What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

mongoose

Coach
I actually don’t think this will be an issue. A lot of people commute for the games in the outer suburbs, and I can’t see it changing for Redcliffe. Also, they are going to appeal to a wider greater Brisbane audience, so I honestly think 15k will be a minimum for them.

I was speaking to a friend today about the Qld Roar A League team who are now playing full time at Dolphin Stadium. He attends nearly every game and speaks to a lot of people and said that basically no one from south of the river goes to Roar games anymore, however he did say they do attract more people from around the moreton bay area, so make of that what you will...

Perth Red

Post Whore
EASTS COAST Dolphins for sure,
Can't call it brisbane being too far away, Moreton bay isn't that nice of a name, Sth QLD, could work, but if perth gets to call their expansion West Coast Pirates, then Dolphins can call theirs East Coast

apart from the Pirates will represent the whole west coast and dolphins will only represent about 10% of the east coast?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I was speaking to a friend today about the Qld Roar A League team who are now playing full time at Dolphin Stadium. He attends nearly every game and speaks to a lot of people and said that basically no one from south of the river goes to Roar games anymore, however he did say they do attract more people from around the moreton bay area, so make of that what you will...

suburban grounds attract local fans only, that’s why they get small crowds. If your ambition is 9-10k crowds they are fine and cost effective

The Great Dane

First Grade
The more I think about a second Brissie team, the more I I think it should be (and will be) the Dolphins. This contrasts with the fact I’d be more inclined to back the Firehawks though. Partly growing up on the Southside, the Firehawks would definitely be my second team, whereas the Dolphins would be a third or fourth team.

The NRL has come out and stated on the record that another team cannot cannibalise either existing team. This is something that unfortunately the Firehawks will do to both- they will appeal to areas that have the potential to have both Broncos and Titans fans. Redcliffe on the other hand, won’t impact “both” clubs half as much.

Also, watch the growth of Titans fans in the Logan area over the next few years as they go from strength to strength, it’s actually planned for and focused on inside the club. Donkeys- I know you’re not a believer and I know that I’m biased here totally, but there is a lot of synchronicity between Logan and the Titans, especially with the Leagues Club being built at Oxenford (completely planned to be accessible for fans from Logan).

The Dolphins also sits in a growth corridor, unlike the Easts consortium, so has natural opportunity to grow too. Easts growth will all come from prying away existing fans. There is an initial sugar hit of all the non Broncos Brisbane based league fans, but that’s about it. The wider Moreton Bay area has plenty of people moving to it from interstate and internationally, so these people are where actual growth of Rugby League can come from.

Finally, the infrastructure and capability to sustain themselves much more than anyone else puts the Dolphins as the logical choice for a club to take on #17 in 2023, let’s now just hope it’s gonna happen!!
So in other words the Firehawks have the potential to appeal to a broad audience across Brisbane, where the Dolphins don't, therefore the Dolphins should get the licence because they're less threatening. What a great way to run a business...

Here's the reality; whichever team you add in SEQ that team is going to eat into the market of multiple clubs in someway (and not just the Broncos and Titans BTW). It's totally unavoidable.

However it's my, and many others, belief that that eating into the market will be mainly of people whom aren't active supporters of their current clubs, i.e. they are "fans" but don't regularly attend games or invest much directly into their club (i.e. expats, people whom support clubs from different markets, and people whom are RL fans but dislike the Broncos).In other words the goal is/should be to convert a bunch of casual supports into hardcore supports.
Now if that belief isn't the case then we shouldn't be adding teams in SEQ at all because all you will achieve is to further split the market, which is a terrible idea and odds on would probably kill the Titans.

So at the end of the day "the Dolphins won't eat into the competition as much" argument is A. false, and B. not a selling point.

BTW, both the Firehawks and Jets bids have the resources to invest in the sort of infrastructure that the Dolphins have. So yeah, the infrastructure and $100mil in assets thing isn't that great selling point when you actually think about it.

