What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW - 2021

Brick Tamland

Juniors
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/in...n-player-agent-crackdown-20210120-p56vm8.html

The ARLC is set to launch a major strategy this year with an aim to invest in the grassroots of the game.

The focus will be on increasing participation rates in women's rugby league, which V'landys said will see more financial backing than ever before.

"It's development for all grassroots for male and female, touch and tag," he said. "It's one big strategy plan where participation for us is a major objective of the Commission and naturally one of the focuses is participation by women."

V'landys said the limited four clubs in the NRLW would remain with the Commission opting to take a "bottom up" approach.

"The reason for that is because the actual players themselves believe that there's not enough players to have any more teams because the other women wouldn't be ready for that level," he said.

Tigers1986

Juniors
The league is doomed to fail then. There's plenty of players in the NSW and QLD competitions who can make the step up. A cap on rep players and such can filter out to the other teams and enhance the playing skill.

As a bare minimum, it needs to be 6 rounds with a grand final afterwards.

siv

First Grade
The reality is other than as a TV game day filler during the NRL finals we dont need NRLW

We already have the 6 team Aus Championships and SOO and Trans Tasman tests

In womens RL Qld and NSW are balanced

So a W-NSWRL winner v W-QRL winner on GF Day is a better option long term, sponsorship, TV and player inclusion, fan inclusion and medium term growth

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The league is doomed to fail then. There's plenty of players in the NSW and QLD competitions who can make the step up. A cap on rep players and such can filter out to the other teams and enhance the playing skill.

As a bare minimum, it needs to be 6 rounds with a grand final afterwards.
"Doomed to fail" JFC drop the hyperbole.

I reckon the players are a better judge than you or me of how much talent there is in the leagues. There's no doubt the pool of talented elite players continues to grow but if they believe there's not yet enough for two more teams, I'm inclined to agree. It'd be nice to see 6 rounds but the realities that continue to happen with COVID mean that perhaps now is a time to consolidate rather than keep jumping into the fog.
The reality is other than as a TV game day filler during the NRL finals we dont need NRLW

We already have the 6 team Aus Championships and SOO and Trans Tasman tests

In womens RL Qld and NSW are balanced

So a W-NSWRL winner v W-QRL winner on GF Day is a better option long term, sponsorship, TV and player inclusion, fan inclusion and medium term growth
We get it, you're an advocate for the state comps because your team didn't get a gig.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Its not a simple thing about numbers of skilled players.
Its about getting those skilled players and managing the balance of the state based competitions. The longer you make the WNRL then the shorter you make the state leagues or you take the WNRL players out of the state comps.

We have to beat the AFL to the punch in women's sport else we have no chance to be the no 1 sport in Australia

There is 50% of the population who can be won over here.

It is the singularly most important thing happening in sport in Australia today.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
the benefit of the NRLW over the AFLW is that most of the AFLW games are devoid of skill and are as boring as batshit

True I laugh at how the Victorians are flogging women's AFL when the talent level is lower than a pregnant slug.

And no one watches it.

The whole WOKE moment has a lot to answer for. They have destroyed sport.

Womens Rugby League is at least watchable.

Billythekid

First Grade
We have to beat the AFL to the punch in women's sport else we have no chance to be the no 1 sport in Australia

There is 50% of the population who can be won over here.

It is the singularly most important thing happening in sport in Australia today.

Good luck with that. I support the womens game and i'll continue to do so but the AFLW is leagues ahead right now.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I probably agree with you interms of promotion etc.
But in terms of skill its 1000 years behind. I think the NSW Harvey Norman Woman's RL comp is more skillful than the AFLW

10$ Ferret

Staff member
To be fair I watched a little bit of this years AFLW GF. Alot more skill than I remember, but they still have some shit teams

Brick Tamland

Juniors
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrlw-set-for-immediate-expansion-to-six-teams-20210430-p57nxi.html

NRLW set for immediate expansion to six teams

The NRLW is poised to expand to six teams and have a longer season this year as the code plans for its most aggressive push to grow the women’s game in years.

Having been restricted to just four teams since the competition’s inception in 2018, the NRL is on the brink of adding another two teams to this year’s league before expanding again in 2022.

