What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RTS

Penrose_11

Juniors
The Blues rumour continues to grow legs. That’ll free up a truck load of coin for ‘22. Welcome home Chanze!!

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Really hope it isn’t true.

with that being said, with the money from RTS and others leaving this year we could probably pick up Charnz, Hughes and Brandon Smith

taste2taste

Juniors
Always a shame when an NRL star leaves for the other code.

As long as Origin is the pinnacle and Rugby has a more global game players will continue to leave.

Any predictions how RTS will go in Union ? I don't know enough about Rugby to make a prediction but I think he'll get frustrated at the lack of space and touch's he gets.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Pretty sure he played NZ Sec Schools rugby in his Otahuhu College days so he’d have a good handle on the game already. Unsure his position but think it was fullback. I think he’ll start off as a winger but think 2nd 5/8 might be a likely spot for him

Matiunz

Juniors
Always a shame when an NRL star leaves for the other code.

As long as Origin is the pinnacle and Rugby has a more global game players will continue to leave.

Any predictions how RTS will go in Union ? I don't know enough about Rugby to make a prediction but I think he'll get frustrated at the lack of space and touch's he gets.

Might struggle a bit, his natural position would be fullback or wing, however at 28 most players in those positions are past their prime. Also not sure if RTS has the kicking game required, there’s also a hell of a lot of talented youth coming through that would have more longevity.
Midfield could be an option but again age is against him and it is more of a physical busting the line and setting up your outsides type position which wouldn’t afford RTS the space he needs to shine.
It’d be a hell of a gamble for him if it’s even true

Cold Roses

Juniors
David Fusitua
Paul Turner
Rocco Berry

RTS is a big loss, no doubt. But he’s going to be what, 29? when/if he leaves? And we have some good options as long term replacements. Just need to develop them further somehow over the next 12 months.

Matua

Bench
David Fusitua
Paul Turner
Rocco Berry

RTS is a big loss, no doubt. But he’s going to be what, 29? when/if he leaves? And we have some good options as long term replacements. Just need to develop them further somehow over the next 12 months.
By develop you mean import an Aussie right?

Really hope it isn’t true.

with that being said, with the money from RTS and others leaving this year we could probably pick up Charnz, Hughes and Brandon Smith
Looking at the signings of the last 12 months how could you come to the conclusion the Warriors would pick up those three Kiwis?

I'm happy to see how he goes in rugby, to make a good fist of it he probably should have gone last year, but I think he's better prepared for a late age change than most.

Cold Roses

Juniors
By develop you mean import an Aussie right?

Hah! Yep. Sadly so.

Honestly though, If we can’t do something with those last 2 in particular then we may as well give up hope of ever winning the comp. Any other club would take those two and turn them into Firstgraders within 18 months.

TheDMC

Bench
I doubt his kicking game would be up to scratch at fullback to be an All Black, but if it is, that would definitely be his position. Not sure he would make the grade as winger for ABs and definitely not as midfielder. This sucks for the warriors. RTS still has some good years ahead and for us to be NRL champs in the next three or so years he has to be there.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Looking at the signings of the last 12 months how could you come to the conclusion the Warriors would pick up those three Kiwis?

I was meaning we would be able to afford 3 above average signings in key areas. Will we? Almost certainly not, but we’ve had a history of focusing on Kiwi players and with some of the great signings we’ve made for this year... yeah I guess anything’s possible.

Also, when you lose someone like RTS a bit of wishful thinking is about all we can manage at a time like this

SmashEmBro

Juniors
RTS in rugby is an interesting prospect too, as some have said, he hasn’t got the kicking game to be a full back, probably not the distribution game for centre either, and he’s probably wasted on the wing where the ABs have a lot of great prospects there.

Still, a hell of an athlete and I think he’ll push it. Maybe a bench utility role where he can fill all of those spots reasonably well without excelling at any

nswarrior

Juniors
Confirmed - live update on nzhearld

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck on his teammates: "They've been awesome and supporting me. I fronted them before. I wish we could've announced it proper and let them know first in a proper way but the boys have been awesome ... I'm all in with them this year."

Nathan Brown: "Sport is very transient ... we need to get the club to the stage where we're developing players and if we can't replace him, we need to be able to attract players from the market. That's the challenge for the club."

spear tackle

Juniors
I'm not upset to see him go, I'm surprised he didn't go sooner. He put so much effort into his games and always gives it his all, its too bad there were a few passengers around him.
Teams evolve and he has seen out his contract so hope he does well because he certainly provided some great moments.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Retaining Tohu becomes pretty key for this year now. We simply can’t lose both in the same year.

It’s sad because RTS is a great player and he’ll be missed, but jeeze if anyone’s put in for us year on year out, and I’m happy for the club to accomodate, it’s this guy. True champion of a bloke and it sucks that up until now the team hasn’t been able to give him what he deserves.

Really hope we send him off on a good note and make it deep into the finals

shiznit

Coach
I think he will start on the wing then drift into fullback eventually.

His lack of kicking game that everyone is mentioning is waaaay overblown IMO...

there have been plenty of successful fullbacks who haven’t had the greatest kicking games. All you really need to be able to do is clear... which isn’t really too difficult and I’m pretty confident RTS would already be able to do that m.

Jason Robinson, Tuqiri, Folau, had practically no kicking games... Christian Cullen was probably the best I’ve ever seen and he didn’t have much of one either... I think Roger may well be similar to him.

In the AB’s system these days Beudie usually drop’s back to fullback anyway so it’s not as important as people think.

the key for him early will be positional play... which is why they will start him out on the wing I think.

he will do well I think... as long as he perseveres and doesn’t get disheartened if it takes him time... Benji didn’t have the patience to tough it out... Brad Thorn stuck with it and ended up playing his best rugby at the end of his Rugby career.

he’s gonna take a pay cut though... and he’s gonna have a shitload of competition as NZR is loaded with talent.

good luck to him...

JJ

Immortal
Sad...

interesting at the other end, I’m sure he’ll be fine, but not sure he’ll be as elite in union as he is in league... could end up in mid field

Latest posts