What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

• I want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • I don't want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 113 32.4%
  • I couldn't care less if he returns or not.

Votes: 176 50.4%

• Total voters

Bazal

Post Whore
I really don’t see how the NRL can block his signing - he won his legal case against Rugby, where he had an actual contract, because what he did was not deemed gross misconduct. And ultimately, the clubs are the employer.
The NRL can’t just cherry pick who they want in the NRL where no crime has been committed.
I totally understand why they don’t want him, but I think legally they were reliant on no clubs putting in a request to sign him - once a club tries to register his contract, as unsavoury as it is, I don’t think the NRL have much choice.
This decision is on St George, and in my opinion shows how desperate they are, and how low they value their own values, culture and public perception.
You can’t just block Folau, as that would go against the very rules against discrimination that you’re trying to defend. What can happen is everyone can have an opinion on Folau and his views, the NRL can publicly state their own views on that, they can publicly state how disappointed they are in St George and their values, sponsors can share their views or back away from any organisation aligning with Folau (this is where the NRL can save themselves by publicly shaming St George), fans can show their thoughts on the signing by voicing their views and opinions, and can ultimately vote with their feet by not attending games where he plays, not buying St George merchandise. That’s where the power really is.
Sadly though, despite all of the hysteria, if he’s signed, once the season starts, people will just go about their business and it will become a minor point throughout the year.

Just FYI your post starts with a completely incorrect statement.

It's certainly not any form of discrimination to block him from playing the NRL based on his behaviour.

He didn't win anything, though. It never even made it a hearing with anybody. The FWC had no jurisdiction and Rugby Aus settled voluntarily prior to any possible proceedings. Had they not, it would still be in the courts more than likely.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
One's just as bad as the other. You might think making offensive slurs is fine but that reflects on you.
Well no, one of them is *actually* discriminatory, and one is not.

I'm not talking about what I think is fine, I'm talking about law.
Because posting scripture isn't in the same category as rape, even rape that is alleged. The former isn't even breaking the law.
If you actually read what I'm saying, I'm suggesting that any decision about Folau be decoupled from decisions on other players, all made by previous administration/s.

Suggesting the administration be hamstrung by decisions made by others before them is a bit arcane.
I really don’t see how the NRL can block his signing - he won his legal case against Rugby, where he had an actual contract, because what he did was not deemed gross misconduct. And ultimately, the clubs are the employer.
The NRL can’t just cherry pick who they want in the NRL where no crime has been committed.
They can, as can any private employer, unless they're violating discrimination law.

Chimp

Juniors
They can, as can any private employer, unless they're violating discrimination law.
The clubs can choose not to employ him, based on their perception of his values, but that’s a recruitment decision - I don’t see how the NRL can block it when he’s got an employer trying to register his contract.

Zadar

Juniors
It would be interesting to see how the players feel about Folau returning.

guy at work got a new bank card sent to him and it had rainbow colours on it, he called the bank to say he doesn’t want it, and to re order him a plain card. He then got into an argument with the guy on the phone who told him he won’t re issue a perfectly good card.

People should be able to believe or do what they like, but when somebody is forcing an issue onto you, that’s when the problems begin.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
giphy.gif

King hit

Coach
Found it weird they would even be going for him in the first place. He is past his best and wouldn’t last long now.

The_Frog

First Grade
Sad that the baying mob, most of whom aren't even supporters of the sport, can force the hand of a club like this. Saves the NRL a major headache though, unless someone else decides they want him, that is.

Zadar

Juniors
Found it weird they would even be going for him in the first place. He is past his best and wouldn’t last long now.

plus the price tag and the 200k transfer fee, would of been a ridiculous amount for an untried player.

Mr Spock!

Referee
It would be interesting to see how the players feel about Folau returning.

guy at work got a new bank card sent to him and it had rainbow colours on it, he called the bank to say he doesn’t want it, and to re order him a plain card. He then got into an argument with the guy on the phone who told him he won’t re issue a perfectly good card.

People should be able to believe or do what they like, but when somebody is forcing an issue onto you, that’s when the problems begin.
I'm a Republican.

They should make me money without a British monarch on it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Sad that the baying mob, most of whom aren't even supporters of the sport, can force the hand of a club like this. Saves the NRL a major headache though, unless someone else decides they want him, that is.
"Most of whom aren't even supporters of the sport"?

That seems like an incredibly vague and unprovable statement.

Bazal

Post Whore
Emboldened by Timmah joining in, huh? You gutless wonder.

Lol. There's a sentence I never thought I'd hear...emboldened by Timmah! You seem a little perturbed

Never mind I was here before the bloke. You just let me know when you find that specific and totally not vague and hypothetical law or act that would have stopped the NRL dead from choosing who they employ, k?

The_Frog

First Grade
Lol. There's a sentence I never thought I'd hear...emboldened by Timmah! You seem a little perturbed

Never mind I was here before the bloke. You just let me know when you find that specific and totally not vague and hypothetical law or act that would have stopped the NRL dead from choosing who they employ, k?
It's over now, until someone else decides they want to sign him. Maybe its for the best he plays for Catalans.