What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes

Who’s the better dummyhalf for ‘22 & ‘23?

• Cameron McInnes

Votes: 46 54.8%
  • Ben Hunt

Votes: 38 45.2%

• Total voters

Old Timer

Coach
Unlikely he's lost it this early. What we have is a pissed player being sooky and kicking stones. Then leaves to spite the club.
What you have is a player that wanted an offer form the club & didn't get one so the took the early opportunity to secure his next 4 years.

Nothing wrong with that from either party.

Young Host was in exactly that same position wanted an offer didn't get one so left the club he loved to secure his future.

Crush

Coach
To be fair there were some on here that won’t be surprised by this news. I predicted it some time ago.

This is purely an analytic driven decision his money can be better spent elsewhere, Hunt to 9 then Sullivan & either Clune or Amone to take over the halves from 2022.

For mine McInnes has been a fabulous player, whole hearted clubman, he’s just another victim of the ridiculous Hunt contract.
Is that you Frank?

My take on this is that Cam spat the dummy after McGregor was shown the door and made the decision to leave the club at that point.

He had another year left on his contract yet decided he needed to finalise a new contract before the new season started.

Cam was one of the few players that gave it his all week in week out.

Disappointed the captain walked the plank without giving the new coaching group an opportunity to work with him.

I respect his right to sign elsewhere.

We will miss his defence.

Time to give Billy Britain and Hayden Lomax an opportunity in the trials to stake their claim to the 9 jersey.

If they fail to impress, Ben Hunt to 9.

McCulloch and Peats, no thanks we don’t need them.

If Hunt plays 9, Clune to 7 with Sullivan and Amone as back ups.

Gareth67

First Grade
Great post.

Anyone ever left a job cos you didn’t like the boss? I have. So has McInnes now.

Hurts and it sucks but new players come along.

This is exactly how pissed I was when Holmes left to play NFL. f**k him but your club is bigger than one guy.

I’d be more pissed that your club management tried to bribe you all with the Folau news on the exact same day so you can shake it off quicker.

Thanks Goblin shame that you are a Sharkie fan but then again we all can’t be perfect .:relaxed:

As far as Folau is concerned I wouldn’t worry about it too much as the chances are those Rorters will probably put in a last minute bid for his services - they do have a spare $350k to play with you know .

blacksafake

First Grade
McInnes most likely decided to leave as soon as L plate was given the ar*e & before Hook arrived.
John Morris said on the radio they met before Xmas where McInnes agreed to sign.
The shifty bugger & his manager then decided to leak to the press meeting Madge & using them to suit their needs. I wonder what Madge thinks about that.
It’s disappointing losing him but it’s not really a huge loss looking at the big picture.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say Jack Bird (who has played 17 games in the last 3 years) is a slightly bigger risk than McInnis (who has played 93 games in the last 4 years),
Bird’s injuries are public knowledge though..

Let’s just hope for the sharkies sake they had a returns policy included in Cam’s contract..

BLM01

First Grade
Gents we need to look at the real story. Cam was gone the minute he started kicking stones over McGregor.
Don’t get me wrong I like the bloke but he was one dimensional for me. Albeit he did so many tackles and listened to a moronic game plan.
If you think this sharks deal just popped up your kidding yourself. The club did not put forward any offer to him as he had told them he will not be re signing.
Say what you want about Hook but he is what we need right now. Time will tell but the guy can coach. I think his plan is Hunt to 9 and the young halves coming through to be groomed this year.
Look he may be sour at times but I remember a game in 2018 where we were flying and his panthers coached side dismantled us with ease.
Time will tell but I think we need to take in all the shit talk about Cam and how we didn’t offer a deal and let see what happens when we kick off. For fkd sake McGregor had to make comment on the herald about Cams departure. Bet he said it with glee. The poison chalice he is

Yes and I am not convinced as many in the media would have you think that the Cam presentation of his jersey to Mary at his last game showed that Mary was loved and had the backing of the whole playing group.
Cam took it upon himself as captain to do what he felt he wanted to.

