What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One to watch: Jackson Ford

Dragonsamy

Bench
He looks more an 80 minute edge than Fui ..
Fui to me still looks like our best option from the bench .. His first few games coming on mid game were superiour to the games where he started.

I think you are correct I think Fyi as a impact forward off the bench is a great idea

possm

Coach
Agree, surely Host has more to offer at lock than Lawrie, but Host is Saints junior so a negative I guess.
CC

We need 'like for like or better' when replacing Frizell. D Fifita is on the market for 2021 with the Titians in the front seat to sign him. Surely Millward can find a way to beat the Titans to the punch.

In my opinion Host is a good backup forward.

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
We need 'like for like or better' when replacing Frizell. A Fifita is on the market for 2021 with the Titians in the front seat to sign him. Surely Millward can find a way to beat the Titans to the punch.

What’s your fascination with Andrew Fifita??? His knee is shot to pieces. starting from the bench, his sideways movement is poor and his knee is strapped to buggery. It’s only round 8 so imagine how bad he will get with zero byes/rest?? Would be an absolute miracle if he makes it through the next 12 rounds plus finals etc. He’s done and we don't need his medical issues in the next 1-2 years

redv13

Bench
We need 'like for like or better' when replacing Frizell. A Fifita is on the market for 2021 with the Titians in the front seat to sign him. Surely Millward can find a way to beat the Titans to the punch.

Host is a 13, Fifita is a Prop. Don’t compare the 2 it’s embarrassing. Host can play Lock, S/R and if desperate F/R and Centre. Fifita can play F/R and with the hot pie tray at Shark Park

possm

Coach
What’s your fascination with Andrew Fifita??? His knee is shot to pieces. starting from the bench, his sideways movement is poor and his knee is strapped to buggery. It’s only round 8 so imagine how bad he will get with zero byes/rest?? Would be an absolute miracle if he makes it through the next 12 rounds plus finals etc. He’s done and we don't need his medical issues in the next 1-2 years
Sorry I meant David from the Broncos. Having said that I would take Andrew from the Sharks on a short term deal if the price was right. Players can recover from injuries.

redv13

Bench
Sorry I meant David from the Broncos. Having said that I would take Andrew from the Sharks on a short term deal if the price was right. Players can recover from injuries.
No dramas all good. David is a beast but I honestly feel that we have zero chance of signing him under this current coach.
Andrew’s knee is shot and he goes ok in short bursts but surely his days are numbered and will retire early like Timmins or D Young due to knee problems

getsmarty

Immortal
Break-out stars of 2021: Part 4

St George Illawarra Dragons – Jackson Ford

Jackson Ford has always been the standout back-rower coming through the Dragons’ system, typified by a swag of player of the year awards. In 2017 Ford was the Dragons’ under-20s player of the year and in 2019 he was their Canterbury Cup player of the year. He also made his NRL debut in 2019 as a development player. He continued his Canterbury Cup form in the top grade.

Awarded a top 30 contract for the 2020 season I had high hopes that Ford would start on an edge for the Dragons. It wasn’t to be, however he did firmly establish himself in the top 17, primarily coming off the bench in the middle, as well as starting a few games at lock.

Jackson-Ford-755x515.jpg

(Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)

With Tyson Frizell leaving there is an opportunity for Ford to secure an edge role for the Dragons in 2021. Ford will bring an outstanding attacking game to the role, highlighted with some top shelf line running.

In his stellar 2019 reserve grade season he recorded 13 tries, 12 line breaks and 82 tackle breaks. He hasn’t yet had the opportunity to showcase this ability while playing in the middle in first grade but watch for him to excel on an edge for the Dragons this season.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/01/30/break-out-stars-of-2021-part-4/

Dragons4me

Juniors
Break-out stars of 2021: Part 4

St George Illawarra Dragons – Jackson Ford

Jackson Ford has always been the standout back-rower coming through the Dragons’ system, typified by a swag of player of the year awards. In 2017 Ford was the Dragons’ under-20s player of the year and in 2019 he was their Canterbury Cup player of the year. He also made his NRL debut in 2019 as a development player. He continued his Canterbury Cup form in the top grade.

