What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

murraymob

Coach
Cleary is looking outside the box this year.The last few spots will be filled using a different strategy .A trip down to Westfield KFC there is our prop .local people filling our roster
A trip down the river the guy running in the bike lane there is our center
.it just so happens I love KFC and run in the bike lane .I am still a chance
Up the panthers

Michael Matral

Juniors
No team has NRL very high quality back up halves. Any that are good enough to be a starter will be at a club somewhere else.
I'd say most sides go into the season just hoping their halves are fit most the season.
100% agree Hindy...still..it's not crazy to have as good a quality as you can contingency plan in case of injuries..I feel like we have some solid to great depth for these occurances..

Michael Matral

Juniors
Hidden behind a paywall, so I can't read it.

Here you go Jane

Coach Ivan Cleary told the Herald the Luai and Crichton negotiations had taken longer because they were trying to build a roster that could be “sustainable”.

“This isn’t a case of, ‘Get these deals done and worry about it later’,” Cleary said. “We’re trying to be sustainable and build this over a long period of time. It’s not easy, especially with the year we’ve just had [and success of players].

Advertisement

“With Jarome, he’s a local boy, he’s come through the system and you can always see his energy. Him and ‘Nat’ [Nathan Cleary] are a great combo. They’re so different but they work, and there’s a good opportunity to have those two guys together for a long time.”

Crichton shook hands on a three-year deal worth $500,000 a season last year, only to hold out for more money. He looks set to pocket in excess of $600,000 a season - good money for a second-year centre - while five-eighth Luai will bank around $700,000 a year.

Luai always imagined he would spend his entire career along side his friends at the foot of the mountains, but now knows that is impossible.

“I didn’t think it would have to be like this where people have to move on - I’m realising that now,” Luai told the Herald. “I understand it more now because it’s happening. If I had my way all the boys would stay together. Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way.

“Hopefully I’m not too far off [a new deal]. I want to stay here the rest of my career if I can. We’re all brothers on and off the field. I couldn’t see myself anywhere else. I’d love to get a good deal here in my own backyard and everyone is happy.”

Opinion

NRL 2021

The three reasons the Dragons aborted the signing of Folau

The success of the Panthers has already seen James Tamou shift to the Wests Tigers, Josh Mansour join Souths and Zane Tetevano take up a deal with Leeds, while Dean Whare is bound for Catalans.

Even the slightest increase to a player’s wage causes a ripple effect through a club’s cap.

Luai, Crichton, Brian To’o, Moses Leota, Cleary, along with Spencer Leniu, among others, have all spent most of their careers at the foot of the mountains - and their off-field chemistry played a big part in their long march to last year’s grand final. You only had to see the way they danced around a boom box for lunchtime workers while waiting for a bus on Thursday.

Penrith must decide on their next skipper with Cleary, Isaah Yeo and even James Fisher-Harris in the mix to replace Tamou.

Luai liked Cleary or Yeo and said of the latter: “Isaah is a leader on and off the field, as soon as he talks everyone listens. We all look up to him.″⁣

Save

Jane Murray

Bench
Here you go Jane

Coach Ivan Cleary told the Herald the Luai and Crichton negotiations had taken longer because they were trying to build a roster that could be “sustainable”.

“This isn’t a case of, ‘Get these deals done and worry about it later’,” Cleary said. “We’re trying to be sustainable and build this over a long period of time. It’s not easy, especially with the year we’ve just had [and success of players].

Advertisement

“With Jarome, he’s a local boy, he’s come through the system and you can always see his energy. Him and ‘Nat’ [Nathan Cleary] are a great combo. They’re so different but they work, and there’s a good opportunity to have those two guys together for a long time.”

Crichton shook hands on a three-year deal worth $500,000 a season last year, only to hold out for more money. He looks set to pocket in excess of $600,000 a season - good money for a second-year centre - while five-eighth Luai will bank around $700,000 a year.

Luai always imagined he would spend his entire career along side his friends at the foot of the mountains, but now knows that is impossible.

“I didn’t think it would have to be like this where people have to move on - I’m realising that now,” Luai told the Herald. “I understand it more now because it’s happening. If I had my way all the boys would stay together. Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way.

“Hopefully I’m not too far off [a new deal]. I want to stay here the rest of my career if I can. We’re all brothers on and off the field. I couldn’t see myself anywhere else. I’d love to get a good deal here in my own backyard and everyone is happy.”

Opinion

NRL 2021

The three reasons the Dragons aborted the signing of Folau

The success of the Panthers has already seen James Tamou shift to the Wests Tigers, Josh Mansour join Souths and Zane Tetevano take up a deal with Leeds, while Dean Whare is bound for Catalans.

Even the slightest increase to a player’s wage causes a ripple effect through a club’s cap.

Luai, Crichton, Brian To’o, Moses Leota, Cleary, along with Spencer Leniu, among others, have all spent most of their careers at the foot of the mountains - and their off-field chemistry played a big part in their long march to last year’s grand final. You only had to see the way they danced around a boom box for lunchtime workers while waiting for a bus on Thursday.

Penrith must decide on their next skipper with Cleary, Isaah Yeo and even James Fisher-Harris in the mix to replace Tamou.

Luai liked Cleary or Yeo and said of the latter: “Isaah is a leader on and off the field, as soon as he talks everyone listens. We all look up to him.″⁣

Save
Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

MugaB

Coach
Thanks Frog but growing up Roman Catholic (Croatian at that), I have had my fill of Bible passages and Old Testament rantings. Allegories and fables were a common storytelling tool then as they are now but they aren't meant to be literal.
Welcome fellow croat, i too am from your heritage, and so is Ivan our coach, and by defacto so would nathan too
Maybe we could start an international 9s team, we'll already have a starting half and a coach ... tehe

Last edited:
Are any of you guys getting a bit concerned at how long these contract negotiations are taking? It’s fine to try to achieve sustainability, but surely it doesn’t take months to determine this. I can see more departures as players chase dollars. Your depth is going to be tested with so many places to be filled. You’ll have another good year this year so make the most of it.

WestyLife

First Grade
Are any of you guys getting a bit concerned at how long these contract negotiations are taking? It’s fine to try to achieve sustainability, but surely it doesn’t take months to determine this. I can see more departures as players chase dollars. Your depth is going to be tested with so many places to be filled. You’ll have another good year this year so make the most of it.

The players and club are struggling to agree on just how low the ubders will be.

Club: "we can afford this under the cap".

Player: "oh that's too much remove another 10%".

Club: "we wouldn't dream of it"

Player: "I insist"

Terrible situation.

murraymob

Coach
No
It’s not my wallet the money is coming from.We don’t know if the contracts have been agreed upon just not announcements.Given I have been a life long panther.There have been many years starting where we where looking at best Bottom 2 .This year far better outlook .So when it happens so be it

BxTom

Bench
The players and club are struggling to agree on just how low the ubders will be.

Terrible situation.
You are correct. Who wants players with no self esteem and lacking confidence? (Other than West Tigers that is!)

Luke Bowden

First Grade

Nope, it is what it is.

MugaB

Coach

Terrible situation.
Must be why Wests have so much money, from ALL these types of players staying for unders

Latest posts