What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG DIGICEL CUP 2021

yakstorm

First Grade
So it looks like the PNGRFL will announce the makeup of the 2021 Digicel Cup in the last week of January.

For 2022, New Ireland, Bouganville and Moresby South have all expressed interest.

Perth Tiger

Bench
The growth in this comp seems to be phenomenal. I get the feeling this comp be one of the top five comps, quality wise in the world very soon.

What effect are the expansion teams having? are they maintaining and improving the standards or are they diluting the talent a bit?

mikail-eagle

Bench
The growth in this comp seems to be phenomenal. I get the feeling this comp be one of the top five comps, quality wise in the world very soon.

What effect are the expansion teams having? are they maintaining and improving the standards or are they diluting the talent a bit?

I think 2 teams will definitely be added this year. Personally I think it will be the Sepik Pride will be added along with the return of the Chimbu Warriors.

All the expansion brought in new Talent so there wasn't much dilution.
And the last two (2) Teams that got added in 2019 (Central Dabari and Kimbe Cutters) improved on the debut year performances this year.
Both Teams have also added a few players to the Hunters squad for this year. These players wouldn't have had that opportunity without the inclusion of their Teams in the Digicel Cup.

yakstorm

First Grade
That's one of the most encouraging pieces with the Digicel Cup expansion, each of the franchises are drawing from new playing pools and not diluting the current Franchises.

With areas like Fly River, New Ireland and Bouganville all hoping to join, that trend can potentially continue.

mikail-eagle

Bench
There is no denying that movement of established Digicel Cup Players, Hunters and or ex-Hunters players does take place from 1 Digicel Cup Team to another.

There are some players who have played for more than 4 Digicel Cup Teams throughout their career already. But at the core, most clubs have 80%-90% of local representation within the teams.

mikail-eagle

Bench
And then there are Clubs like the Rabaul Gurias and Lae Tigers that everyone wants to play for.

Digicel Cup players from other Provinces have been know to pay their own way to Kokopo for a train and Trail with the Gurias. Some for the professionalism employed by the Gurias and a better life, while others see it as a short cut to the Hunters.

yakstorm

First Grade
Current teams plus potential expansion sides?

That's the most likely outcome, though the PNGRFL has revoked team franchise licensed before.

Mt Hagen were removed for 1 or 2 seasons due to local violence, and Simbu, who are one of the potential expansion teams, had their license revoked due to their inability to secure adequate external funding and I think some ground issues.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
That's the most likely outcome, though the PNGRFL has revoked team franchise licensed before.

Mt Hagen were removed for 1 or 2 seasons due to local violence, and Simbu, who are one of the potential expansion teams, had their license revoked due to their inability to secure adequate external funding and I think some ground issues.
Everything is in place for PNG to not only produce and supply the NRL with numerous kumuls each year but to also put PNG on the path towards becoming a tier 1 RL playing nation.

You’ve got the local&regional leagues supplying players for the digicel cup sides who in turn supply the hunters who supply the NRL, super league and possibly championship sides in England.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Looking very much like all of the Teams from last year will play on this year.

Although the Hela Wigmen and the Gulf Isou have been told that 2021 will be their final year to be based in Port Moresby. They will need to upgrade their facilities back in their Home Provinces and return there for 2022 or face exclusion.

The expansion teams vying for a spot this year is down to 3 Franchises.
1. Sepik Pride
2. Motu-Koita Lagatois
3. Simbu Warriors.

I think they will pick 2 Teams but at the moment its a toss of a coin who they will pick.
All 3 have their pros and cons.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Looking very much like all of the Teams from last year will play on this year.

Although the Hela Wigmen and the Gulf Isou have been told that 2021 will be their final year to be based in Port Moresby. They will need to upgrade their facilities back in their Home Provinces and return there for 2022 or face exclusion.

The expansion teams vying for a spot this year is down to 3 Franchises.
1. Sepik Pride
2. Motu-Koita Lagatois
3. Simbu Warriors.

I think they will pick 2 Teams but at the moment its a toss of a coin who they will pick.
All 3 have their pros and cons.
What province are the wigmen and Isou from ME?

what teams in your opinion would be best for expansion ME in terms of geographical spread and population centres?

mikail-eagle

Bench
what teams in your opinion would be best for expansion ME in terms of geographical spread and population centres?

If only on geographical spread then I would take the Sepik Pride first. Their inclusion would ensure that the Northern tip of PNG is now also covered. It would also open up a proper and easier pathway for players from the 3 Sepik Rugby League competitions in the townships of Wewak, Maprik and Vanimo.

The second team would really just be a coin toss but I would probably take the Simbu Warriors first only because it won't be another Port Moresby based Team.
And their inclusion would ensure that all 6 Highlands Provinces would have a Team. Their local Competition is also probably of a higher standard and there are Simbu Rugby League Players who have spread out to all the other Franchises since the Warriors were removed from the competition.
With a lot of these Players returning to the warriors a lot more spaces will open up in the other Teams as well.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Completion of this Stadium will most likely coincide with a Digicel Cup Bid from New Ireland Province for 2022.

https://www.thenational.com.pg/new-stadium-on-cards/

Stadium.jpg

New stadium on cards
January 27, 2021The NationalSports
Article Views : 0

CONSTRUCTION on the New Ireland multi-purpose stadium at the Kopkop showground in Kavieng is currently underway with the completion date for the sports venue scheduled for September.
Kavieng town mayor and New Ireland chairman for youth and sports, Sikal Kelep, said the construction for the K9.8 million stadium started last year with sports like rugby league, soccer and athletics to be hosted at the venue.
“We’re really looking forward to this stadium and what it can offer to our sporting bodies in the province,” he said.
“It’s going to be a first of its kind in the province and it will also be offering our people firsthand experience of what it will be like to play matches on what can be described as a high quality pitch.
“We’re already up by one big stadium that’s going to be completed soon and we’re hoping to get another for soccer but that’s in the pipeline.”
Kelep said the New Ireland administration wanted to place emphasis on sports and the stadium could also be a tool to attract bigger competitions or sporting events into the province.
New Ireland provincial administrator Lamiller Pawut said the stadium provided opportunities for local sports and business houses to expand with sporting activities hosted at the stadium having the potential to attract more visitors to the province.
The construction of the stadium is being undertaken by the China Railway Construction Engineering Group and will see the main stadium complex house change rooms, VIP boxes, offices and seating for spectators.

yakstorm

First Grade
Completion of this Stadium will most likely coincide with a Digicel Cup Bid from New Ireland Province for 2022.

You would think that New Ireland would almost be guaranteed a franchise in 2022 based upon all the work being done by the PNGRFL there.

New Governance structure, affiliation with the regional government, expansion of the Ipatas Cup there.

Throw in this article from Sandis late last year and it's all very Pro-NI.
https://www.thenational.com.pg/k9-8mil-stadium-for-new-ireland/

mikail-eagle

Bench
Nothing Official yet but looks like there will be no new Teams added this year 2021.

Not sure what the reasons are but will post an update once the official PNGNRLC press release is given out today.

Latest posts