EASTS COAST Dolphins for sure,
Can't call it brisbane being too far away, Moreton bay isn't that nice of a name, Sth QLD, could work, but if perth gets to call their expansion West Coast Pirates, then Dolphins can call theirs East Coast
I'd love to see Easts and Redcliffe join forces to become the East Coast Dolphins. Massive catchment from Moreton Bay Region through eastern suburbs of Brisbane, Redland City and Logan City. Both Easts and Redcliffe are represented with that name. That's a club that can compete with the Broncos.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'd love to see Easts and Redcliffe join forces to become the East Coast Dolphins. Massive catchment from Moreton Bay Region through eastern suburbs of Brisbane, Redland City and Logan City. Both Easts and Redcliffe are represented with that name. That's a club that can compete with the Broncos.

Id still prefer Sunshine Coast Dolphins. 4 games at Suncorp, 4 at Redcliffe, and 4 at Sunshine Coast stadium. Really bringing the game to the fans. Wouldn't even mind if it ended up a split like 6 at Redcliffe and 6 at Sunshine coast. That's really a better market. Moreso if they add 2 new teams in. I feel that's QLD covered if the Jets/Bombers bid gets in, and I'd hope they would do something similar with the split games.

Id still prefer Sunshine Coast Dolphins. 4 games at Suncorp, 4 at Redcliffe, and 4 at Sunshine Coast stadium. Really bringing the game to the fans. Wouldn't even mind if it ended up a split like 6 at Redcliffe and 6 at Sunshine coast. That's really a better market. Moreso if they add 2 new teams in. I feel that's QLD covered if the Jets/Bombers bid gets in, and I'd hope they would do something similar with the split games.
Southern Brisbane Jets could work as there's Archerfield Airport in the southern suburbs and the RAAF Base Amberley is in Ipswich, and the Greenbank Military Range is in Logan.

Army colours of green and brown for the jersey.

Make the ANZAC Day game an annual clash between North Queensland Cowboys and Southern Brisbane Jets.

Pippen94

First Grade
Southern Brisbane Jets could work as there's Archerfield Airport in the southern suburbs and the RAAF Base Amberley is in Ipswich, and the Greenbank Military Range is in Logan.

Army colours of green and brown for the jersey.

Make the ANZAC Day game an annual clash between North Queensland Cowboys and Southern Brisbane Jets.

Logan Brothers & Jets both use green. Bid should too

Pippen94

First Grade
So in other words the Firehawks have the potential to appeal to a broad audience across Brisbane, where the Dolphins don't, therefore the Dolphins should get the licence because they're less threatening. What a great way to run a business...

Here's the reality; whichever team you add in SEQ that team is going to eat into the market of multiple clubs in someway (and not just the Broncos and Titans BTW). It's totally unavoidable.

However it's my, and many others, belief that that eating into the market will be mainly of people whom aren't active supporters of their current clubs, i.e. they are "fans" but don't regularly attend games or invest much directly into their club (i.e. expats, people whom support clubs from different markets, and people whom are RL fans but dislike the Broncos).In other words the goal is/should be to convert a bunch of casual supports into hardcore supports.
Now if that belief isn't the case then we shouldn't be adding teams in SEQ at all because all you will achieve is to further split the market, which is a terrible idea and odds on would probably kill the Titans.

So at the end of the day "the Dolphins won't eat into the competition as much" argument is A. false, and B. not a selling point.

BTW, both the Firehawks and Jets bids have the resources to invest in the sort of infrastructure that the Dolphins have. So yeah, the infrastructure and $100mil in assets thing isn't that great selling point when you actually think about it.

