What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau

Willow

Assistant Moderator
He did say anything illegal, if he did he would have been charged and in the day he wasnt
What has the law got to do with it? If he continued with hate speech and that incited a crime, then we can talk about the law.

It's still illegal to be homosexual in some countries. Do you think that's right? Some people would like to make it illegal again in Australia. Is that OK?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Point taken , however I would much prefer the L& G‘s to drop the ‘ community ‘ from their title as to me it is as if they are some type of exclusive society that places them above those of the mainstream . They seem to have ostracized themselves from the rest of the population.
Exactly..

It’s like Bendigo Bank and their whole community focus..

images

They want me to feel bad because my bank doesn’t have a pig?

f**k those guys.

They’re alienating me, the Jewish and Muslim communities with their actions.

merahputih

Juniors
Try working for a government department or a large corporation and publicly expressing an opinion that clashes with that organisation's values or policies. Folau found that out when he thought he was above complying with his employment conditions with Rugby.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Point taken , however I would much prefer the L& G‘s to drop the ‘ community ‘ from their title as to me it is as if they are some type of exclusive society that places them above those of the mainstream . They seem to have ostracized themselves from the rest of the population.

there are many communities out there mate. And they are not an exclusive club. If you are gay, then I’m sure they will welcome you with open arms.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
OPINION
‘A hurricane of offal’: Ian Roberts slams Dragons’ interest in Folau
Andrew Webster
Chief Sports Writer
February 3, 2021 — 1.23pm

Ian Roberts asks a very simple question, one that’s echoed privately by other clubs, many St George Illawarra supporters and even those at the NRL.

Why? Why would the Dragons even entertain the idea of signing Israel Folau?

“At what point did someone at the Dragons think it would be a good idea to invite this shitstorm into their club?” Roberts, the former Souths and Manly enforcer, asked. “And that’s what it will be. You are welcoming this hurricane of offal. I would’ve thought the board and the coach could look at their position in rugby league, because this is about more than winning or losing.

“It’s about the actual fabric of the game. Who thought this was a good idea? It’s mind-blowing.”

78503288eb47a659ab4899f4ae1759a90e18f3bb

“People don’t understand the effects of homophobia and the consequences”: Ian Roberts.CREDIT:WOLTER PEETERS

Evidently new Dragons coach Anthony Griffin thought it was a great idea as part of the weird revolution happening at the embattled joint-venture.

First, he signed the arthritic Jack Bird from the Broncos. Then two-time player of the year Cameron McInnes was squeezed out. Veteran hooker Andrew McCullough, 31, is still on the radar, despite coming off a serious hamstring injury.

Now comes news of Folau, 31, who has barely played any football in two years.

Just what type of football team Griffin is trying to build is anyone’s guess but from afar it already looks like one that’s old or prone to injuries.

The Folau deal is being put together by veteran player agent Wayne Beavis, who also manages Griffin. The so-called football whisperer, Joe Wehbe, isn’t involved after he and Beavis fell out last year.

After the story about the Dragons’ interest in Folau broke, Manly and the Wests Tigers predictably came knocking.

But Folau’s first match in the NRL since 2010 is a long way off.

The NRL is treading very carefully with its public statements because it wants to afford Folau those big fancy legal terms such as “due process” and “natural justice”.

The reality is there’s a distinct lack of appetite for Folau to return to the NRL just as there was 18 months ago when he settled out of court with Rugby Australia after posting a series of homophobic remarks on social media.

Indeed, the NRL was bemused at the tone of media reports on Wednesday morning suggesting his return is a fait accompli. It’s far from it. Head office feels it’s on solid legal ground when it comes to deciding who should or shouldn’t play in its competition.

The ARL Commission will discuss the matter when it meets on Thursday but can’t make a call until the Dragons lodge a contract. The NRL wants to see more than that, including Folau’s contract with RA and Catalans, the Super League side that controversially threw him a lifeline last year.

Folau has told Dragons powerbrokers he has no intention of sermonising his views about homosexuality publicly any more, just as he promised with Catalans, although he said the same thing to Raelene Castle and look how well that turned out.

Then the RA chief executive, Castle made Folau the highest-paid player in rugby and he then proceeded to spark the shitstorm Roberts is talking about.

Clauses limiting Folau’s “the-gays-will-burn-in-hell” rhetoric are all well and good, but he’s shown before his disregard for contracts and verbal promises.

There’s also nothing to suggest Folau has changed his hurtful views about the LGBT community.

As one NRL coach pointed out to this column, it’s similar to the situation concerning bad boy Todd Carney. Time away means little. It’s the potential risk to the game that matters, which makes you wonder why the Dragons would entertain Folau in the first place.

A case can be made for signing Folau to help the football team, although it’s not particularly strong.

He’s a very dominant right-side player, or at least was, so his preferred position would be right centre.

But the Dragons already have a right centre in Zac Lomax, who was in Brad Fittler’s NSW squad last November.

If Folau doesn’t play on the right, he could play on the left and have less impact. Or he could play at fullback, forcing Matt Dufty out of position yet again.

People don’t understand the effects of homophobia and the consequences. People in the LGBTIQ community know it because it’s our reality.
Ian Roberts

There’s no disputing Folau’s natural ability, especially in the air, and he was among the best players in the Super League when he first trotted out for Catalans last year.

Then the competition was grounded because of COVID-19 and, when it resumed, he was a shadow of his former self. The NRL has also changed significantly in the past two years. Just ask Sonny Bill Williams.

