What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farewell David Bolton

Gareth67

First Grade
Balmain half/ five-eighth the great Dave Bolton passed on the 21st of January.

I remember him as a real scheming English half who also had the ability of kicking some decent field goals . A player who talents went a long way in helping the Balmain Tigers win the 1969 Grand Final against the unbeatable South Sydney .

The game itself was totally controlled by the Tigers who went out with a game plan that included stalling tactics where a Tigers player would go to the ground apparently injured whenever the Rabbitohs were on the attack .
In those years play was halted when injuries occurred , however the magic water bottle that the Tigers had that day must had been full of holy water as everyone of them miraculously jumped back to their feet soon afterwards .

But that was a tremendous game of defense by the Balmain side who came away with an 11- 2 win .

Rest easy David . 68DF1A56-4B02-4FB5-9CB5-04CBAD3BACDB.jpeg

denis preston

First Grade
Great experienced player and not at his peak when he took up Balmains offer ( similar to what happens in reverse with players going to England nowadays ) but geez he gave them great service for the 3 or 4 years there and was pivotal to there success from 66 to 70.

Would have loved to see how Alex Murphy would go in Sydney league ( as one of the all time great half backs ) but the British were not letting him go no matter what and his wallet did very , very nicely as a result.

Old Timer

Coach
Balmain half/ five-eighth the great Dave Bolton passed on the 21st of January.

I remember him as a real scheming English half who also had the ability of kicking some decent field goals . A player who talents went a long way in helping the Balmain Tigers win the 1969 Grand Final against the unbeatable South Sydney .

The game itself was totally controlled by the Tigers who went out with a game plan that included stalling tactics where a Tigers player would go to the ground apparently injured whenever the Rabbitohs were on the attack .
In those years play was halted when injuries occurred , however the magic water bottle that the Tigers had that day must had been full of holy water as everyone of them miraculously jumped back to their feet soon afterwards .

But that was a tremendous game of defense by the Balmain side who came away with an 11- 2 win .

Rest easy David . View attachment 45523
A great footballer from the days when they laced up the front of their jerseys with a piece of cord.

He had a great step and swerve and of course the most wonderful accent and he was very polite and humble.

I met him a few times in the late 80's and he actually applied for a job with the company and with no disrespect he was already showing signs of the rigours and ill effects of playing the game in the era of the biff.

Very sad to see the passing of another great player from the era of my youth.

Gareth67

First Grade
Great experienced player and not at his peak when he took up Balmains offer ( similar to what happens in reverse with players going to England nowadays ) but geez he gave them great service for the 3 or 4 years there and was pivotal to there success from 66 to 70.

Would have loved to see how Alex Murphy would go in Sydney league ( as one of the all time great half backs ) but the British were not letting him go no matter what and his wallet did very , very nicely as a result.

A great footballer from the days when they laced up the front of their jerseys with a piece of cord.

He had a great step and swerve and of course the most wonderful accent and he was very polite and humble.

I met him a few times in the late 80's and he actually applied for a job with the company and with no disrespect he was already showing signs of the rigours and ill effects of playing the game in the era of the biff.

Very sad to see the passing of another great player from the era of my youth.

RIP David Bolton :beer:

Great days and great players whom could run rings around their counterparts of today .

I remember watching the game with my young mates who were Souths fans and the look on their faces was one of sheer misery , that made me so damn happy as I had picked the Tigers to upset the more fancied Rabbits .

It was the way that the Balmain side stuck to their guns that had me excited , more so in the last 15 minutes where it became increasingly obvious that Souths could not get through the Tigers defense .

Recall the way that the young Balmain side jumped with absolute joy at the final siren they had pulled of the impossible victory over a much vaunted South Sydney .

I would actually rank that in my top 10 G.F wins .

Inisai Toga

Juniors

Yes, part of arguably the greatest Great Britain side every to come here in 62

Dragon David

First Grade
Great days and great players whom could run rings around their counterparts of today .

I remember watching the game with my young mates who were Souths fans and the look on their faces was one of sheer misery , that made me so damn happy as I had picked the Tigers to upset the more fancied Rabbits .

It was the way that the Balmain side stuck to their guns that had me excited , more so in the last 15 minutes where it became increasingly obvious that Souths could not get through the Tigers defense .

Recall the way that the young Balmain side jumped with absolute joy at the final siren they had pulled of the impossible victory over a much vaunted South Sydney .

I would actually rank that in my top 10 G.F wins .
Agreed

Latest posts