What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia in South Africa (postponed) and in NZ SQUADs 2021

TheParraboy

Staff member
Given Australia pretty much never tours NZ, it's disappointing to say why the f**k is this T20 tour happening? It's meaningless, the format is not far from a lottery, it's a Aust B side, which if we towel we are expected to, and if they beat us it doesn't really do anything other than say the BBL is producing good T20 players...

I'll be more interested in your test series tbh, and not only because of the test championship situation, but because test cricket is brilliant - as we've seen time and time again in recent times

NZ was down to tour Australia for 3 ODI and one t20, about this time. But got scrapped months ago due to covid uncertainty. How great would it have been to contest the Chappell / Hadlee trophy after the test series we just had , in a t20 WC year :p . Most would fall asleep or be bitching that one dayers are dead

Being a WC year, These t20 games will pop up more often id imagine where covid protocols allow for nations. Greatful that Aus/NZ are two of the safer regions to schedule cricket.

Scheduling a bit off, as we to field two national sides on opposite sides of the world, but ill take it in these times

TheParraboy

Staff member
This is cringe worthy

Australian cricket selector Trevor Hohns launches vigorous defence of the under-fire Tim Paine
By Sam Worthington

Cricket Australia has launched a vigorous defence of Tim Paine's captaincy, claiming much of the criticism was "unfair" and "in poor taste."

CA's national teams boss Ben Oliver kicked things off after the Test squad to tour South Africa was unveiled, before selector Trevor Hohns doubled down on a Zoom call with reporters.

"Tim's leadership in our mind was never in question," Hohns said in the wake of a home series humbling against India which led to widespread debate over Paine's future.

"We did not spend a minute on Tim's leadership during our selection meeting.

"He's been a terrific leader of this Australian team through some pretty trying circumstances, since he's been in the top position.
"So I think Tim is has been unfairly criticised in this instance.

"Sure, we're all disappointed with the performance of the team and losing to India out here, that's very difficult to accept sometimes, but I think the criticism of Tim Paine has been totally unfair."

Before the India series, the 36-year-old Paine had generally been viewed as doing an excellent job in the wake of the damaging Sandpapergate scandal.

But he blotted his copybook and was forced to apologise for swearing at an umpire and then abusing India's Ravichandran Ashwin during a tense Sydney Test.

Who succeeds Paine is a massive headscratcher for selectors, with Steve Smith, Pat Cummins and Alex Carey all possibilities.

"With relation to Pat Cummins, yes he is the vice-captain and we don't have any doubt that in certain circumstances, Pat could certainly take over the reins if anything were to happen to Tim Paine in the short-term," Hohns said.

"We're always looking for leaders and trying, where and when the opportunity arises, to possible give somebody some experience.

"And over the last week or two there have been various names thrown up and let's face it, we've got to canvas all of those options and try to come up with a leader or a group of leaders – which is what we've tried to do over the last few years – to take Australian cricket forward."

Wade's dumping from the Test squad clears some air for Carey to cement himself as Paine's successor as wicketkeeper and potentially as captain too.

"Alex Carey's obviously been on our radar for some time," Hohns said.

"He's played limited overs cricket for us and we thought that was the ideal pathway for him to get to Test match level.

"Alex, over the last 18 months, has got better and better as a player so I think our thinking is reasonably clear there, without rubber stamping it, if I could put it that way."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/au...-22f3-4898-956a-be981ffcdc98?ocid=Social-WWOS

wtf is Trevor Hohns still around????

hineyrulz

Post Whore
This is cringe worthy

Australian cricket selector Trevor Hohns launches vigorous defence of the under-fire Tim Paine
By Sam Worthington

Cricket Australia has launched a vigorous defence of Tim Paine's captaincy, claiming much of the criticism was "unfair" and "in poor taste."

CA's national teams boss Ben Oliver kicked things off after the Test squad to tour South Africa was unveiled, before selector Trevor Hohns doubled down on a Zoom call with reporters.

"Tim's leadership in our mind was never in question," Hohns said in the wake of a home series humbling against India which led to widespread debate over Paine's future.

"He's been a terrific leader of this Australian team through some pretty trying circumstances, since he's been in the top position.

"Sure, we're all disappointed with the performance of the team and losing to India out here, that's very difficult to accept sometimes, but I think the criticism of Tim Paine has been totally unfair."

Before the India series, the 36-year-old Paine had generally been viewed as doing an excellent job in the wake of the damaging Sandpapergate scandal.

But he blotted his copybook and was forced to apologise for swearing at an umpire and then abusing India's Ravichandran Ashwin during a tense Sydney Test.

Who succeeds Paine is a massive headscratcher for selectors, with Steve Smith, Pat Cummins and Alex Carey all possibilities.

"With relation to Pat Cummins, yes he is the vice-captain and we don't have any doubt that in certain circumstances, Pat could certainly take over the reins if anything were to happen to Tim Paine in the short-term," Hohns said.

"We're always looking for leaders and trying, where and when the opportunity arises, to possible give somebody some experience.

"And over the last week or two there have been various names thrown up and let's face it, we've got to canvas all of those options and try to come up with a leader or a group of leaders – which is what we've tried to do over the last few years – to take Australian cricket forward."

Wade's dumping from the Test squad clears some air for Carey to cement himself as Paine's successor as wicketkeeper and potentially as captain too.

"He's played limited overs cricket for us and we thought that was the ideal pathway for him to get to Test match level.

"Alex, over the last 18 months, has got better and better as a player so I think our thinking is reasonably clear there, without rubber stamping it, if I could put it that way."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/au...-22f3-4898-956a-be981ffcdc98?ocid=Social-WWOS
Hohns was the same bloke who couldn’t wait to assassinate Steve Waugh, what a weapons grade f**kwit.

Honestly how did the old fossil worm his way back into the set up?? Seriously??

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Junior quit, Boof quit, some one left the door open.

I don't think anyone wanted the job
I find that very hard to believe. Hohns was washed up 20 years ago. He hasn’t played a competitive game in over 30 years WTF would he know about today’s game???

it’s embarrassing he has anything to do at all with CA’s set up.

Bazal

Post Whore
I find that very hard to believe. Hohns was washed up 20 years ago. He hasn’t played a competitive game in over 30 years WTF would he know about today’s game???

it’s embarrassing he has anything to do at all with CA’s set up.

I remember saying this and some boomers got shirty with me on here.

Spot on but. The dude is more out of touch than Elon Musk

TheParraboy

Staff member
The T20 squad is the BBL All Stars feat. Matthew Wade.

Not a bad thing

We did something similar early 2018 T20 tri series (before sandpaper gate tour)

Smith was rested, Warner captain with all in form guys from BBL

Destroyed both the kiwis and poms :sunglasses:

some11

Referee
This is cringe worthy

By Sam Worthington

These f**ks are lucky covid overshadows everything in the news.

A loss like that to india in previous years would have had weeks of fallout.