What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes

Who’s the better dummyhalf for ‘22 & ‘23?

• Cameron McInnes

Votes: 46 54.8%
  • Ben Hunt

Votes: 38 45.2%

• Total voters
Interview on SEN with Matty Elliot, speaks about how cams game has already improved drastically and he says cam a dragon for the rest of his life. Encouraging. Also says if McCullough came it wouldn't change cams gam at all
Should we assume this is referring to Cam at hooker? If Cam is at hooker why bother with And.M? It would make more sense if it was referring to Cam at Lock.

Gareth67

First Grade
It’s good to hear positive news with Cam McInnes and an added bonus should he be playing in his preferred position as hooker . I especially like that he could be a Dragon for life as that is exactly the type of player that Griffin intends to build his new team with .

Last edited:

dragondad

First Grade
What is SEN?
SEN (Sports Entertainment Network) is 1170 on the AM network. It is where 2CH was. Andrew Voss has a breakfast program but he’s not back on air until 15 February. Jimmy Smith is currently doing the breakfast show and is excellent. Joel Caine and Bryan Fletcher are on from 3.00-6.00 pm and work really well together.

Last edited:

dragondad

First Grade
SEN (Sports Entertainment Network) is 1170 on the AM network. It is where 2CH was. Andrew Voss has a breakfast program but he’s not back on air until 15 February. Jimmy Smith is currently doing the breakfast show and is excellent. Joel Caine and Bryan Fletcher are on from 3.00-6.00 pm and work really well together.
It’s also worth downloading the SEN App.

Biglance

Bench
Interview on SEN with Matty Elliot, speaks about how cams game has already improved drastically and he says cam a dragon for the rest of his life. Encouraging. Also says if McCullough came it wouldn't change cams gam at all
Dragon for life doesn't mean he plays for them though does it?

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons assistant coach Matthew Elliott reveals major change for Cameron McInness and Ben Hunt for 2021

Liam O'Loughlin
For the majority of last year, Cameron McInnes and Ben Hunt were switched to different positions more often than the St George Illawarra Dragons picked up wins.

Despite spending the majority of his career as a starting hooker, McInnes started eight games at lock forward and switched there a few other times during games.

Hunt was signed to the Red V as a halfback, coming off some strong years at Brisbane, but played eight games at hooker, four games from the bench and another two at five-eighth.

Talk about consistency.

This year however, things look set to change for two of the Dragons biggest stars, with new coach Anthony Griffin shaking things up in Wollongong.

Hunt is tipped to start the year in the No.7 jersey alongside Corey Norman in the halves, while McInnes will be returning to his regular position of dummy-half as the club move in a different position.

Speaking on SEN's Drive With Jimmy And Fletch, new assistant coach Matthew Elliott revealed that McInnes and Hunt had exclusively been training in their regular positions.

“He’s been at hooker Cam," he said.

“Ben (at hooker) – no. I don’t think anyone should be surprised about that either.

"Cam has trained excluvsely at hooker, and I tell you what his development in the position even in a short period of time has gone through the roof.

"I don’t know how well you know Anthony, but he has basically said to all players that there are no assured positions. Touch wood, we have got a really healthy squad.

"There is a lot of competition for spots, and the rear-vision mirror is full for every player."

The captain of the club in McInnes has been in the headlines lately, with the Dragons yet to offer him a deal for 2022 and have also reportedly been in talks with Broncos veteran Andrew McCullough.

This has led to mass speculation that McInnes could leave the club and potentially link up with a Sydney-based rival - however Elliott believes that won't be the case.

“Fortunately, I don’t have to make any of those decisions. I don’t really pay too much attention to that," he said.

"I was unaware there was even any speculation around that. The first I heard about it was an hour ago. He has been training unreal, and it’s the best-kept secret in the organisation if that’s what is going on.

"I don’t see anything other than Cam being at the Dragons for a long time.

“I’m not over that (McCullough reports) as well. Even if that was a reality, personally I don’t believe he would play over Cam to be honest with you."

Elliott had been out of the coaching game for quite some time, but will return alongside Peter Gentle to work with Griffin in an attempt to turn the struggling Dragons around.

The 56-year old spoke openly about his joy being back around coaching, and highlighted some of the younger players in the Dragons outfit who could impress in 2021.

“I go to work every day with a bunch of young people who want to get better – how’s that for a job? You don’t realise how rare that is until you’re not in that environment...it's pretty special," he said.

“My goodness – (Jackson Ford) is a guy that is very committed I must say. You can’t help but be fairly encouraged about his efforts that’s for sure. If the way he trains and his skillset is applied on the park, he is going to be one hell of a player.