High level talks of Australian Rugby League Commission directors on Friday agreed about the urgency required to grow the women’s game at both the elite and grassroots level. The Herald has been told of the NRL’s preferred option for NRLW expansion.

It would involve two new franchises joining the Roosters, Dragons, Warriors and Broncos in the 2021 competition, paving the way for clubs to make their pitches for immediate inclusion into the league.

But so desperate are the NRL to keep the momentum going in the women’s game, they have discussed expanding the competition twice within the space of 12 months to include an eight-team format next year.

The news will be a godsend to advocates of the competition, who have argued the NRLW risked becoming stale without adding to the four inaugural teams which have played a rapid four-week season adjacent to the NRL finals series.

The sides only meet each other once in the round robin format with the top two teams qualifying for the grand final.

The format of the preferred six-team competition this year is yet to be determined with NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo to escalate talks with major stakeholders, including broadcast partners and potential naming rights sponsors, before deciding on the length of the season.

But the NRLW is destined to begin in the latter weeks of the NRL’s regular season, providing a greater platform to showcase the women’s game in the lead-up to the men’s finals series.

Abdo and ARLC chairman Peter V’landys met with the Rugby League Players Association’s newly-established women’s advisory group earlier this week to outline their vision for the game.

The players learnt the NRL eventually want to have every club represented by a women’s team, which will be a long-term plan.

The expanded competition is likely to be a potential lure for cross-code stars like rugby union sevens players Charlotte Caslick and Ellia Green, who used the banning of international travel last year during the pandemic to sign short-term NRLW deals. They had led Australia to Olympic gold at Rio in 2016.

Jillaroos pioneer Ruan Sims wrote in her Herald columns last year it was imperative for the NRLW to expand in 2021 if it wanted to continue to attract the best female athletes from a variety of sports.

The NRL will assess the candidates to be immediately added to this year’s competition after several expressed anger and frustration in 2018 when the NRLW was established with just four teams.

The decision aggrieved several clubs who had established women’s pathways programs, including the Sharks and Rabbitohs.

The NRL’s vision for the women’s game doesn’t just involve expansion of the elite competition, it’s also set to include a detailed blueprint about how to encourage more junior participation.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I see the highest profile ALFW player is in some contract dispute over a deal worth $150K.

If the NRLW has 2 new teams to fill with talent, would it be worth the NRL pulling a reverse Folau and poaching her. You would think the publicity would be worth the 150k alone.

One point though is I don't have any clue if she has any talent that would remotely transfer to RL

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Brooke Walker played for victoria in the nationals on the weekend and she had played for Carlton in the AFLW.
Haneen Zreika plays in the harvey norman NSW premiership for Souths and has played a couple of years for GWS.

there are some but not many

Tigers1986

Juniors
I see the highest profile ALFW player is in some contract dispute over a deal worth $150K.

If the NRLW has 2 new teams to fill with talent, would it be worth the NRL pulling a reverse Folau and poaching her. You would think the publicity would be worth the 150k alone.

One point though is I don't have any clue if she has any talent that would remotely transfer to RL

Her only skill is being photographed at an unfortunate time and having the WOKE movement use that as some false ideal of being stunning and brave.

NRLW needs to expand with Cronulla-Sutherland and one of the stronger clubs in the NSW comp, which, again, sees Cronulla, Central Coast and Mounties in contention, possibly St Marys too.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Her only skill is being photographed at an unfortunate time and having the WOKE movement use that as some false ideal of being stunning and brave.

NRLW needs to expand with Cronulla-Sutherland and one of the stronger clubs in the NSW comp, which, again, sees Cronulla, Central Coast and Mounties in contention, possibly St Marys too.

CC are Roosters feeder so already connect to NRLW
Cronulla blew it because they thought their HNWP team was good enough and are not willing to spend the money required, well no that's not how it works.
Mounties may, they are linked with the Bulldogs, but the bulldogs stuffed everything up when they got rid of their HNWP last year and their coach (pre covid) pissed a lot of people off.

I think if there are no Warriors this year there will be 2 more Sydney teams and one QLD team. Based on spending and preparation I see it as Parra and Tigers in Sydney and Titans in QLD.
What is interesting is I head 3 sydney teams have been promised entry this year but I would be very surprised

Latest posts