What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easts Tigers Enter Expansion Race

The Great Dane

First Grade
That's a shame if they win. The other option is picking a name so obscure that no one feels any connection to it. As the new NBL team the Tasmania JackJumpers found.
BTW, the Firebirds have a reasonable case in my opinion.

They would be competitors in the same sports market and the brands are very similar.

davi

Juniors
The only people who really disliked the Jack Jumpers name were people who didn't know what a jack jumper was, i.e. people who aren't from Tasmania and therefore aren't the teams' target audience anyway.

Beside you saw the exact same phenomena with the Firehawks, where a bunch of people said it was a stupid name simply because they didn't know what a Firehawk was, and no matter which name a team picks there will always be people like that.

However it is a concerning indictment on the Australian education system that so many Australians know so little out their own ecosystem and the animals that inhabit it, especially in cases like the jack jumpers which are potentially deadly if you are unlucky.

You make some good points. I still feel though sometimes if the name is simpler, the better, as it's easier for marketing. Tasmania had the option of choosing the Tridents and those chose the Jackjumpers instead.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It been reported that Shane Richardson is working on Easts bid. It certainly can't hurt having someone such as Richardson capability on your side. Although Richardson did receive some flack from his departure with Souths you can't deny he has alot experience in Rugby league administration. I still wonder how strong Easts chances are considering there bid was later to the party then other bids.

They have dropped the proposal of the Tigers name though and replaced it with the FireHawks which is one positive. Proposing the name the Tigers is ridiculous. The 7 million upgrade at Langlands Park is good for a training facility but only for that. I'm not sure you could make a profit or break even playing there. But then again Souths play at Redfern Oval so starting out I suppose you maybe play a couple of games there.

The problem with Suncorp stadium is very costly to play there. I've read years ago that for the Broncos to break even they have to attract 30 000 to the venue. Its the reason Brisbane Raw have decided to relocate to Redcliffe Dolphins stadium because Suncorp is too costly. I've even been told by my brother that in Canada the government gets their sporting teams to play at their stadiums for a pittance to make use of the venues. While in Australia its the opposite where they charge an arm and a leg.

Brisbane Tigers to revamp historic Langlands Park in preparation for NRL expansion bid

A massive $7 million redevelopment to revamp one of Brisbane’s historic community sporting grounds transformed into a 4000-seat boutique stadium and high performance centre, is set to provide a major boost to one of the group’s bidding to be the city’s NRL expansion team.

The race to be Brisbane’s second NRL team is heating up after ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys said it was realistic for the expansion to happen in time for the 2023 season.

The league is expected to make a decision slated to be made by June this year with the race between the Brisbane Bombers, the Brisbane Firehawks, the Redcliffe Dolphins and a team in the western corridor.

And while the Firehawks – a bid from Intrust Super Cup club, the Brisbane Tigers – released its colours and logo last year and revelations former Souths Sydney boss Shane Richardson might be involved in the bid, the group has another ace up their sleave.

Tigers CEO Brian Torpy said he believed a project to rejuvenate Langlands Park, where football has been played for more than 70 years, was a huge asset for their bid.

Funded by the Easts Leagues Club and the Queensland Government, the project is set to be complete by 2022 and will see the venue transformed into a modern sports centre, which will include a high performance strength and conditioning facility, a 50-person lecture theatre, administration offices, board room and meeting rooms, coaches and media boxes and more.

“The redevelopment will complement the recently redevelopment Langland Memorial Pool, which was completed at the end of 2019, creating a sporting and sports medicine hub,” Torpy said.

“The centre will see the Totally Workwear Stadium transformed into a modern boutique rectangular stadium, with a 4000 person capacity here at Stones Corner.

“The centre will provide participants and officials with excellent playing and training venue, only 4km from the Brisbane CBD.

“While the centre is primarily designed to host community, state and national level matches, it is flexible enough to be converted into the Firehawks’ NRL team HQ.”

Torpy said the Firehawks were ready and committed to submit their “exciting” proposal when called upon by the NRL.

He also said they received positive feedback from rugby league fans on the choice of their unique name, colours and logo.

“The response has been very positive. While Firehawks have been spoken about by our First Nation People for many, many years; others have now seen and record what these raptor birds do,” he said.

“It is fascinating to watch. The name is very unique and very Australian.

