What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have given a name to my Payne

blue bags

First Grade
'Because you're a woman you think I won't touch ya': Read transcript of giant footy star's explosive showdown with THREE cops as he threatens to bash a female officer in front of his pregnant girlfriend
  • Broncos star Payne Haas has escaped a conviction over a showdown with police
  • Haas was arrested last month in Tweed Heads on while out with his girlfriend
  • The NRL star was charged with using offensive language and intimidating police
  • The footy player was handed a two-year conditional release order on Thursday
  • The court heard Haas threatened officers and said ' f**k off' and 'suck my d**k'
By TITA SMITH FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA and AUSTRALIA ASSOCIATED PRESS

PUBLISHED: 14:28 AEDT, 4 February 2021 | UPDATED: 15:54 AEDT, 4 February 2021

NRL star Payne Haas threatened to bash a female cop and told officers to 'suck my d**k' in an explosive showdown with police all because they asked him for ID.

The NSW Origin and Brisbane Broncos player was drinking his pregnant girlfriend Leilani Moheno at Jack Evans Boat Harbour, in Tweed Heads, on January 16.

Three police officers approached him and asked for ID, but Haas, 21, responded with an expletive-ridden outburst.
Haas was arrested and charged with using offensive language and two counts of intimidating police.

Brisbane Broncos NRL star Payne Haas has been handed a two-year conditional release order after using offensive language and intimidating police in Tweed Head last month. He is pictured leaving court on Thursday

Police facts tendered in court revealed the shocking extent of the Australian national representative's rant when he became aggressive at the police request

He first told Senior-Constable Anthony Attard to 'f**k off' and he did not need to provide his details, the Courier Mail reported.

The officers tried to reason with Haas but he continued his rant, daring them to taser him, the court documents continued.

'You got a badge on and you think you’re a tough f**king merkin. Let’s get the f**k out of here. Just taser me you dumb merkin,' he said.

Officers warned Haas about his language, but he responded: 'Oh, f**k off, suck my d**k. I’ll f**ken take youse all out, you’re f**kwits.'

Haas then threatened to 'jab' Sen Con Attard if he came near him, before turning his attention to Constable Brittany Griffiths.

'Why you looking at me like that? Cause you’re a woman you think I won’t touch ya?' he said to the female officer.

Haas continued to argue with the officers until arriving at the watch house, where he calmed down and apologised, police said.

Police prosecutor Greg Huxtable dropped one charge of intimidating police after Haas agreed to plead guilty to the others in Tweed Heads Local Court on Thursday.

Magistrate Geoff Dunlevy placed a two-year conditional release order on Haas, which he said was a form of good behaviour bond, but warned that if he reoffended he would be re-sentenced more harshly.

38095356-9155425-image-a-9_1610838955313.jpg

Haas (pictured, with partner Leilani Mohenoa) had been at Jack Evans Boat Harbour on Coral Street at Tweed Heads, on the New South Wales north coast, at 10pm on Saturday

Abstaining from recording a conviction, Mr Dunlevy said Haas was entitled to the 'maximum discount' as he had pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity and there were mitigating factors.

'I am satisfied the balance should fall in your favour,' he said.

The magistrate said the sentence was a difficult decision for him as the expectation is that judges and magistrates take a protective stance towards police officers and deter other potential offenders.

He said Haas' good character, good prospects of rehabilitation, and genuine remorse were mitigating factors.

'It seems as if this was a once off event, an anomaly, and unlikely to be repeated again,' Mr Dunlevy said.
The court heard Haas earned $550,000 a season at the Broncos and was paying a $3,000-a-month mortgage.

Haas' lawyer Dave Garratt argued Haas was grieving the recent death of his quadriplegic brother and was emotional about that at the time of the incident.

He said a conviction would be 'quite dire' for the 21-year-old, who hadn't grown up in a stable family environment with both his parents spending time in custody.

Mr Garratt argued that his client's professional rugby league career, which was now under threat, offered the first form of stability in his life.

'Rugby league has been his saviour,' he told the court.

Haas regretted the incident, he said, and even voluntarily went to the Tweed Heads police station to apologise three days after the incident.

Haas' lawyer argued that his client's professional rugby league career, which was now under threat, offered the first form of stability in his life

'That demonstrates a high level of remorse on his behalf,' he said.

Haas' pregnant partner was in the court room for his hearing with his lawyer saying that the couple just wanted to get on with their lives.

'He's learnt his lesson, he's completely shattered by this,' Mr Garratt said.

Mr Dunlevy said the psychological impact of Haas' brother's death on his mental health and his tough upbringing were mitigating factors.

He said the incident had only lasted three minutes, but it had put Haas' life at the crossroads.

'These three minutes were a momentous three minutes in your life,' Mr Dunlevy said.

Though a rising star of the game, it isn't the first time Haas has been in trouble with the NRL's behavioural watchdog.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...conviction-showdown-police-rant-revealed.html

Haas was fined $20,000 and suspended for the opening four rounds of the 2019 NRL season for failing to comply with an NRL integrity unit investigation over a matter involving members of his family

Broncos star Payne Hass escapes conviction over showdown with police as his rant is revealed

Vee

First Grade
To his credit, the quotes in court are from him, not his junkie lawyer, and indicate more remorse than the canned quotes delivered by mouthpieces on behalf of their clients usual in these cases.

It's not much but it's something and go to indicating genuine remorse rather than BS "poor me" pleading.

no name

Coach
He’d probably the only bloke to go through Jack Evans boat harbour at that time of night and not get hassled by the local homeless crew.

AJB1102

First Grade
The NRL integrity unit will hand down a punishment in the next two days. Personally, my club should’ve sacked him as soon as he pleaded guilty and the court sentenced him.

He'd have 15 other clubs blowing his phone up with big $ offers before he left the CEO's office.

jc155776

Coach
Mods deleted my post calling his initial lawyer Campbell McCallum a coke user when he’s just been convicted of a number of cocaine possession charges. Called it potential defamation, what mod doesn’t read the news here?

Latest posts