What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes

Who’s the better dummyhalf for ‘22 & ‘23?

• Cameron McInnes

Votes: 46 54.8%
  • Ben Hunt

Votes: 38 45.2%

• Total voters

Dragons22

Juniors
I never thought I’d be writing this.
But getting rid of McGregor when the club did was a big mistake. Young had no idea and the club lost games to low opponents and got smashed. Finals hopes easily crushed.
Then they appoint Griffin who has a tough approach that gets people off guard and already has with McInnes, and maybe even more.

Now I know Mary isn’t a popular guy on here. And I’m sure he himself would even admit he’s not a top notch coach. But he has passion, he cares and he loves his players. And I am confident not one player he coached during his time at the club had a problem with him. In 7 years not a problem. And that’s his job. He shouldn’t be looking to create tension with players. It’s his job to work with the team.

We have a coach now who hasn’t even been here for a year and has already ruffled feathers with a player, the most important player. Griffin hasn’t even respected the club captain enough, he gave up and tried pursuing players who are far less superior to Cam and much older. Griffin has caught Cam offside and his leadership style is to give up on him.
It seems clear to me as well that the board didn’t even consult the players for replacing Mary and made yet another terrible decision as the club so often does.
You watch Dufty go to Cronulla too.
And how disrespectful of Griffin to go to his mate Hadley to attack McInnes. How low.

And let’s not forget that flop Millward made all recruitment decisions from 2017 onwards, and he couldn’t even select his team at times.

My point is. We all thought the McGregor period of 2014-2020 was the worst. I’m afraid the next few years will be even worse. The roster is far worse, and now we have a coach who has in the past and already, has caught players and eventually his team off guard.

This hopeless board should have kept Mary for 2021 and then handed over to Flanagan.

Dea

Juniors
Interesting comments from Hook. https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2021-cameron-mcinnes-contract-future-st-george-illawarra-dragons-anthony-griffin/news-story/99a032742b67c8aec3ea7ea0b6bac5d5

C
am asked to test the market before Hook arrived. Reads like he made the decision to go before seeing what things would be like once Hook arrived. I wonder if he came back and gave the Dragons the opportunity to match/beat the offer? Or maybe his stance on supporting Mary as “the better coach” :)rofl::rofl::rofl:) simply puts him in the place where he needs to be moved on and the club let him go? When your Captain isn’t featured in any pre-season promos there is something wrong in house. Thanks for playing Cam, but it’s time to go.

Kylez3

Juniors
Maybe Mcinness saw Hook's gameplan from his time at the Panthers...

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F08%2F14%2F07%2F01%2FNote_140818_env.jpg

thebigredv

First Grade
I get that you can find flaw with Cam's lofted opinion of a very poor coach who simply couldn't get results, but you cannot refute that he plays with the grit, aggression, and down right hard work that has been absent in most the rest of the team. His statistics are fantastic each week. The most consistent player the wear the jersey in recent memory.

It's a conflicting one for Dragons fans because we will miss that but maybe him leaving is what we need to get rid of the Mary stench for good. It has hung around our club too long, suffocating us all.

If Hook is laying down the law then far be it for us to object to it. We need a change of culture.

We must have a busload of money free now and into next season - sure we can do better than McCullough, I mean I find it an ok stop gap measure but not much else.

Dragons22

Juniors
Not one player eh? Does Tyson Frizzell ring any bells for you? He had jumped ship long before McDud got the flick.

Funniest Post of the year (so far).
Frizzell never had an issue with Mary as a coach. He wanted to go to a club that was in a better position to win a premiership. And you cannot tell me this mess of a club now that cannot even re-sign their own captain and best player is a better shot of winning a premiership.
Frizzell would have left if Griffin was coaching too.

I was never a fan of Mary and wanted him out for some time. But, on reflection, they way the club handled it was stupid. They sack him in the middle of a season which blunted any hopes of finals with L plate Young in charge. Then they have to pay him out.
Should have kept Mary for 2021 and then handed over to Flanno in 2022, who unlike Griffin, is a premiership winner.
The club is already paying for getting rid of those 2. McInnes out the door. You watch Dufty go next too.

Dea

Juniors
I never thought I’d be writing this.
But getting rid of McGregor when the club did was a big mistake. Young had no idea and the club lost games to low opponents and got smashed. Finals hopes easily crushed.
Then they appoint Griffin who has a tough approach that gets people off guard and already has with McInnes, and maybe even more.

Now I know Mary isn’t a popular guy on here. And I’m sure he himself would even admit he’s not a top notch coach. But he has passion, he cares and he loves his players. And I am confident not one player he coached during his time at the club had a problem with him. In 7 years not a problem. And that’s his job. He shouldn’t be looking to create tension with players. It’s his job to work with the team.