“Cody Ramsey is coming for it so hard. He trains the house down. If you ask me who has been the most impressive of the young fellas, Cody Ramsey – even the boys would tell you that – he’d be hard to go around.

"Sully (Jayden Sullivan) is going to be a player of immense talent, there is no doubt about that. You’re going to hear that name in the future.

"And there’s a young guy called Junior Amone – write that name down, because you will be hearing plenty about that name in the future as well."

Ramsey is tipped to earn himself a spot on the wing for round 1, and perhaps even push fullback Matt Dufty for a spot in the Dragons outfit.

Rookie halves Sullivan and Amone won an SG Ball competition together in 2019, and both are destined for big things.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/new...on-mcinness-and-ben-hunt-for-2021/ar-BB1d9f0R

getsmarty

Immortal
‘At the Dragons for a long time’: Red V shoot down talk of McInnes exit
Dragons
george_clarke.jpg

• January 28, 2021 9:33am
  • GEORGE CLARKE
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
f9bec2e37d5a674017cbf1a976b6bc5f

Cameron McInnes is free to speak to rival clubsSource: AAP
Dragons assistant coach Matt Elliott has said he would be surprised to see star hooker and club captain Cameron McInnes leave the club.

The St George Illawarra No. 9, who was called into the NSW Blues squad for last year’s end-of-season State of Origin series, comes off contract at the end of this year.

As foxsports.com.au revealed, the Dragons are yet to table an offer to the hooker who has been the Dragons’ best player over the last two seasons.

All the while new coach Anthony Griffin has been pursuing Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough whose departure from Brisbane could free up some significant salary cap room at Red Hill.

Speaking on SEN’s Drive with Joel and Fletch, Elliott said it would be a surprise to see McInnes leave while explaining that big-money playmaker Ben Hunt was nailed on as a halfback.

“Fortunately, I don’t have to make any of those decisions. I don’t really pay too much attention to that,” he said.

“I was unaware there was even any speculation around that. The first I heard about it was an hour ago. He has been training unreal, and it’s the best-kept secret in the organisation if that’s what is going on.

“I don’t see anything other than Cam being at the Dragons for a long time.

“I’m not over that (McCullough reports) as well. Even if that was a reality, personally I don’t believe he would play over Cam to be honest with you.

“He’s been at hooker Cam, Ben (Hunt at hooker) – no. I don’t think anyone should be surprised about that either.

“Cam has trained exclusively at hooker, and I tell you what his development in the position even in a short period of time has gone through the roof.

“I don’t know how well you know Anthony, but he has basically said to all players that there are no assured positions. Touch wood, we have got a really healthy squad.”

They have added Daniel Alvaro, Poasa Faamausili and Jack Bird, but Elliott says the young crop of talent assembled at St George Illawarra is some of the best he’s seen.

“My goodness – (Jackson Ford) is a guy that is very committed I must say,” he added.

“You can’t help but be fairly encouraged about his efforts that’s for sure. If the way he trains and his skillset is applied on the park, he is going to be one hell of a player.

“Cody Ramsey is coming for it so hard. He trains the house down. If you ask me who has been the most impressive of the young fellas, Cody Ramsey – even the boys would tell you that – he’d be hard to go around.

“Sully (Jayden Sullivan) is going to be a player of immense talent, there is no doubt about that. You’re going to hear that name in the future.

“And there’s a young guy called Junior Amone – write that name down, because you will be hearing plenty about that name in the future as well.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/c4f44e4286ae889045e509b261eb820a

Walpole

Juniors
Perhaps they think Ford is ready for lock?

Looks to have beefed up a fair but, played 20's there and is training the proverbial down from all reports...
Agree that Ford could be a very good 13 but who plays on the edges? T.Sims and ....

TruSaint

Referee

“I’m not over that (McCullough reports) as well. Even if that was a reality, personally I don’t believe he would play over Cam to be honest with you.

“He’s been at hooker Cam, Ben (Hunt at hooker) – no. I don’t think anyone should be surprised about that either.

“Cam has trained exclusively at hooker, and I tell you what his development in the position even in a short period of time has gone through the roof.

That's all I needed to hear.
I doubt he said that without Hooks blessing.

Dragsters

First Grade
Agree that Ford could be a very good 13 but who plays on the edges? T.Sims and ....

Dunno, unless they think maybe Faamausili can play on the edge perhaps?

We are definitely a quality backrower short. Maybe plans are afoot to recruit one?

Latest posts