Roberts sees a bigger picture.

The first openly gay footballer in the world after coming out in 1995, Roberts met with NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo to express his concerns.

He was also angry that some commentators had used him as evidence that the game is for all.

“I read something today about snowflakes shutting up and that my coming out in 1995 was some wonderful, joyful experience and showed the game lets everyone in,” he said. “I had to laugh. What an ignorant thing to write. Because it wasn’t that at all.”

For the past five years, Roberts has been front and centre of the NRL’s inclusion program, working directly with clubs and young players.

“We have these scenarios around homophobia, misogyny, drugs in sport, use of social media,” he said. “It’s a safe place for players to get things wrong because we can talk about it.”

The reality is Roberts was, for years, forgotten by the game. The first step in his reintroduction was
his appearance on the NRL float at Sydney’s Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras.

But the real catalyst was Tyrone Unsworth, who in 2016 took his own life after
years of bullying about his sexuality. Tyrone was 13 years old.

For all the silly talk about inclusiveness meaning Folau should be included despite his views on the LGBT community, there’s a reality of homophobia that Roberts is only too familiar with.

“You know that shitstorm I was talking about? That shitstorm claims lives,” he said. “People don’t understand the effects of homophobia and the consequences. People in the LGBTIQ community know it because it’s our reality. We’ve all lost friends to suicide. For any kid out of the suburbs now dealing with sexuality in a negative way, and self-harm is a reality, this shitstorm is deadly.”

Lifeline crisis supporters are available on the phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week on 13 11 14.

URL: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/a-...ragons-interest-in-folau-20210203-p56z3t.html

Willow

Assistant Moderator
And if you ever needed any more proof that signing Folau is a bad idea, here it is. Paul Gallen wants us to sign him....

Former Origin skipper Paul Gallen has gone in to bat for Israel Folau, saying it would be hypocritical of the NRL to not allow the controversial star to return.

Speaking to 2GB’s Ben Fordham, the former Sharks star said inclusiveness went both ways, and the NRL had to allow Folau to return.

“I’ve got no problem with Israel coming back, there’s got to be some strict guidelines in the contract around what he can and can’t do, particularly on social media,” Gallen said.

“But the NRL talks about inclusiveness, if they block him from coming back well they’re going against what they’re saying themselves.

“It was a while ago that all this happened and hopefully Israel has learned from it.

More: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/d89af60572636ebf26648423643120a3

"...hopefully Israel has learned from it" - compelling argument.

The only problem with the "inclusiveness works both ways" argument is that Folau preaches a belief that is anti-inclusive.

SBD82

Coach
How is this confusing for people?

Folau is free to hold whatever religious views he pleases.

Folau is not legally restricted from expressing those views on social media.

If our club signs him we are giving tacit support for those views, as he will be a representative of our club.

f**k that. Why should we give him a platform to be hateful?

dragon thomo

Juniors
I feel it is a positive couple of days. We may have gained a potential match winner in Folau and still have McInnes for this year. It gives us to e to bring a young hooker through the ranks.
As for all the sooks worrying about what Folau says,wait until he starts cutting up opposition sides then everything will be forgotten.

Belta

Juniors
On the surface it appears society is far more accepting of minority groups however you don’t have to look to hard to see prejudice is ever present. Im sure this is why, as a whole, I don’t particularly like people. I prefer to spend time with my beagle.

I feel IF was even a little empathetic he would see how his views are extremely harmful and hurtful to many. So keeping his opinions to himself should override every other urge. I have no time for people who have no capacity to be mindful of others and hopefully the NRL agree

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I feel it is a positive couple of days. We may have gained a potential match winner in Folau and still have McInnes for this year. It gives us to e to bring a young hooker through the ranks.
As for all the sooks worrying about what Folau says,wait until he starts cutting up opposition sides then everything will be forgotten.
Sooks? lol. So the dumbarse name calling begins.

Well done, you've just lowered an argument based on principles to a schoolyard squabble.

thebigredv

First Grade

That is so true indeed. Funny how quickly people can adapt when their needs are being met.

He will be paid to play football and as long as he can keep his mouth shut it's all good.

thebigredv

First Grade
If the NRL, the governing body, end up sanctioning then it is a green light for Dragons and we won't lose any supporters.

If we were going to lose supporters, 7 years of McGregor was the way to do it.

merahputih

Juniors
I am bracing myself for an announcement that Todd Carney is coming out of retirement and has signed a three year deal with the Dragons, joining Matthew Lodge and Ben Barba in one of the biggest recruitment coups in the club's history.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
That is so true indeed. Funny how quickly people can adapt when their needs are being met.

He will be paid to play football and as long as he can keep his mouth shut it's all good.
This is fun. Can you tell me more about my needs and what I should be thinking tomorrow?

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

no mate...it won’t be forgotten.

people aren’t sooks if they don’t like hate speech and minorities treated like shit.

you’re missing the point champ

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If the NRL, the governing body, end up sanctioning then it is a green light for Dragons and we won't lose any supporters.

If we were going to lose supporters, 7 years of McGregor was the way to do it.
Poor example.

We've gone from being one of the most successful clubs in the league to one of the also rans of the competition, and that has been reflected at the gate.

Putting Covid 2020 aside, how many games have people gone to over the last 10 years?

The new coach is supposed to turn that around, but questions regarding his policies were getting asked not long after his appointment was announced, starting with his "there is no racism in football" comment. Like most people, I'm hoping this was just a glitch.