What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes

Who’s the better dummyhalf for ‘22 & ‘23?

• Cameron McInnes

Votes: 46 54.8%
  • Ben Hunt

Votes: 38 45.2%

• Total voters
It’s an appalling decision and he’s been poorly advised.

He might end up at the Sharks and hate it even more. They all say sweet things when they are trying to lure you in.

I was hoping he was going to be a noble exception to the rules, someone we could look up to etc, but he’s turned into just another f**king mercenary self flogging grommet.

Hes gone from hero to zero overnight.

If Mary loves the club, he will have a word to the scoundrel.

Cam is a complete dickhead. He can go and get ..........

dragon thomo

Juniors
If McInnes has signed with Cronulla he needs to go now. He has been dooming since McGregor was sacked.
Let’s try and get a swap and get him out of the club.
Hunt to hooker.
Sullivan and Norman to the halves.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
article re McInnes

"He can play lock equally as well as he can play dummy half and that versatility, especially in the modern game, is very attractive to our club. Cameron has been brought mainly to play lock and will complement Blayke Brailey at hooker in a potent 9 and 13 combination that should have all Sharks fans very excited.

we cant take that on for 4 years
good luck to Cam he has given 150% but there are better locks and there are compareble hookers

thebigredv

First Grade
We need to be less concerned with Cameron and more concerned about the DRAGONS and who is a adequate replacement to take our club forward. Two of the best hookers going around are currently without a confirmed spot elsewhere. make something happen, let McInness do as he pleases. Great player but obviously still taking advice from the sacked one.

blacksafake

First Grade
Bar his heart, I don’t know where this tag of ‘world class’ is coming from. He’s above average at best in his best position and the more I think about it he looked good in the McFail years because he was about the only player putting in for the coach. Imagine a team who collectively buy into the plan, and I think that’s the biggest point here.. if he wants to sook and not give his all he can bugger off. Although I don’t approve of the potential purchase Mccollough can also make 45-50 tackles a game and offer very little in attack so we haven’t lost much
Mcollough also has a kicking game, unlike McInnes.

thebigredv

First Grade
Another captain departs

very disappointing, however best he leave now where possible

Out of convenience he will just stick around for another year. Love it. I think this is going to be one of those rebuilding years where we can kiss away any chance of actually competing. Havent seen anything to suggest otherwise.

kit66

Bench
I never thought I’d be writing this.
But getting rid of McGregor when the club did was a big mistake. Young had no idea and the club lost games to low opponents and got smashed. Finals hopes easily crushed.
Then they appoint Griffin who has a tough approach that gets people off guard and already has with McInnes, and maybe even more.

Now I know Mary isn’t a popular guy on here. And I’m sure he himself would even admit he’s not a top notch coach. But he has passion, he cares and he loves his players. And I am confident not one player he coached during his time at the club had a problem with him. In 7 years not a problem. And that’s his job. He shouldn’t be looking to create tension with players. It’s his job to work with the team.

We have a coach now who hasn’t even been here for a year and has already ruffled feathers with a player, the most important player. Griffin hasn’t even respected the club captain enough, he gave up and tried pursuing players who are far less superior to Cam and much older. Griffin has caught Cam offside and his leadership style is to give up on him.
It seems clear to me as well that the board didn’t even consult the players for replacing Mary and made yet another terrible decision as the club so often does.
You watch Dufty go to Cronulla too.
And how disrespectful of Griffin to go to his mate Hadley to attack McInnes. How low.

And let’s not forget that flop Millward made all recruitment decisions from 2017 onwards, and he couldn’t even select his team at times.

My point is. We all thought the McGregor period of 2014-2020 was the worst. I’m afraid the next few years will be even worse. The roster is far worse, and now we have a coach who has in the past and already, has caught players and eventually his team off guard.

This hopeless board should have kept Mary for 2021 and then handed over to Flanagan.

