullet when out one night can't remember the deal thought it was a couple of lads on the street. Best to mind your own business also a few words can develop into something nasty.

Gareth67

First Grade
Geez mate, I was just going share a story about me being jumped by a bunch of thugs in a well lit street in Newtown one night in the 1980s.

My girlfriend and I were walking home from a party, a car pulled up, three of them jumped out and just starting throwing punches at me. No time for talk. That's where I learnt that you try to stay upright and fight back, hitting the ground was the last place I wanted to be. I was more worried about my girlfriend. The pricks took $5 from us. It was bloody enough but all over very quickly.

The funny thing that gave me the shits was that they better dressed than me. lol.

And yes, afterwards we called the police, for what it was worth. And I walked around with an iron bar for 'self defence' for weeks afterwards. One day I realised it wasn't a good look, particularly when strangers were giving me a wide berth.

But all that falls away into insignificance compared to what you went through mate. You saved his life.

No Willow walking around the place with a big bloody iron bar is not going to you into Buckingham Palace my friend . :relaxed:

Would you believe that the joker actually grabbed me around my shirt collar saying “ please don’t let me die “ the fool almost strangled the life out of me , but he did promise to give me everything that he had as long as he lived .

Well the berstard actually sued the club and won and can you guess how much he gave me ? Yes that’s right a big fat $0 . I am so damn glad that he squealed like a pig when I poured that bottle of Detol on his wounds .

The owner contacted me a number of weeks later to ask how I was and to say to come back and collect some cash that he owed me . I got him to give the money to another person whom I trusted and received it that way . About 6 months after that I received a Cheque in the mail from the club ‘ for services rendered ‘ .

Still an extremely bad incident that shows just how violence can affect not only those physically involved, but also innocent people . Still I did take the job on with the knowledge that it was the type of work that may had been well paid , but with risks .

But it is over now thank goodness , up until today I had never told anyone about just what had occurred so I feel that I have finally released the demon that has been inside the pit off my stomach for a number of years .

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade

Well done Gareth67 not only for helping to save someone's life but being able to let us know of this incident. You were very brave under the circumstances and yes, very heroic to go to his aid when most people would have waited for the police to arrive. Hopefully the guy who was shot thanked you?

There are so many out there with loose cannons either looking for a fight or taking your wallet. Unfortunately, muggings, bashings, stabbings and shootings have been part of life and you just do not know what is around the corner.

Take care.

Dragon David

First Grade
Well done Gareth67 not only for helping to save someone's life but being able to let us know of this incident. You were very brave under the circumstances and yes, very heroic to go to his aid when most people would have waited for the police to arrive. Hopefully the guy who was shot thanked you?

There are so many out there with loose cannons either looking for a fight or taking your wallet. Unfortunately, muggings, bashings, stabbings and shootings have been part of life and you just do not know what is around the corner.

Take care.
You have already given the answer, thanks Gareth.

Dragon David

First Grade
No Willow walking around the place with a big bloody iron bar is not going to you into Buckingham Palace my friend . :relaxed:

Would you believe that the joker actually grabbed me around my shirt collar saying “ please don’t let me die “ the fool almost strangled the life out of me , but he did promise to give me everything that he had as long as he lived .

Well the berstard actually sued the club and won and can you guess how much he gave me ? Yes that’s right a big fat $0 . I am so damn glad that he squealed like a pig when I poured that bottle of Detol on his wounds .

The owner contacted a number of weeks later to ask how I was and to say to come back and collect some cash that he owed me . I got him to give the money to another person whom I trusted and received it that way . About 6 months after that I received a Cheque in the mail from the club ‘ for services rendered ‘ .

Still an extremely bad incident that shows just how violence can affect not only those physically involved, but also innocent people . Still I did take the job on with the knowledge that it was the type of work that may had been well paid , but with risks .

But it is over now thank goodness , up until today I had never told anyone about just what had occurred so I feel that I have finally released the demon that has been inside the pit off my stomach for a number of years .
What an absolute bastard. If you did nothing and he died, you probably would have felt guilty for not doing anything and yet you did do something which helped save him and you got SFA. To me, you did right and I am sure in some way you will be rewarded - maybe another Dragons premiership win in the not too distant future. Let's hope so.

Gareth67

First Grade
You have already given the answer, thanks Gareth.

By way of a 3rd party yes he thanked me , however I would not give him my phone number . There were too many coincidences that had taken place that night , until I finally realized that he was ‘ set-up ‘ by someone who worked at club itself .