Awarded a top 30 contract for the 2020 season I had high hopes that Ford would start on an edge for the Dragons. It wasn’t to be, however he did firmly establish himself in the top 17, primarily coming off the bench in the middle, as well as starting a few games at lock.

Jackson-Ford-755x515.jpg

(Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)

With Tyson Frizell leaving there is an opportunity for Ford to secure an edge role for the Dragons in 2021. Ford will bring an outstanding attacking game to the role, highlighted with some top shelf line running.

In his stellar 2019 reserve grade season he recorded 13 tries, 12 line breaks and 82 tackle breaks. He hasn’t yet had the opportunity to showcase this ability while playing in the middle in first grade but watch for him to excel on an edge for the Dragons this season.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/01/30/break-out-stars-of-2021-part-4/

Just one of many who are going to get a real opportunity this year. Very keen to see how he goes.

hewi

Bench
This bloke IMO has all the attributes of Joel Thompson except he is a whole lot younger. Great versatility as he can if needed play centre so you can carry 4 forwards on the bench. He has the added advantage that he hasn’t been in the system long enough for the peanut to have ruined him.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
There’s something about this guy.
I’m expecting him to have a good season.
Hopefully Hook can give him the confidence & game plan to suit his strengths.
I think he was the leading try scorer in CC and didn’t even play every game. He definitely knows how to find the line. Let’s hope he can develop a nice combo with one of our many possible halves combos.

rasaint

Juniors
OK will be interesting to see how he goes.

He looked pretty average to me in his limited opportunities in top grade. Much hype at the moment.

Here’s hoping for him this year.

BLM01

First Grade
OK will be interesting to see how he goes.

He looked pretty average to me in his limited opportunities in top grade. Much hype at the moment.

Here’s hoping for him this year.
Only because he should not of been playing in the middle

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Only because he should not of been playing in the middle
Agree, he does need to work on his defence which all young blokes do but if he's on an edge consistently and builds a combo with the hooker and halves I can see him being a real weapon on the edge. He's not a bash and barge guy. He is a line running backrower/centre. He is one of the blokes I'm most excited to see get a full season under his belt.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Agree, he does need to work on his defence which all young blokes do but if he's on an edge consistently and builds a combo with the hooker and halves I can see him being a real weapon on the edge. He's not a bash and barge guy. He is a line running backrower/centre. He is one of the blokes I'm most excited to see get a full season under his belt.
Me too, however, just not sure about his position. I definitely saw Host as a made edge forward but feel this bloke plays a different game. If the lock changes to the old style role rather that the third prop style of recent times i’d see what he can do there. Seems like an opportunistic and type player but hasn’t had opportunity to demonstrate this in first grade as yet.

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
I'd rather he play edge than middle. He has some great skills that will be handy out wide. He's better than both Friz and Sims at the quick catch and pass to get his centre early ball and he runs great lines as someone else mentioned above. He's deceptive too, I love stats and have often noticed that he manages more metres, pcm's, tackle breaks and tackles than some of his more experienced forwards team mates but you hardly notice it because he just goes quietly and steadily about his work, nothing showy, no big hits. Maybe he can move to Lock later in his career but for now I'm hoping he takes Frizell's jumper because he's the best option there.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I'd rather he play edge than middle. He has some great skills that will be handy out wide. He's better than both Friz and Sims at the quick catch and pass to get his centre early ball and he runs great lines as someone else mentioned above. He's deceptive too, I love stats and have often noticed that he manages more metres, pcm's, tackle breaks and tackles than some of his more experienced forwards team mates but you hardly notice it because he just goes quietly and steadily about his work, nothing showy, no big hits. Maybe he can move to Lock later in his career but for now I'm hoping he takes Frizell's jumper because he's the best option there.
Yes Kitt66 he has some nice touches; often these modern Second rowers do become a bit one dimensional (arguably Creagh and Frizell) and thought maybe lock would give him the space to demonstrate the skills you highlight....

The kid has raw speed

I seem him potentially as a Rod Reddy.

He needs to find a ball player who can put him through a gap. Ala W.Smith.

Then shut the gate

BIG RIG

Juniors
I’m looking forward to seeing how Jackson Ford fairs with a starting spot

Always liked the way he played

Latest posts