What a load of crap.
A couple of points -
I agree with you that the timing of McGregors' sacking was wrong - it should have happened about 3 years ago.
McInnes told the club he'd be testing the market before Hook was made coach. That's why we now have to get another Hooker as insurance against McInnes up and leaving.
McInnes is not our most important player.
Who cares if Mary was liked by some players, 7 years with zero results and a perfectly fine roster is not acceptable. Three finals appearances are you serious ?
Do you want a Robbie Farrah type situation where one player thinks he's more important than everyone else, including the coach, and stirring sh*t up ( and McInnes is no Farrar on the field btw ).
Millward got us the players to get us to a grand final in 2018, Mary wasted the opportunity, spectacularly.
If I were you I wouldn't put money on 2021-2 being worse than the previous two years. It's virtually impossible.
If you think we can't live without McInnes you're wrong, no player is irreplaceable. We won games with Hunt at dummy half, we even played one of our best attacking games last year with Isaac Luke and BB out there with no McInnes ( round 2 against a rampaging Penrith pack - Luke actually helped Norman play one of his best games. We lost by a goal or 2 but it was 5 tries a piece and we bombed a sitter. )

I like McInnes, he's very handy and leads by example but he doesn't win us games, he doesn't pull our arses out of the fire when we're behind. Dufty does.

Last edited:

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
McInnes did have great relationship with Mary. What I’m saying the club should have done was: kept Mary for 2021, which would have kept McInnes and Dufty, and then handed over to Flanno in 2022.
Flanno had a great relationship with the players as well (particularly Dufty and McInnes) and as a premiership winning coach, he’d attract too players, unlike the dead wood Griffin wants.

And how well did “playing for the boys” go? We’ve needed a hardass for years that isn’t going to put up with this kind of petty tripe, not someone that pats you on the back after a12th place finish

Dragsters

First Grade
I was still clinging to the hope that this was just a media beat up.

Disappointing to see him go, and I don’t want to get wrapped up in the gossip and speculation about the reasons for his departure. But it might be in the best interests of everyone if he goes immediately and we can all move on.

Agreed, but if he is to stay as the headline suggests then Hook needs to just plug him into lock, get our 50 tackles out if him and that's it.

We need to move forward with a spine that want to be here.

Throw the bank at B Smith and see how he reacts to it...

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
I’m not saying be mates with the players. But have respect for them and a good and positive relationship with them.
Griffin lost the entire dressing room at Penrith in 2018.
Mary wasn’t a top coach, I know that. But getting rid of Mary in August 2020 got rid of McInnes before a game was even played in 2021.
This season will be a massive flop. You watch.
The timing of McGrexit was wrong. Should have done it at the end of this season and handed over to Shane Flanagan. And McInnes and Dufty would have stayed.
This club is on the slide down.

You’re writing this year off, yet wanted to hang onto McFail for another year then pass on to a bloke who cheated his way to a grand final? Imagine the flack after all these failed years for us to turn to a cheater? Beyond loony..

possm

Coach
I was still clinging to the hope that this was just a media beat up.

Disappointing to see him go, and I don’t want to get wrapped up in the gossip and speculation about the reasons for his departure. But it might be in the best interests of everyone if he goes immediately and we can all move on.
I'm very disappointed that right now it seems that McInnes is staying on until the end of this season. Surely Griffin won't want that now that Cam's opinions have been made public.

SBD82

Coach
Agreed, but if he is to stay as the headline suggests then Hook needs to just plug him into lock, get our 50 tackles out if him and that's it.

We need to move forward with a spine that want to be here.

Throw the bank at B Smith and see how he reacts to it...
I’m still a bit dirty on B Smith for his grubbiness last time we played. Would probably change my tune on him pretty quickly if he was in a Red V though.

I’m nothing if not fickle.

kit66

Bench
McInnes did have great relationship with Mary. What I’m saying the club should have done was: kept Mary for 2021, which would have kept McInnes and Dufty, and then handed over to Flanno in 2022.
Flanno had a great relationship with the players as well (particularly Dufty and McInnes) and as a premiership winning coach, he’d attract too players, unlike the dead wood Griffin wants.

How do you know McInnes and Dufty would stay " because of Mary " ? Mary kept dropping them or moving them and gave them no guarantees or confidence in their preferred positions whatsoever.
And if it were the case why weren't they re-signed already or at least given offers ?

SBD82

Coach
I'm very disappointed that right now it seems that McInnes is staying on until the end of this season. Surely Griffin won't want that now that Cam's opinions have been made public.
Write me a team list poss. I could use some cheering up.