What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Peter V'landys vows to bring back all three grades on footy game day.

T-Boon

Coach
It is good that PV is thinking/talking about wanting to improve the game day experience and tribalism and therefore crowds, but I am with the majority here who thinks this idea will end up being a waste of time. The good news is it won't last long. The national under 20s did not improve crowds or have any other benefits. Three grades is not going to work, especially in this environment of players changing clubs so easily and readily. There are a bunch of other ways to improve gameday experience and tribalism that will work better (such as improving the game which he is also trying to do with his rule changes to fix what coaches have royally screwed).

Someone mentioned it but reserves finished and ten minutes later Firsts began.

It’s when the time in between Reserves and Firsts blew out to 30+ minutes that the disconnect began.

Frailty

First Grade
I remember the packed crowds with the 20s before first grade.... right?

I know all professional sports around the world have lower grades play directly before the top tier game.... right?

I get the nostolgia, but practically they got rid of this for a reason.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I remember the packed crowds with the 20s before first grade.... right?

I know all professional sports around the world have lower grades play directly before the top tier game.... right?

I get the nostolgia, but practically they got rid of this for a reason.

yeh, money, and how many people want it back ?

its not gonna happen for every game every week due to the interstate teams and some of their lower grades play in local comps, or have feeder clubs

even if it happens now and then, when is the last time some of you guys got to watch you Matts or Ball teams play ?

its a great afternoon out watching the lower grades imo

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
yeh, money, and how many people want it back ?

its not gonna happen for every game every week due to the interstate teams and some of their lower grades play in local comps, or have feeder clubs

even if it happens now and then, when is the last time some of you guys got to watch you Matts or Ball teams play ?

its a great afternoon out watching the lower grades imo
What do they "want back"?

People who "want it back" haven't been going to games, otherwise they'd know it was always happening. Penrith and Newcastle have been doing it regularly, the Eels had Wenty and their Flegg team at Bankwest multiple times in 2019. It's not a new concept. V'Landys is bragging about aligning draws that already align.

Like I said, some 54 matches of NRL in 2019 had a NSW Cup or QLD Cup curtain raiser - many of those also had Flegg before them (triple headers), and then there were others with Flegg or Qld Colts as the curtain raiser.

As far as I know Ball and Matts have rarely been curtain raisers outside of the odd NRL trial matches. Primarily because the comp is already half over before the NRL season kicks off.

Delboy

First Grade
Timmah you exaggerate when staring that Wenty played at Bankwest numerous times in 2019, I went to every game and am struggling to remember more than 2 games . Wenty were not comfortable in moving games and given the NSWRL schedule most games didn’t match up.

Dont think I’m wrong, but could be I guess.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Timmah you exaggerate when staring that Wenty played at Bankwest numerous times in 2019, I went to every game and am struggling to remember more than 2 games . Wenty were not comfortable in moving games and given the NSWRL schedule most games didn’t match up.

Dont think I’m wrong, but could be I guess.
It was 4 home and 1 away, 5 all up (so I'm comfortable saying "multiple times" for them).

R6 (Easter Mon) v Wests
R8 Sunday v St Geo Illa
R17 Sunday v Wests (away)
R19 Saturday v Warriors
R21 Saturday v Newie

Eels Flegg played alongside NRL a few times too:
R2 Sunday v Dogs (away, ANZ)
R3 Friday v Roosters (ANZ)
R21 Saturday v Newie (Bankwest - triple header)
R23 Thursday v Dogs (Bankwest)

Diesel

Referee
It’s only for games on Saturday and Sunday... 5 NRL games a weekend will have two curtain-raisers. I don’t see what the issue is

The Great Dane

First Grade
No interest in broadcasting lower tier comps? Games from these comps were broadcast in 2019.
I meant they have no interest in broadcasting an NRL reserve grade that starts before the game.

They couldn't feasibly broadcast it live anyway. It'd clash with their NRL broadcasts.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It was 4 home and 1 away, 5 all up (so I'm comfortable saying "multiple times" for them).

R6 (Easter Mon) v Wests
R8 Sunday v St Geo Illa
R17 Sunday v Wests (away)
R19 Saturday v Warriors
R21 Saturday v Newie

Eels Flegg played alongside NRL a few times too:
R2 Sunday v Dogs (away, ANZ)
R3 Friday v Roosters (ANZ)
R21 Saturday v Newie (Bankwest - triple header)
R23 Thursday v Dogs (Bankwest)
Yeah and how many times did Mounties play in Canberra, once, twice, maybe three times.
Now imagine the impact it would have had on the Mounties if they were required to play most of their games in Canberra...

That's where the problem is, as it's going to kill all the clubs that affiliate with NRL clubs, and kill any hope their was of new clubs starting up with that model.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If it’s just about scheduling a nswrl or qrl game before the nrl game why hasn’t he said that? He originally made it sound like he wants to see a proper reserve grade comp back. Then this come out which just says he’s only interested in nsw cup games lol. Does he know there are clubs in the nrl not from Sydney?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/1d493cbbfa732fdac5fe3c0a0215c996
Yeah they’re backtracking as quickly as they can.

It’s probably been pointed out to them that their brain fart wasn’t workable.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s effectively what it will become if we go down this route.

it wont go down this route as qrl clubs won’t buy into it and nrl won’t pay to fly reserve grade sides around the country. All it will end up being is a few more nsw cup and flegg games before Sydney club games. Typical Vlandys, all bluster, no substance

The Great Dane

First Grade
it wont go down this route as qrl clubs won’t buy into it and nrl won’t pay to fly reserve grade sides around the country. All it will end up being is a few more nsw cup and flegg games before Sydney club games. Typical Vlandys, all bluster, no substance
Paying the Raiders to run a NSW Cup side instead of continuing to search for a regional club to affiliate with has already had an impact, and that impact will spread even if it’s just in NSW.

unforgiven

Bench

Smug Panther

First Grade
f**k you're a wanker

No it won't, that is not the intention.

What the intent is does not always guarantee an outcome. There often are un-intended consequences, and Great Dane has pointed them out. Current feeder clubs are unlikely to want to play all its home matches as NRL curtain raisers as it will effect them in ways they will not appreciate and which in fact may be harmful to them financially or commercially.