What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

goldiesaintz

Juniors
I think he will have a big year this year. Working behind a big pack and no Benji means no more excuses. You’ll know he’s in trouble when we start chasing Hunt! Desperate times!

We could throw in Norman if that would seal the deal.
Of course, we'd have to run it by Hook first, but you can wire the deposit while we're waiting.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons assistant coach Matthew Elliott reveals major change for Cameron McInness and Ben Hunt for 2021

Liam O'Loughlin
For the majority of last year, Cameron McInnes and Ben Hunt were switched to different positions more often than the St George Illawarra Dragons picked up wins.

Despite spending the majority of his career as a starting hooker, McInnes started eight games at lock forward and switched there a few other times during games.

Hunt was signed to the Red V as a halfback, coming off some strong years at Brisbane, but played eight games at hooker, four games from the bench and another two at five-eighth.

Talk about consistency.

This year however, things look set to change for two of the Dragons biggest stars, with new coach Anthony Griffin shaking things up in Wollongong.

Hunt is tipped to start the year in the No.7 jersey alongside Corey Norman in the halves, while McInnes will be returning to his regular position of dummy-half as the club move in a different position.

Speaking on SEN's Drive With Jimmy And Fletch, new assistant coach Matthew Elliott revealed that McInnes and Hunt had exclusively been training in their regular positions.

“He’s been at hooker Cam," he said.

“Ben (at hooker) – no. I don’t think anyone should be surprised about that either.

"Cam has trained excluvsely at hooker, and I tell you what his development in the position even in a short period of time has gone through the roof.

"I don’t know how well you know Anthony, but he has basically said to all players that there are no assured positions. Touch wood, we have got a really healthy squad.

"There is a lot of competition for spots, and the rear-vision mirror is full for every player."

The captain of the club in McInnes has been in the headlines lately, with the Dragons yet to offer him a deal for 2022 and have also reportedly been in talks with Broncos veteran Andrew McCullough.

This has led to mass speculation that McInnes could leave the club and potentially link up with a Sydney-based rival - however Elliott believes that won't be the case.

“Fortunately, I don’t have to make any of those decisions. I don’t really pay too much attention to that," he said.

"I was unaware there was even any speculation around that. The first I heard about it was an hour ago. He has been training unreal, and it’s the best-kept secret in the organisation if that’s what is going on.

"I don’t see anything other than Cam being at the Dragons for a long time.

“I’m not over that (McCullough reports) as well. Even if that was a reality, personally I don’t believe he would play over Cam to be honest with you."

Elliott had been out of the coaching game for quite some time, but will return alongside Peter Gentle to work with Griffin in an attempt to turn the struggling Dragons around.

The 56-year old spoke openly about his joy being back around coaching, and highlighted some of the younger players in the Dragons outfit who could impress in 2021.

“I go to work every day with a bunch of young people who want to get better – how’s that for a job? You don’t realise how rare that is until you’re not in that environment...it's pretty special," he said.

“My goodness – (Jackson Ford) is a guy that is very committed I must say. You can’t help but be fairly encouraged about his efforts that’s for sure. If the way he trains and his skillset is applied on the park, he is going to be one hell of a player.

“Cody Ramsey is coming for it so hard. He trains the house down. If you ask me who has been the most impressive of the young fellas, Cody Ramsey – even the boys would tell you that – he’d be hard to go around.

"Sully (Jayden Sullivan) is going to be a player of immense talent, there is no doubt about that. You’re going to hear that name in the future.

"And there’s a young guy called Junior Amone – write that name down, because you will be hearing plenty about that name in the future as well."

Ramsey is tipped to earn himself a spot on the wing for round 1, and perhaps even push fullback Matt Dufty for a spot in the Dragons outfit.

Rookie halves Sullivan and Amone won an SG Ball competition together in 2019, and both are destined for big things.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/new...on-mcinness-and-ben-hunt-for-2021/ar-BB1d9f0R

kit66

Bench
Dragons assistant coach Matthew Elliott reveals major change for Cameron McInness and Ben Hunt for 2021

Liam O'Loughlin
For the majority of last year, Cameron McInnes and Ben Hunt were switched to different positions more often than the St George Illawarra Dragons picked up wins.

Despite spending the majority of his career as a starting hooker, McInnes started eight games at lock forward and switched there a few other times during games.

Hunt was signed to the Red V as a halfback, coming off some strong years at Brisbane, but played eight games at hooker, four games from the bench and another two at five-eighth.

Talk about consistency.

This year however, things look set to change for two of the Dragons biggest stars, with new coach Anthony Griffin shaking things up in Wollongong.

Hunt is tipped to start the year in the No.7 jersey alongside Corey Norman in the halves, while McInnes will be returning to his regular position of dummy-half as the club move in a different position.