“The blue, orange and black colour scheme is very striking and the tricolours provides the flexibility of playing in either a predominantly blue, orange or black playing strip.”

Torpy also believed they could generate the support necessary to have a successful NRL team in Brisbane that can rival the Broncos.

“We will have the support needed to be the expansion team because while we will attract fans from outside the Greater Brisbane area,” he said.

“The population of Brisbane has increased significantly and continues to grow. Also, we are based relatively close to Logan and Ipswich.

“We will not sit back and wait in hope for the support from these high population growth areas, and other parts of Australia, but will do want we can to earn and keep that support.

“Secondly, we plan to play all but a few of our home games at Queensland’s premier rugby league stadium, Suncorp Stadium.

“Thirdly, we are financial. We have a very successful leagues club with a large membership base and a very strong balance sheet.

“In addition, and just as important, the Firehawks has a very good business model.”

How Langlands Park $7m upgrade gives Brisbane Firehawks edge for NRL bid | The Courier Mail

thsi is an Interesting quote from that article!
“Torpy said the Firehawks were ready and committed to submit their “exciting” proposal when called upon by the NRL.”

Vlandys said in his interview:
““From what I’ve seen and the presentations that have been given to me, they are well advanced. If I said 2022 they’d be ready.”

So which is it? Has he called for bids and knows how strong they are or is he just BS? Sounds like Firehawks haven’t given him anything yet.

The Great Dane

First Grade
You make some good points. I still feel though sometimes if the name is simpler, the better, as it's easier for marketing. Tasmania had the option of choosing the Tridents and those chose the Jackjumpers instead.
If they chose Tridents there’d be a bunch of people saying ‘shit name, what have tridents got to do with Tassie anyway’. So it doesn’t matter what they pick, somebody’s going to bag it.

They shouldn’t worry about the naysayers and just pick something that makes commercial sense, which Jack Jumpers does.

Funny ppl who love this bid dislike Dolphins. Firehawks will be based in inner suburbs but apparently will appeal to Ipswich & Logan?!
Same ppl said fans in Morton Bay will reject team based just around corner.
Dumb
Easts have subdistrict clubs in Springwood and Rochedale South/Priestdale, which are in Logan's north with 2 more to be added in the south at Flagstone and Yarrabilba. I cannot see Ipswich getting behind the Firehawks.

If they have to give up the Firehawks name then just call them the Raptors.

Brisbane Raptors 01.png

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Easts whatevers are my preferred bid. They have a presence on the south side of the river which is the more populated half of Brisbane. They will have to play at Suncorp and if Langlands Park gets an upgrade, at least Greenslopes is way more accessible and appealing to travel to than Redcliffe for most people.

flippikat

Bench
Easts have subdistrict clubs in Springwood and Rochedale South/Priestdale, which are in Logan's north with 2 more to be added to be added in the south at Flagstone and Yarrabilba. I cannot see Ipswich getting behind the Firehawks.

View attachment 45652

Good call. We could do with another bird logo/nickname alongside the Sea-Eagles & Roosters. I'm already liking it more than Firehawks.

Pippen94

First Grade
Easts have subdistrict clubs in Springwood and Rochedale South/Priestdale, which are in Logan's north with 2 more to be added to be added in the south at Flagstone and Yarrabilba. I cannot see Ipswich getting behind the Firehawks.

View attachment 45652

We have Wanderers here who brought together Parramatta, Penrith & Liverpool. Disparate places quite far apart but all identify with the west of Sydney. If you throw in inner suburbs like Leichhardt into that you lose that dynamic.

Jackjumpers is a shit name.

Who wants to support a team named after a bloody insect?

Tasmania Two Heads, sponsored by Tooheys, would have made more sense.

Make the logo a drunk with the heads of these Tasmanian celebrities attached.

R480376f50c23c95a48cfa29fd61985e8.jpeg Re8264933fac22213deb3a8c5fcf49260.jpeg

Brisbane Easts = Breasts I'm afraid

They'd produce good ratings for Ch9, increasing the worth of the broadcast deal. I'd rather watch them on a Friday night over the bloody Broncos.

I have a picture of their logo, its just not letting me upload it for some reason..
Anyways the main colors are pink and brown

Clive Palmer with his shirt off?

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
You - by supporting easts.