We have a coach now who hasn’t even been here for a year and has already ruffled feathers with a player, the most important player. Griffin hasn’t even respected the club captain enough, he gave up and tried pursuing players who are far less superior to Cam and much older. Griffin has caught Cam offside and his leadership style is to give up on him.
It seems clear to me as well that the board didn’t even consult the players for replacing Mary and made yet another terrible decision as the club so often does.
You watch Dufty go to Cronulla too.
And how disrespectful of Griffin to go to his mate Hadley to attack McInnes. How low.

And let’s not forget that flop Millward made all recruitment decisions from 2017 onwards, and he couldn’t even select his team at times.

My point is. We all thought the McGregor period of 2014-2020 was the worst. I’m afraid the next few years will be even worse. The roster is far worse, and now we have a coach who has in the past and already, has caught players and eventually his team off guard.

This hopeless board should have kept Mary for 2021 and then handed over to Flanagan.

You lost me in the opening “getting rid of McGregor was a mistake.”
This isn’t Hooks doing. Cam decided to go to the open market before Hook arrived. Cam was so connected to McGregor that it would not have mattered who came after him. As club captain he should of been on the front foot, in the media and vocal about the good to come. Instead, he apparently made comments on how much better a coach McGregor was. If you are not travelling with the team, get off the bus.

Dragons22

Juniors
Don’t forget B Moz
I think you guys are mistaking my post for a defence for Mary.
It’s not.
The point is the club stuffed up in the long-term when they sacked Mary in August of 2020 and eventually replaced him with Griffin.
2021 is a massive write-off. McInnes is gone and with that the team won’t be playing well this year. Bottom 4 for sure. The roster had gotten worse as well, the worst since Price’s 2013/ 2014 roster.
2021 might very well have been a write-off with Mary too.
Then you hand over to a premiership winning coach in Shane Flanagan in 2022.
You keep McInnes and Dufty, the 2 best players.
With Griffin, the club has lost McInnes, and will lose Dufty.
The club has stuffed up the next few years.

Dragons22

Juniors
You lost me in the opening “getting rid of McGregor was a mistake.”
This isn’t Hooks doing. Cam decided to go to the open market before Hook arrived. Cam was so connected to McGregor that it would not have mattered who came after him. As club captain he should of been on the front foot, in the media and vocal about the good to come. Instead, he apparently made comments on how much better a coach McGregor was. If you are not travelling with the team, get off the bus.

McInnes did have great relationship with Mary. What I’m saying the club should have done was: kept Mary for 2021, which would have kept McInnes and Dufty, and then handed over to Flanno in 2022.
Flanno had a great relationship with the players as well (particularly Dufty and McInnes) and as a premiership winning coach, he’d attract too players, unlike the dead wood Griffin wants.

redv13

Bench
I think you guys are mistaking my post for a defence for Mary.
It’s not.
The point is the club stuffed up in the long-term when they sacked Mary in August of 2020 and eventually replaced him with Griffin.
2021 is a massive write-off. McInnes is gone and with that the team won’t be playing well this year. Bottom 4 for sure. The roster had gotten worse as well, the worst since Price’s 2013/ 2014 roster.
2021 might very well have been a write-off with Mary too.
Then you hand over to a premiership winning coach in Shane Flanagan in 2022.
You keep McInnes and Dufty, the 2 best players.
With Griffin, the club has lost McInnes, and will lose Dufty.
The club has stuffed up the next few years.
Sure mate. The club should have kept McGregor for 2021 and handed over to Flanagan in 2022. Were you living on Mars in 2019 and 2020?? I disagree with you about Griffin. Every article and video over the off season shows the players training their asses off and many players stating the change of coaching staff has been refreshing, hardly Griffin being a tool. The only whinging so far over the off season has been Dufty ( f**king standard for the little turd ) and McInnes. Other than that everyone else has been bouncing around raring for a big 2021.

Belta

Juniors
I get that you can find flaw with Cam's lofted opinion of a very poor coach who simply couldn't get results, but you cannot refute that he plays with the grit, aggression, and down right hard work that has been absent in most the rest of the team. His statistics are fantastic each week. The most consistent player the wear the jersey in recent memory.

It's a conflicting one for Dragons fans because we will miss that but maybe him leaving is what we need to get rid of the Mary stench for good. It has hung around our club too long, suffocating us all.

If Hook is laying down the law then far be it for us to object to it. We need a change of culture.

We must have a busload of money free now and into next season - sure we can do better than McCullough, I mean I find it an ok stop gap measure but not much else.

Yep, like most I’m very disappointed but I don’t see Cam leaving as a be all and end all. It looks like we are seeing some collateral damage from all the internal changes and I can live with that. Atleast, finally we are seeing change. As far as losing Cam, who has been the backbone of a disappointing period, I honestly think he is not irreplaceable. I think of Canberra. They had been severely hampered wIthout their captain, Hodgson. I don’t see us being as in that same boat. IMO we are still searching for a complete player to take charge and steer the side around.

boardlumps62

Juniors
No way should we have kept McGregor. Nothing was going to change so we had to go for a new coach. See what he can do if no improvement find another. It will be an interesting year.

Latest posts