That was the reason I was concerned about my own safety after the event . The gunman actually looked at me when I was pulling the other chap inside . He seemed to be making his mind up as to whether or not to squeeze of another round but thank God he did not . I recall saying to him that I was only trying to help him and the berstard said two words to me “ Good luck “ . Jumped into a white a Ford Fairlane and sped off into the darkness .

However it’s over now there are far more happier memories for me to think about nowadays .

Willow

Assistant Moderator

The owner contacted a number of weeks later to ask how I was and to say to come back and collect some cash that he owed me . I got him to give the money to another person whom I trusted and received it that way . About 6 months after that I received a Cheque in the mail from the club ‘ for services rendered ‘ .

Haha. Yeah, I worked out the iron bar thing all by myself. I now recall that in the 80s when driving taxis in Sydney, I did keep a tyre lever in the gap between the seat and door. Turned out that was a totally useless tool as well, just like the scum who thought taxis were a soft target.

Some say we shouldn't put ourselves in 'that position'.

Good place to unload mate. I'll raise a drink to you this weekend.

Gareth67

First Grade
What an absolute bastard. If you did nothing and he died, you probably would have felt guilty for not doing anything and yet you did do something which helped save him and you got SFA. To me, you did right and I am sure in some way you will be rewarded - maybe another Dragons premiership win in the not too distant future. Let's hope so.

I will settle for a future Dragon’s premiership David , that way we can all share in it - thanks bud .

Gareth67

First Grade
Haha. Yeah, I worked out the iron bar thing all by myself. I now recall that in the 80s when driving taxis in Sydney, I did keep a tyre lever in the gap between the seat and door. Turned out that was a totally useless tool as well, just like the scum who thought taxis were a soft target.

Some say we shouldn't put ourselves in 'that position'.

Good place to unload mate. I'll raise a drink to you this weekend.

Thank you Willow , ensure it’s a decent one and don’t forget - put it on my tab .

Juniors

What was the club called

goldiesaintz

Juniors
This makes no sense..

All good Muzby,

G67 was suggesting we get back onto the league so l mentioned we're still in the off season.
Its not duck season, its not the league as yet, its the 'off season'.

A bit of a 'Dad' joke l guess. No harm done.

Gareth67

First Grade
What was the club called

Do you really expect me to answer that ? ?

I will not name the venue other than to say it was at KingCross . The club itself has since closed its doors , however the owner still operates another ‘ well heeled ‘ venue in the same vicinity .

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Do you really expect me to answer that ? ?

I will not name the venue other than to say it was at KingCross . The club itself has since closed its doors , however the owner still operates another ‘ well heeled ‘ venue in the same vicinity .
Yeah it was an odd question. When it comes to the Cross, Darlo... in fact anywhere in the inner city, there's dozens of venues that fit the description.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons: Players back Norman in brawl furore
Dragons Den
r0_0_5223_3586_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SCRUTINY: Corey Norman remains subject to an NRL Integrity Unit investigation. Picture: NRL Imagery
COREY Norman retains the full support of his teammates as an NRL Integrity Unit investigation into his alleged involvement in a Cronulla street brawl last weekend continues.

It comes after video was circulated through various media outlets showing Norman and former NRL player James Segeyaro involved in a physical altercation with a group of men.

Segeyaro and Norman presented their version of events via their clothing and media company YKTR's instagram page in the aftermath, alleging Segeyaro was subjected to racist taunts.

Corey has been dealing with a little bit off the field and there's so much pressure on halves in general but he's a pro. He's definitely got our support.

- Tariq Sims
The Integrity Unit investigation is ongoing, but Norman appears likely to face some form of sanction given that Storm prop Nelson Asofa-Solomona was stood down over a similar incident in Bali last year.

Norman has not been stood down from training and Dragons back rower Tariq Sims threw his support behind his club teammate and Segeyaro.

"It's not only Corey, but James as well," Sims said.

"Even though he's not part of our club, he's been involved in the NRL for many, many years and he's got the support of the Dragons. I'm sure James knows that.

"There's absolutely no excuse for what's allegedly been said. Obviously I wasn't there, it's before the [ARL] Commission and they're going to look at it, assess the situation and go from there.

"[Norman's] been really focused on training and the way he's training and going about his business has been pretty inspirational to be honest. Corey has been dealing with a little bit off the field and there's so much pressure on halves in general but he's a pro. He has definitely got the support of our coaching staff and our team."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/7105369/players-back-norman-amid-brawl-furore/?cs=3713