What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Peter V'landys vows to bring back all three grades on footy game day.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yeah and how many times did Mounties play in Canberra, once, twice, maybe three times.
Now imagine the impact it would have had on the Mounties if they were required to play most of their games in Canberra...

That's where the problem is, as it's going to kill all the clubs that affiliate with NRL clubs, and kill any hope their was of new clubs starting up with that model.
Mounties played in Canberra 3 times, along with 7 showings of the Raiders Flegg team on NRL match days (6 GIO, 1 Wagga).

That said, Mounties are now with Canterbury, Canberra fielding NSW Cup and no Flegg.

EITHER WAY - I agree with you, taking more games away from your Newtowns, Mounties etc isn't a good thing. The current numbers were fine and more than enough IMO.

unforgiven

Bench
Mounties played in Canberra 3 times, along with 7 showings of the Raiders Flegg team on NRL match days (6 GIO, 1 Wagga).

That said, Mounties are now with Canterbury, Canberra fielding NSW Cup and no Flegg.

EITHER WAY - I agree with you, taking more games away from your Newtowns, Mounties etc isn't a good thing. The current numbers were fine and more than enough IMO.

No the numbers weren't fine or enough.

King hit

Coach
PR is often off the mark but he's nailed it this time lol. No idea what was offensive about this statement unless you're a PVL fanboy.
Impossible to take him seriously ever since he wished death upon Greenberg for years but then worshipped him when he got the arse. And cheers for con artists

Timmah

Staff member
Don't have facebook, so wouldn't know. According to me, stated a opinion just like you did.
I'm trying to understand what's going to change, why it's going to change and what it's purpose is.

PVL is going hard on this and cited 'Facebook fan forums' as one of the key ways he learned this would be a popular move. It doesn't take into account feeder clubs very well, it doesn't acknowledge the great work that clubs like Penrith and Newcastle among others already do in this space, or the fact that 50+ games a year of reserve grade & 20s already feature on game day.

And it's especially galling to be looking at lower levels and championing something that's not really a change when the NRL has spent ages playing down the importance of stuff like the international game.

unforgiven

Bench
I'm trying to understand what's going to change, why it's going to change and what it's purpose is.

PVL is going hard on this and cited 'Facebook fan forums' as one of the key ways he learned this would be a popular move. It doesn't take into account feeder clubs very well, it doesn't acknowledge the great work that clubs like Penrith and Newcastle among others already do in this space, or the fact that 50+ games a year of reserve grade & 20s already feature on game day.

And it's especially galling to be looking at lower levels and championing something that's not really a change when the NRL has spent ages playing down the importance of stuff like the international game.

The majority of games I attended in 2019 did not have a preceding lower grade game, for the $2000+ I spend on tickets a year it would be nice to get a day at the footy instead of one game and then having to travel across the city a second time if I want to see the lower grades.

Timmah

Staff member
The majority of games I attended in 2019 did not have a preceding lower grade game, for the $2000+ I spend on tickets a year it would be nice to get a day at the footy instead of one game and then having to travel across the city a second time if I want to see the lower grades.
Tigers in 2019? NSW Cup - 4 home, 2 away; Jersey Flegg - 3 home, 2 away

Having a look at their NRL draw in 2019, these all occured on Sat & Sun (and Easter Monday for one of the NSW Cup games). In terms of home games, the ones that didn't have a curtain raiser were Thursday and Friday games, with the exception of the Tamworth match.

So in using 2019 as an example, they already had as many games as possible paired with NSWRL games as curtain raisers - under this supposedly audacious proposal where on Saturday & Sunday, NSW clubs get their feeders playing at their home ground with them. The Tigers would have had no additional games than are already in the schedule.

I can see seven chances for home games with feeders using the Sat/Sun prerequisite:
R2 - Sunday @ Ctown
R4 - Easter Monday @ Bankwest
R5 - Sunday @ Leichhardt
R7 - ANZAC Day @ Bankwest
R9 - Saturday @ Campbelltown
R16 - Sunday @ Leichhardt
R25 - Sunday @ Campbelltown

Of course this largely depends on NSWRL scheduling too, as they can't fit every team every round to a corresponding home team in the NRL.

TL;DR - the NRL and NSWRL are already pretty good at aligning fixtures wherever possible and PVL is trying to market himself as some kind of saviour when he's really not.

typicalfan

Coach
They barely even do it now if at all. It won't change. Why else do you think the NSWRL will be live streaming many of its competition matches this coming season via Facebook?
Because NSW Cup doesn't sell. U20s used to, it was exciting and the young talent had a great platform, only problem is reserve grade was a step back in terms of audience it didn't feel right.

mave

Coach
Jonathon Docking.

I'd don't remember ever seeing a fullback play in headgear until him.
One of my all time favourite non Manly players.

franklin2323

Immortal
It is always funny those that whinge are those that don't attend games.

Having multiple games is always a good thing for those who attend games.

SCG, Bankwest etc won't have multiple games due to usage. Thurs and Fri night games will be stand alone games.

Plenty of chances to still have games at Henson etc?

Timmah

Staff member
It is always funny those that whinge are those that don't attend games.

Having multiple games is always a good thing for those who attend games.

SCG, Bankwest etc won't have multiple games due to usage. Thurs and Fri night games will be stand alone games.

Plenty of chances to still have games at Henson etc?
Point being that's how it is now and little will change?

franklin2323

Immortal
Point being that's how it is now and little will change?

Pretty much. It is just the boss of the game coming out to get some air time. I'd imagine a few more of these free advertisement type stories over the next month or so

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pretty much. It is just the boss of the game coming out to get some air time. I'd imagine a few more of these free advertisement type stories over the next month or so

You’d think with this fighting rhetoric he was spouting that he was about to announce some massive radical and controversial change lol
the guy is so full of his own self importance.

“He’s so committed he even declared that he will do “whatever it takes” and that “anyone that gets in the way will get run over.”