BTW, I don't think Easts is a bad bid like Bombers. I think a new entity representing greater south with stadium there (Springfield?) would be better. I think Jets would be better
Well that's just an asinine straw-man.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Brisbane Tigers to redevelop Langlands Park:

TIGERS TO REDEVELOPMENT TOTALLY WORKWEAR STADIUM, LANGLANDS PARK

The Suzuki Brisbane Tigers will redevelop Totally Workwear Stadium, Langlands Park into a Community Sports Centre.

The redevelopment , which has been in the planning stage for the past number of years, will see the Tigers current facilities transformed into a modern sports centre, commencing in 2021.

The redevelopment will include:

• The relocation and refurbishment of the heritage listed grandstand and players pavilion;
• bars and corporate boxes;
• 50 person lecture theatre;
• complete high performance strength and conditioning facility,
• match day and player catering facilities;
• four new female compliant player change rooms;
• medical treatment;
• female compliant official’s change rooms;
• administration offices, board room and meeting rooms;
• coaches and media boxes;
• new spectator seating;
• additional parking;
• entry statement and new fencing.

The redevelopment will complement the recently redevelopment Langland Memorial Pool, which was completed at the end of 2019, creating a sporting and sports medicine hub, minutes from the CBD.

The Tigers CEO Brian Torpy said, the redevelopment of the facilities will result in a first-class community sports centre here at Stones Corner.

The centre will see Totally Workwear Stadium transformed into a modern boutique rectangular stadium, with a 4,000 person capacity.

The centre will provide participants and officials with excellent playing and training venue, only 4 kilometres from Brisbane CBD, Torpy added.

Langlands Park is easily accessible via the Langlands Park bus station and is a short walk from the Buranda and Coorparoo railways stations.

Whilst the centre has been designed to host community, state and national level matches, the design is flexible enough to be converted into the Tigers NRL bid team training centre.

Langlands Park has always been a community hub and has been utilised by community organisations for many years.

The centre will be funded by contributions from the Easts Leagues Club and the Queensland State Government.

The redevelopment will commence in 2021 and is expected to be completed by June 2022.

146247237_3990167041002264_5076750064217251381_o.jpg

Pippen94

First Grade
Brisbane Tigers to redevelop Langlands Park:

TIGERS TO REDEVELOPMENT TOTALLY WORKWEAR STADIUM, LANGLANDS PARK

The Suzuki Brisbane Tigers will redevelop Totally Workwear Stadium, Langlands Park into a Community Sports Centre.

The redevelopment , which has been in the planning stage for the past number of years, will see the Tigers current facilities transformed into a modern sports centre, commencing in 2021.

The redevelopment will include:

• The relocation and refurbishment of the heritage listed grandstand and players pavilion;
• bars and corporate boxes;
• 50 person lecture theatre;
• complete high performance strength and conditioning facility,
• match day and player catering facilities;
• four new female compliant player change rooms;
• medical treatment;
• female compliant official’s change rooms;
• administration offices, board room and meeting rooms;
• coaches and media boxes;
• new spectator seating;
• additional parking;
• entry statement and new fencing.

The redevelopment will complement the recently redevelopment Langland Memorial Pool, which was completed at the end of 2019, creating a sporting and sports medicine hub, minutes from the CBD.

The Tigers CEO Brian Torpy said, the redevelopment of the facilities will result in a first-class community sports centre here at Stones Corner.

The centre will see Totally Workwear Stadium transformed into a modern boutique rectangular stadium, with a 4,000 person capacity.

The centre will provide participants and officials with excellent playing and training venue, only 4 kilometres from Brisbane CBD, Torpy added.

Langlands Park is easily accessible via the Langlands Park bus station and is a short walk from the Buranda and Coorparoo railways stations.

Whilst the centre has been designed to host community, state and national level matches, the design is flexible enough to be converted into the Tigers NRL bid team training centre.

Langlands Park has always been a community hub and has been utilised by community organisations for many years.

The centre will be funded by contributions from the Easts Leagues Club and the Queensland State Government.

The redevelopment will commence in 2021 and is expected to be completed by June 2022.

146247237_3990167041002264_5076750064217251381_o.jpg

Shame can't increase stadium to 15k. Definite need for smaller stadium to counter Suncorp

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shame can't increase stadium to 15k. Definite need for smaller stadium to counter Suncorp

if you think a second brisbane club is going to be drawing crowds of 10k-15k then should that really be the games priority? There should be min 25k capacity for all nrl stadiums Imo.

Latest posts