What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

thebigredv

First Grade
This roster is reserve grade at best

I want to make a joke about how that is an insult to the reserve grade competition but I think I will just cry at the truth of it all instead.

Agree about our halves, Vaughan, Sims and Merrin especially. I think we are all willing to give time to the new coach but if we have to go through "don't yet have the roster" press conferences much longer...well I doubt many of us can stomach much more.

Was expecting a really promising off season...hopefully this is the worst of it now.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Ok we lost McInnes. Obviously he didnt want to be here. I get he wanted a long term contract and 4yrs is certainly that, however, I feel we made the right decision. His playing 'style', I doubt will be able to be sustained for that length of time. We will see.

As for Falou, I think the bigger picture here is not wether he signed or not, and I'm not going to enter into the moral debate centred arounf him, it's the intention that we were persuing (actively) a player of his ability that shows me a distinct change in direction.

I feel good news is not far away. Stay strong everyone.

thebigredv

First Grade
Ok we lost McInnes. Obviously he didnt want to be here. I get he wanted a long term contract and 4yrs is certainly that, however, I feel we made the right decision. His playing 'style', I doubt will be able to be sustained for that length of time. We will see.

As for Falou, I think the bigger picture here is not wether he signed or not, and I'm not going to enter into the moral debate centred arounf him, it's the intention that we were persuing (actively) a player of his ability that shows me a distinct change in direction.

Your words offer a small amount of comfort. Thanks.

epDragon62

First Grade

Agreed, there is intent.

I don't mind the way the club moved on Folau either, they didn't make an offer, tested the reaction and decided that it was acid and not water they dipped their toe into...

Give it a few more days and it will be forgotten.

Dragon David

First Grade
How is it that the Sharks and McInnes were able to keep things on the quiet until it was a done deal and how is it that the Dragons gave in so quickly as well?

I am certainly hoping that Griffin and others involved in our recruitment and retention of players have a back up plan that makes us look less as fools.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
How is it that the Sharks and McInnes were able to keep things on the quiet until it was a done deal and how is it that the Dragons gave in so quickly as well?

I am certainly hoping that Griffin and others involved in our recruitment and retention of players have a back up plan that makes us look less as fools.
Why the assumption they gave in though? If Saints wanted him they would have made an offer. Think their passive response may possibly suggest a lot..

Dragons4me

Juniors
I believe what we will get with this new team and coach is enthusiasm. We hung onto McGregor for too long and it seemed all we were getting was the same team picked week after week with the same result. I admired his loyalty but I'm sure a Bellamy or Robinson wouldn't have done similar. I'm looking forward to "different" in 2021 and whatever it brings. These young guys won't have any baggage. Sustaining it for 26 rounds will be the challenge for Hook & co.

Dragon David

First Grade
Why the assumption they gave in though? If Saints wanted him they would have made an offer. Think their passive response may possibly suggest a lot..
I'm thinking that what the Dragons were prepared to offer McInnes was less in terms of money and length of contract than what the Sharks offered him and maybe that they think he is replaceable with someone equal to but not necessarily better at cheaper rates. Also, they might view his long term commitment to the club disappeared when Mary left so why try and keep him? In McInnes words, "Mary will be a friend for life" and it is quite possible that in 2022 they will be together at the Sharks.

mickeylane

Bench

100% agree on all fronts.. Dragons are on the lookout and obviously have a spare $500k-$600k..

possm

Coach
100% agree on all fronts.. Dragons are on the lookout and obviously have a spare $500k-$600k..
We have always had a spare 500k or more. It would be mad to keep McInnes for 2021 as he will be a distruptive player when it comes to new and successful ideas from the coaching staff.

We have always had a spare 500k or more. It would be mad to keep McInnes for 2021 as he will be a distruptive player when it comes to new and successful ideas from the coaching staff.
I would seriously doubt Cronulla has any ability to afford McInnis this year. They would have to hire the Roosters accountants to get this done!

goldiesaintz

Juniors

Good positive post, DS.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Based on what McInnes said and how he said it, I don't agree.
Yes i don’t think he would be a disruptive ‘player’ either, epDragon62; he appears to have a good work ethic and no evidence to suggest he wouldn’t give his all in 2021.

In saying that though, I do think it would be a ‘disruption’ to the team, due to the expected continual media beat up and the ongoing crap all that all involves....Players signing for another club but staying a final year i don’t think is palatable on many levels. Better to go in the direction that Griffin can lay down from the start, i feel.

Last edited:

Latest posts