Speaking on SEN's Drive With Jimmy And Fletch, new assistant coach Matthew Elliott revealed that McInnes and Hunt had exclusively been training in their regular positions.

“Ben (at hooker) – no. I don’t think anyone should be surprised about that either.

"Cam has trained excluvsely at hooker, and I tell you what his development in the position even in a short period of time has gone through the roof.

"I don’t know how well you know Anthony, but he has basically said to all players that there are no assured positions. Touch wood, we have got a really healthy squad.

"There is a lot of competition for spots, and the rear-vision mirror is full for every player."

The captain of the club in McInnes has been in the headlines lately, with the Dragons yet to offer him a deal for 2022 and have also reportedly been in talks with Broncos veteran Andrew McCullough.

This has led to mass speculation that McInnes could leave the club and potentially link up with a Sydney-based rival - however Elliott believes that won't be the case.

“Fortunately, I don’t have to make any of those decisions. I don’t really pay too much attention to that," he said.

"I was unaware there was even any speculation around that. The first I heard about it was an hour ago. He has been training unreal, and it’s the best-kept secret in the organisation if that’s what is going on.

“I’m not over that (McCullough reports) as well. Even if that was a reality, personally I don’t believe he would play over Cam to be honest with you."

Elliott had been out of the coaching game for quite some time, but will return alongside Peter Gentle to work with Griffin in an attempt to turn the struggling Dragons around.

The 56-year old spoke openly about his joy being back around coaching, and highlighted some of the younger players in the Dragons outfit who could impress in 2021.

“I go to work every day with a bunch of young people who want to get better – how’s that for a job? You don’t realise how rare that is until you’re not in that environment...it's pretty special," he said.

“My goodness – (Jackson Ford) is a guy that is very committed I must say. You can’t help but be fairly encouraged about his efforts that’s for sure. If the way he trains and his skillset is applied on the park, he is going to be one hell of a player.

“Cody Ramsey is coming for it so hard. He trains the house down. If you ask me who has been the most impressive of the young fellas, Cody Ramsey – even the boys would tell you that – he’d be hard to go around.

"Sully (Jayden Sullivan) is going to be a player of immense talent, there is no doubt about that. You’re going to hear that name in the future.

"And there’s a young guy called Junior Amone – write that name down, because you will be hearing plenty about that name in the future as well."

Ramsey is tipped to earn himself a spot on the wing for round 1, and perhaps even push fullback Matt Dufty for a spot in the Dragons outfit.

Rookie halves Sullivan and Amone won an SG Ball competition together in 2019, and both are destined for big things.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/new...on-mcinness-and-ben-hunt-for-2021/ar-BB1d9f0R

It would be near impossible for us not to improve on last years abysmal efforts. We managed 12th on the ladder with a team that was different nearly every week, with our best players playing out of position and with the most clueless coaching squad ever assembled. Surely we can do better, surely we can achieve more success with a competent and proven ( and you'd think very driven ) coaching team and a healthy squad with enough depth to keep the incumbents on their toes given that every position has young, keen and talented replacements just dying for a chance. Hook has a lot to prove and after last year the boys too will need some redemption.
Underestimate us at your peril.

St Tangles

Bench
I am so looking forward to the local juniors in Ramsay, Ford, Sullivan and Amone come through. With Mary gone there is a good chance we will see more of these guys this year. I would be worried if I were Hunt and Dufty as Sullivan and Ramsey will be gunning for their positions.

100%

I'm looking forward to this year as I think it will start us heading in the right direction

By all means won't be an easy season but it will lay the foundations for the next 4 to 5 years if done correctly

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Liam O'Loughlin

Talk about consistency.

Makes you realise just how screwed up our coaching was last year when the “major shakeup” involves a halfback actually playing halfback and hooker actually playing hooker..

#maryball

Gippsy

Bench
Cam has trained excluvsely at hooker, and I tell you what his development in the position even in a short period of time has gone through the roof.

This is the comment that amazes me. Our far and away best player last year has improved "through the roof" training in his favoured position. Wow, don't tell me we now have coaching staff that can work on players deficiencies and improve their game. !!

Dragons4me

Juniors
I'm not expecting big things this year at all. We're very much in the rebuilding phase but ironically I'm more excited for the upcoming season than before. I've renewed my Kogarah seats from three years ago. I remember the Bath's babes era of the 70's. If I recall, similar situation where early expectation wasn't high but that didn't stop the players. Who knows what this year will bring? I'm with them. Can't help it. It's in my DNA. :rugby_football: :hearts: :rugby_football: :heart:

Maddragon99

Juniors

Liam O'Loughlin

Talk about consistency.

Fascinating year ahead, we will definitely improve but so will the Titans, Tigers, Warriors & maybe even Canterbury. Can’t wait!

Latest posts