Broncos already exist. Any team representing whole of Brisbane playing out of Lang Park doing the same is redundant.
Your thinking is from 90's & will never work. When put to you even you admit new team should appeal to area north or south of river.
Basically, we are talking about following wanderers or Melbourne city approach. One has been a success other team is looking to move to dandenong - ha

MugaB

Coach
videotogif_2021.02.04_21.00.38.gif
That's the point, large catchment= more bums on seats, more exposure, and catering to the North & East of Brisbane
NOT just another carbon copy bronx, sharing the same stadium, sponsors, catchment effectively only cutting the brisbane support in half, instead of ADDING all the territory east of the CBD upto sunshine coast, this is more of the "NORTH QLD" approach, rather than a "redcliffe" ala manly in sydney

Sunshine Coast gets 4 games a year, Suncorp 8 games a year, and Redcliffe hold all trials, training and base of operations, simple stuff

Even the West City Jets could do this, hold the bulk of their games at Suncorp, and have a handful in Ipswich and train/base there and a few Toowoomba trials

Last edited:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Does anyone like the name Cassowary involved somewhere? We all know of that evil "thing". Aren't they mostly from QLD?

toomuchsoup

Juniors
East Coast Dolphins vs West Coast Pirates. What a rivalry that could be

View attachment 45696
That's the point, large catchment= more bums on seats, more exposure, and catering to the North & East of Brisbane
NOT just another carbon copy bronx, sharing the same stadium, sponsors, catchment effectively only cutting the brisbane support in half, instead of ADDING all the territory east of the CBD upto sunshine coast, this is more of the "NORTH QLD" approach, rather than a "redcliffe" ala manly in sydney

Sunshine Coast gets 4 games a year, Suncorp 8 games a year, and Redcliffe hold all trials, training and base of operations, simple stuff

Even the West City Jets could do this, hold the bulk of their games at Suncorp, and have a handful in Ipswich and train/base there and a few Toowoomba trials
I like your idea. Jets would be better off serving the south-west, with Easts/Redcliffe serving the east coast of greater Brisbane and Sunshine Coast.
East Coast Dolphins vs West Coast Pirates. What a rivalry that could be

East Coast, Gold Coast and West Coast. All we need after that is Central Coast. :D

Perth Red

Post Whore
Researching the three bids, Dolphins seem miles in front
http://www.dolphinsnrl.com.au/credentials/

i don’t see much in there that the other bids couldn’t also claim tbf. I’d like to see the dolphins release last years annual report so we can see just how financially sound they are. They have a lot of assets but what are their liabilities and what is their bottom line looking like? How much free cash a year do they actually have to invest? There location is the biggest issue for me, their region is too far away from Suncorp to attract big crowds that identify with the current Redcliffe brand.

30mins from Suncorp? By what, helicopter?

Jamberoo

Juniors
i don’t see much in there that the other bids couldn’t also claim tbf. I’d like to see the dolphins release last years annual report so we can see just how financially sound they are. They have a lot of assets but what are their liabilities and what is their bottom line looking like? How much free cash a year do they actually have to invest? There location is the biggest issue for me, their region is too far away from Suncorp to attract big crowds that identify with the current Redcliffe brand.

30mins from Suncorp? By what, helicopter?
As per the website, it will not be the current Redcliff brand. The community/members will select the name and jersey.
'Just over 30 mins' according to the website is 36 mins according to google maps. Not too much of a stretch.
Hard to find out much info from the other bids.

ash the bash

Juniors
If I had to armchair general the Dolphins bid.. Just my thoughts not suggesting right way to go about it.

From other two bids, both use Brisbane as a name. I think they will go for a generic name like that. First preference would be the "Moreton Bay Dolphins" but I don't think they will use that. I would prefer they went with "South Queensland Dolphins" a team for the South etc etc.. Would prefer that to a "Brisbane Dolphins or North Brisbane Dolphins.
- Generic name
- Plays on rivalry with North Queensland.
- Even if the HQ is on the peninsula it theoretically still caters for all "South East Queensland".

Home grounds:
- 8 Suncorp (Broncos, Cowboys, Dragons etc.. Traditionally big away drawing Brisbane clubs). Look to try and average between 18K-22K first year at Suncorp.
- 2 Moreton Daily Stadium (New name for Dolphin Oval), low drawing clubs
- 2 Sunshine Coast Stadium, same as above. With Souths taking a game and future upgrade potential to stadium could have a scenario of 3-4 NRL games on the Sunshine Coast.

Colours:
Red, White, Gold (As suggested by another poster)

Latest posts