What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Jets

toomuchsoup

Juniors
If the Jets are the bid, they should stay with a simple colourway. Dark green and white with maybe a touch of silver. butcher stipes would look good in those colours.

If there’s to be another team after that they should mainly be red. No more blue teams! Of any shade!

The comp could use a bit more red and green on the colour wheel

Quidgybo

Bench
Maybe NRL are pushing line of not cannibalizing Broncs & Titans?!

Anyone who thought otherwise simply ain’t been paying attention to the last, oh, 25 years of Rugby League politics. That’s partly why I flagged the possibility of the NRL accepting TWO new teams in SE Qld. If you’re only going to choose one and you limit it to either a team north of Brisbane or a team south-west of Brisbane because you don’t want to directly compete against an existing team, then one of these huge areas misses out and is no better off for expansion. The natural next step is to resolve that by expanding again into that second market north or south.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Anyone who thought otherwise simply ain’t been paying attention to the last, oh, 25 years of Rugby League politics. That’s partly why I flagged the possibility of the NRL accepting TWO new teams in SE Qld. If you’re only going to choose one and you limit it to either a team north of Brisbane or a team south-west of Brisbane because you don’t want to directly compete against an existing team, then one of these huge areas misses out and is no better off for expansion. The natural next step is to resolve that by expanding again into that second market north or south.
Except that two new teams will eat into the Broncos and Titans markets more than one would... That's just the nature of the beast.

And you don't have the problem of only appealing to a defined region of the city if you don't restrict your clubs' image and marketing to just representing that defined region. It's literally only a problem if you make it a problem, and the only reason that it's a big deal in RL is because RL is still stuck in the Suburban thinking of the 40s, 50s, and 60s...

steeden.

Juniors
If the Jets are the bid, they should stay with a simple colourway. Dark green and white with maybe a touch of silver. butcher stipes would look good in those colours.

If there’s to be another team after that they should mainly be red. No more blue teams! Of any shade!

The comp could use a bit more red and green on the colour wheel
I differ in that I hope a Brisbane Jets team is Green, White, and Yellow. Traditional and also not a current colourset of an NRL team

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/d53f8f03a317a4f9209f44b727481dea
Oh yeah just for context

Btw, i thought wayne was on the dolphins bid agenda, i suppose may the best bid win....
I suppose if the firebirds/hawks trademark suit fks easts up, maybe tget should merge with the Dolphins, EASTS Dolphins * orange/red/white/black (very tampa bay)
that would dwarf the bombers/jets bid
East Coast Dolphins and South Brisbane Jets could work.

The army is stationed at Logan's outer western suburb Greenbank. Ipswich has links with the airforce.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Except that two new teams will eat into the Broncos and Titans markets more than one would... That's just the nature of the beast.

And you don't have the problem of only appealing to a defined region of the city if you don't restrict your clubs' image and marketing to just representing that defined region. It's literally only a problem if you make it a problem, and the only reason that it's a big deal in RL is because RL is still stuck in the Suburban thinking of the 40s, 50s, and 60s...

If you add 2 teams lets say Jets and Dolphins, It might be a situation where they both play only 4-6 games at Suncorp, and the rest at the boutique stadium so they are drawing crowds in a different market. I think that could work if they decide to go down this path. THe entries would need to be offset though to stop the transfer market going totally stupid.

And I don't think there is anything wrong with the Suburban thinking. That will provide those rivalries that fans in QLD will enjoy. It works in many sports. We don't need to go the AFL path, and you only need to look at the A-League who have decided that's the best way as well.

Don't get me wrong. Would love a Sydney club to relocate elsewhere. But that will take a serious change of finances for one of the clubs. At that point when the NRL jumps in to take over, those options can be considered, whether it's Perth, Central Coast or NZ2. I'm sure highest bidders would be encouraged to put there money up.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
If you add 2 teams lets say Jets and Dolphins, It might be a situation where they both play only 4-6 games at Suncorp, and the rest at the boutique stadium so they are drawing crowds in a different market. I think that could work if they decide to go down this path. THe entries would need to be offset though to stop the transfer market going totally stupid.

The training bases should be Ipswich and Redcliffe respectively with 1 or 2 games there but the clubs need to be all Brisbane clubs.

Dogs Of War

Coach
The training bases should be Ipswich and Redcliffe respectively with 1 or 2 games there but the clubs need to be all Brisbane clubs.

I disagree with that. You really want to grab areas that are pulling in more. Otherwise your saturating the market. It's not like Sydney, you are really just playing at one stadium. It's best you move some of those games to the area's that require a little more love. If you have ever driven from the North of Brisbane into Brisbane city, you would know it's can be a killer of a drive. Even the train ride is not something you would want to do all the time for a game. Same for Ipswich.

mongoose

Coach

And I don't think there is anything wrong with the Suburban thinking. That will provide those rivalries that fans in QLD will enjoy. It works in many sports. We don't need to go the AFL path, and you only need to look at the A-League who have decided that's the best way as well.

Don't get me wrong. Would love a Sydney club to relocate elsewhere. But that will take a serious change of finances for one of the clubs. At that point when the NRL jumps in to take over, those options can be considered, whether it's Perth, Central Coast or NZ2. I'm sure highest bidders would be encouraged to put there money up.

Personally i think Brisbane should be following what AFL has done in Perth/Adelaide, not trying to replicate Sydney RL based on some false sense of suburban tribalry.... In saying that I don't know enough about Fremantle and Port Adelaide AFL clubs, do they pull fans from all over those cities or just close to those particular suburbs? I am guessing the former...

Second Brisbane team should be playing out of Suncorp and aiming for 25-30k crowds and I think they would need to appeal to a broad area of people to achieve that. That is my thinking.

I disagree with that. You really want to grab areas that are pulling in more. Otherwise your saturating the market. It's not like Sydney, you are really just playing at one stadium. It's best you move some of those games to the area's that require a little more love. If you have ever driven from the North of Brisbane into Brisbane city, you would know it's can be a killer of a drive. Even the train ride is not something you would want to do all the time for a game. Same for Ipswich.
The infrastructure in Greater Brisbane isn't built to support 2.4 million people. Ch7 news spoke about how bad it is in one of their segments. The average commute in Brisbane has increased by by something like 45% over the last 5 years, whereas in Sydney it's only been 17% and in Melbourne it's only increased by 12%.

Sydney 71 minutes
Brisbane 67 minutes
Melbourne 65 minutes

People would make the effort to travel from the outskirts to Lang Park for derby matches that mean something, but for all other games they would prefer to be travelling around their neck of the woods.

Personally i think Brisbane should be following what AFL has done in Perth/Adelaide, not trying to replicate Sydney RL based on some false sense of suburban tribalry.... In saying that I don't know enough about Fremantle and Port Adelaide AFL clubs, do they pull fans from all over those cities or just close to those particular suburbs? I am guessing the former...

Second Brisbane team should be playing out of Suncorp and aiming for 25-30k crowds and I think they would need to appeal to a broad area of people to achieve that. That is my thinking.

Adelaide and Perth don't have the traffic congestion issues that plague Brisbane.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

although called Fremantle they are really seen as the south of the river club, and the more working mans club so have plenty of fans in the north as well. Eagles draw from north and south, Of course they had the massive advantage that you haven’t been able get a seat at aWC Eagles game for 15 years so if you want to follow and attend a club it has to be the Dockers! Brisbane 2 will not have that massive advantage.

Latest posts