BLM01

First Grade
Gents we need to look at the real story. Cam was gone the minute he started kicking stones over McGregor.
Don’t get me wrong I like the bloke but he was one dimensional for me. Albeit he did so many tackles and listened to a moronic game plan.
If you think this sharks deal just popped up your kidding yourself. The club did not put forward any offer to him as he had told them he will not be re signing.
Say what you want about Hook but he is what we need right now. Time will tell but the guy can coach. I think his plan is Hunt to 9 and the young halves coming through to be groomed this year.
Look he may be sour at times but I remember a game in 2018 where we were flying and his panthers coached side dismantled us with ease.
Time will tell but I think we need to take in all the shit talk about Cam and how we didn’t offer a deal and let see what happens when we kick off. For fkd sake McGregor had to make comment on the herald about Cams departure. Bet he said it with glee. The poison chalice he is
Of course the SMH. They are the ones that hate Hook courtesy of Gus & Webster.

BLM01

First Grade
Disgruntled Dragons skipper sensationally signs with NRL arch rival on MASSIVE deal
Dragons
james_hooper.jpg

• February 2, 2021 11:27am
  • James Hooper
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
337d6fbd05c2c5d185e92d12524c73ea

Cameron McInnes will leave the Dragons.Source: Getty Images
The Cronulla Sharks have landed a shock left-field blow over arch-rivals St George Illawarra with Dragons captain Cameron McInnes set to join the black, white and blue in 2022.

Fox Sports has learned McInnes informed St George Illawarra on Tuesday he has signed a four-year deal with Dragons local derby rivals Cronulla until the end of 2025.

The surprise move ends a month of headlines around the future of the Red V captain as new Dragons coach Anthony Griffin pursues Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough for this season.

The McInnes four-year deal with the Sharks is believed to be worth around the $2.4 million mark.

Ex-Sharks coach Shane Flanagan is said to have given McInnes a huge rap after spending 2020 as an assistant coach at St George Illawarra.

McInnes told Dragons general manager of football Ben Haran about the Sharks deal on Tuesday morning and was set to tell the Red V playing group after that.

The next question for new Dragons coach Griffin will now centre around whether McInnes remains as captain of the Red V this year or if St George Illawarra go in a different direction.

The most logical option is the Dragons will go with either Ben Hunt or Tariq Sims.

St George Illawarra are adamant they will not let McInnes depart a year early - meaning he will play 2021 for the Dragons.

McInnes has won the Dragons medal as the Red V’s best player for the past two consecutive seasons but was also extremely close to previous Dragons coach Paul McGregor.

Once new coach Griffin arrived, McInnes requested permission to test his value on the open market and the Dragons decided to pursue experienced Broncos hooker McCullough.

Reading between the lines there was always something going on with McInnes once Griffin stepped in at the helm.

No one suspected the Sharks were in the running for his signature given the club already has young gun local junior hooker Blayke Brailey on their books.

But McInnes offers tremendous versatility as a small middle forward or dummy-half and was chasing a four-year contract.

The Sharks have come to the party and trumped the Wests Tigers, who were another club monitoring the McInnes situation.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/f74cae9b615a717e505c542ddc8a1fcd
Mr Hooper..what happened to the Tigers deal.
You are the disgruntled one.. it seems

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Definitely not..

I was being empathetic for you guys..

There’s a reason he wasn’t resigned, and it wasn’t attitude..
He wanted to play footy in September?
Geez he looks like he was busted in the training photos just 4 days ago.

Last edited:

It seems like there were very few people in your league universe that thought Mary could coach but McIness was a card carrying disciple.

I don’t mean to rude, but based on results and decisions, that was not the best call and I fear it was emotion and mateship over reality.

We all saw Mary choking up at press conferences when his name was mentioned while Friz had to tough it out at the conferences when he had a bad game.

Hook will decide when players play and in what position. Blessed by the board and Webby.

And let’s be honest, the shake up is overdue. Players generally got worse under Mary. Hunt, Norman Vaughn, Aitken...

Why couldn’t Cam see the big picture?

Why was he blubbering and in tears on Marys last day? It was unhealthy.

The club was dying, he was captain, he should have sensed the havoc and how you guys felt.

Mary had better back the club in all this.

Last edited: